Introduce yourself here!

New users start here! Introductions, forum information, rules and guidelines.
FireRat
eBay: none
Initials: RAT

Re: Introduce yourself here!

Post by FireRat » January 29th, 2019, 12:24 am

Hello! I'm FireRat, aka Hcktrox, from Chile, and I'm a Sega Genesis/Megadrive developer.

My story with the arcade games is quite weird. Where I live, I didn't met any arcade machines until very late. My cousins had a Sega MD pack, and I had a particular taste for the "fast" games, such as Contra Hard Corps, Sonic the Hedgehog, Shmups and the like. Then someone gifted me a MAME pack for a birthday, and I played what I found to be the best games at the time. With the time though, I learnt on how to work for the MD from the Sonic hacking forums, and by 2015 our team and I released our first "complete" game (sonic romhack) called Mobius Evolution. Time later I'd participate in a hacking contest with a small minihack in another team, and we awarded the 3rd place!. I don't "play" too much anymore though, I'd rather watch longplays from other games now, to analyze them: Design choices, visual programming, gameplay flaws, that kind of stuff. Lately, I'd only run a game by myself if I had to do frame-by-frame analysis or debugging. Nor I could afford buying any "real hardware" to test on, I rely on emulators and sending ROMs to a friend (with the HW) from time to time. In other words, I'm a fan from the "outside" :P

Since Mobius' original creator had to leave, he left me in charge of the sequel, with permission to recycle any scrapped artwork from previous game(s). There's not much time to develop it, and final version wouldn't last more than 20 minutes of first-time play, so I'm treating it like a spin-off, with a higher emphasis on visual effects and Experimental gameplay. I rewrote most of the Sonic engine's libraries (sprite mapper, scroll engine, etc) in the previous years, with a couple physics tweaks here and there. I want to try my first "arcade" game, and if there's some bare time left, I'd even try to port it to Sega MegaPlay or System C2, unless that doesn't sounds like a good idea.
My main concern though is whether or not do I understand the "arcade" style correctly! And this is why, in all honesty, I'd like to ask as many things as possible here. For example, if should coins should really equal continues, or why everything "must" have a time counter. I'm trying to look for as much information as I can, but I still have my doubts. Am I allowed to ask about that?

Btw wanted to post my MD sequence/vfx reel, but looks like I don't have permission to use the media tag :P

cmoliveira
eBay: cliffoliveira
Initials: CMO

Cliff from Toronto!

Post by cmoliveira » January 29th, 2019, 9:13 pm

Hi All,

My name is Cliff and I'm from Toronto, Ontario in Canada. I have many video games (too much to list) but I will say I just got my first arcade and it is a Sega Blast City. Just finished restoring it, buying up some CPS1/2 boards and ordering some marquees/instruction strips. Currently it is playing Street Fighter Alpha 2.

The forum has been a real help and I'm looking forward to contributing to the community. :D

meloyelo51
eBay: meloyelo51
Initials: MRM

Post by meloyelo51 » January 30th, 2019, 12:13 am

Hello!

My name is Matt and I am usually more well known on Pinside and KLOV. You may have seen me on Ebay as well.
I was referred to check the site out by one of my customers looking for help, so I just joined.

I specialize in ROM/EPROM burning and would love to help the community if you need anything in that regard.

I finally started a website about a year ago as more and more people were interested in Roms. Feel free to check it out!
https://mattsbasementarcade.com/

Thanks
Matt

artik
eBay: jeff.artik

Post by artik » January 30th, 2019, 9:58 am

Hello Acrcade fan! New owner of a vewlix L :D

82retr0gamer
eBay: 82retr0gamer
Initials: DWZ

Post by 82retr0gamer » January 30th, 2019, 11:47 am

Hi my name is Dirk, the passion started as a child. Where I came into contact with Arcade for the first time. Now I have a blast and a neo cab at Home. :wink:

hackbar
eBay: mharris

Post by hackbar » January 31st, 2019, 5:21 am

I'm new here.

I have some Naomi machines - Crazy Taxi and Airline Pilots (single screen sitdown).

I'm hoping to find some parts for these games. Mine are complete and working, but missing some little metal things. The stuff that always gets lost when operators get lazy.

cheezburgah
eBay: cheezburgah
Initials: chz

Post by cheezburgah » January 31st, 2019, 12:05 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm the owner of a Vewlix Cab. Looking forward to sharing and picking up some tips and tricks.

Thanks.

smoere
eBay: none

Post by smoere » January 31st, 2019, 10:29 pm

Hello all,

I'm in search of a candy cab and this seems like a solid location for general info and the marketplace that currently seems to have a nice selection of cabs.

Regards!

Macaiah
eBay: beany1luv

Post by Macaiah » February 2nd, 2019, 6:02 am

Konichiwa!!!

Name's Jon and I live on Okinawa. I grew up in arcades in the 80's and 90's. I have been in Japan for a little over 20 years and have finally decided to buy a cab. G-Balance inbound with a TTX2 and TTX3, there may actually be another TTX2 in the cab...didn't bother to ask because the it was too good of a deal to care.

I hope to learn a lot from you guys and gals as I can't help but tinker with EVERYTHING that I buy :awe:

Fstrike
eBay: 123bounthavy
Initials: BDH

Post by Fstrike » February 3rd, 2019, 3:44 am

Hi there everyone just a guy from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada who grew up in arcades and now as an adult want to collect and play games that I loved back then.

mettle64
eBay: justafewcomics
Initials: TLC

Post by mettle64 » February 4th, 2019, 3:41 pm

Hi There!

Started a pinball collection a few years ago and looking to expand the game room! Taught myself a few things with an upright Atomiswave, but really enjoying shmups lately so trying to learn about candy cabinets and getting one to the Midwest.

Tyler

hsien88
eBay: hsien90210

Post by hsien88 » February 5th, 2019, 4:50 am

Hello! Just got 2 Vewlix L cabinets..looking to connect PS4 and Raspberry pi to them!

ZoomBoy
eBay: ryanpee
Initials: RDP

Post by ZoomBoy » February 5th, 2019, 12:50 pm

Hi all, recently fell down the rabbit hole on Vewlix and Vewlix clones. Now I'm currently pricing out a clone with a local importer, building a custom PC and sourcing Taito chairs. Expensive, yes - bringing me back to the childhood I couldn't have, hell yes!

Hoping to gain a lot of knowledge and insight from this forum, and maybe make a friend or two. Thanks for having me.

Takosuke
eBay: rom-cd
Initials: ROM

Post by Takosuke » February 6th, 2019, 5:45 am

Heya!

New member here, but lurker for years.
I moved to CA from Paris in 2010. Back there I had a KI2 Arcade Cab with a bunch of PCBs and MVS. I donated most of it to my coworkers.

Starting again recently to get back into the game in California, and got myself a Kyotaro 29" that I am working on restoring https://takoarcade.blogspot.com/

Currently have CPS2, STV and having a Naomi 2 setup and MVS coming up soon

Looking fwd to participating here a bit more!

JoeAwesome
eBay: aniousjoe
Initials: JOE

Post by JoeAwesome » February 6th, 2019, 6:58 pm

Hello, everyone!

I'm Joe from TX (USA). I've used PCBs with a Sigma Raijin for a few years, but I've recently picked up a Naomi Universal Cabinet, my first arcade.

I'm looking to find more information about the cabinet from users here, as this cabinet needs some restoration love, and it's a European cabinet in the States :eh:

I have a presence on other forums, but I'm definitely interested in staying here for cab help and camaraderie!

vandarkholme
eBay: ka759948
Initials: VAN

Post by vandarkholme » February 7th, 2019, 5:54 pm

Hey Guys,

I'm Van from Poland. Big fighting game fan, especially sf3 third strike and kof98!
Got already a couple of pcb's but wishing to get a real cab one day, but maybe I need to build a basement for that first ; )

Cheers!

yosai
280bpm's too slow
eBay: yosai

Post by yosai » February 7th, 2019, 6:05 pm

vandarkholme wrote:
February 7th, 2019, 5:54 MP
Big fighting game fan, especially sf3 third strike
Good choice. :thumbup: :awe:
vandarkholme wrote:
February 7th, 2019, 5:54 MP
I need to build a basement for that first ; )
Sounds like an awesome project, good luck. Make sure you document the process if it goes ahead.

7thStar
eBay: rain.rx7
Initials: CDR

Post by 7thStar » February 8th, 2019, 2:24 am

Hello,
My name is Colt.
My Wife and I have a Namco DDR Extreme (Running Stepmania)
We are trying to Consolize/Supergun a Kaneko Super Nova System.

Thanks!

real
eBay: retro-k
Initials: RIL

Post by real » February 10th, 2019, 5:36 pm

Hello world!

Been collecting on and off since the mid-nineties.

Always in need of more space. :)

Real

Endprodukt
eBay: iiendproduktii
Initials: Oli

Post by Endprodukt » February 10th, 2019, 10:27 pm

Hi there!

The name is Olli.

I'm 32, living in northern Germany. I have a 4 years old daughter.

My first arcade cabinet was a Mk1 empty. I made into a pretty cool Mame cabinet. I also have a universal cocktail table and three pinball machines (Indiana Jones, Terminator and White water).

Newest addition is a Sega Naomi the I'm gonna fully restore and I hope to find some help.

Hope to have a good time here!

Olli