Forum questions, suggestions and bugs.

New users start here!
Introductions, forum information, rules and guidelines.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Re: What do YOU want out of Arcade Otaku?

Post by cools »

kazuo wrote:Set up a channel if anyone wants to come chat. I'm usually idle but I keep my eyes open on IRC if I'm at my box.

irc.slashnet.org
channel is #arcadeotaku

You will need an IRC client to access the channel.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_IRC_clients

Any will work fine, I personally use xircon on Windows (oooold). Others prefer mIRC, mibbit whatever

Have fun
JAVA irc client now available
John James Pacinelli
Loving SSFIV

Post by John James Pacinelli »

Movie section?
Vagina
SuperPang
Master or universe
eBay: *_*
Initials: JOE

Post by SuperPang »

John James Pacinelli wrote:Movie section?
Personally I don't think it would get used enough to justify it. Also, we're an arcade gaming forum. What next, music section? TV section? This stuff belongs in chat.
markedkiller78
Pony fucker
eBay: markedkiller78
Initials: MAL

Post by markedkiller78 »

I want someone to sell DFK in the sales section again
John James Pacinelli
Loving SSFIV

SuperPang wrote:
John James Pacinelli wrote:Movie section?
Personally I don't think it would get used enough to justify it. Also, we're an arcade gaming forum. What next, music section? TV section? This stuff belongs in chat.
BUT KC was an arcade forum too and it had a movie section :awe:

I don't think it would get used enough-> The "quantum of solace is crap" thread got 8 pages :awe:
I believe the section would be a success, we all know ppl love to argue over movies ;) :awe:
Vagina
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools »

Feel free to discuss them in general chat :)
John James Pacinelli
Loving SSFIV

Ok, no love for the Pacinel :cry: :lol:
Vagina
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools »

Been working through a few bits - we've now got feedback, and a chatroom (Hi to all 4 of the other regular idler's).
invzim wrote:A stable place for useful technical reference documentation - but with the download/tutorial sections removed, I for one simply can't be bothered to contribute content.
Bear with me - what follows might come off sounding snobby and it's not meant like that, it's a genuine concern if anyone's put off posting quality resources because of the set up here.

Forums are inherently unstable, and dedicated sections for downloads/tutorials I feel simply create confusion rather than solving it. In my experience the majority of people will choose to ask a question rather than search for the information they require - so they'll hit up the most likely named section and post a new topic, completely ignoring the search button and/or the tutorial section.

There are also a limited number of topics shown per page. If they do decide to check the tutorial section or search, it's unlikely they'll look past the first one, maybe two pages to find an answer.

Well maintained stickies/FAQs solve these problems - an example is here http://www.arcadeotaku.com/forum/viewto ... f=4&t=1680 (although it's not maintained, it's the kind of thing I'm thinking of).

What do you think?
Devil Soundwave
Doesn't go to eleven
eBay: DevilSoundwave

Post by Devil Soundwave »

cools wrote:
Well maintained stickies/FAQs solve these problems - an example is here viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1680 (although it's not maintained, it's the kind of thing I'm thinking of).

What do you think?
Great idea. I've found the where to buy one in the sale section particularly useful.
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

I would like to say that I have now got exactly what I wanted from arcadeotaku,this is a vibrant forum with a diverse array of members
Maybe for the first time in my forum life I am almost happy :awe:
SuperPang
Master or universe

Post by SuperPang »

cools wrote: Well maintained stickies/FAQs solve these problems - an example is here viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1680 (although it's not maintained, it's the kind of thing I'm thinking of).

What do you think?
I think I've come around to your way of thinking actually, its more versatile and less overcrowded this way.
jonny5
Tremendous Woody

Post by jonny5 »

any chance of a pop-up window when you have PM's?

....its really easy to not notice when you have messages
on the loose
jonny5
Tremendous Woody

Post by jonny5 »

kernow wrote:You can enable that in the options, been there since the start.

User control panel -> board preferences -> Pop up window on new private message: Yes/No
:oops: i thought it was odd that it wouldnt have something so simple

thanx captain kern.....

also...when do you sleep....i see you on here in the middle of your nights all the time.... :awe:
on the loose
jonny5
Tremendous Woody

Post by jonny5 »

kernow wrote:kern doesn't sleep - he waits
:lol: and tweaks.....
on the loose
hedorah
Please Continue...

Post by hedorah »

I would love to see some kind of front page with feature articles. i.e. reviews, faq's, arcade / japan reports. But then again, this would take some form of dedicated editorial personnel that would be willing to offer this up. I would be more than happy to offer occasional japan / arcade trip reports, but again this needs to be a concentrated effort by many people or none at all. Maybe a better angle if you were serious going this direction would be to talk to someone like Oichi at Versus City and discuss some kind of sister site sharing or merger. But the flipside of this is that moving this direction will most likely drastically change the community on the site. Expect an influx of new users. So if you want to stay a small close knit community I would actually suggest against this to be honest.

Also

-A dedicated chat room (or just a redirect to an irc channel) would be great as well.

-I disagree with limiting new users with posting privileges. I stumbled across this site because I was having technical problems with my first cabinet, and if I was limited to not being able to create new posts I would have not stuck around.

-Some way to mark completed posts in the Trading forum as Dead and then trashed. I find no value in looking at sale threads for items that are already sold, but maybe that is just me?

-Steer away from more sub forums, I know some people really like the approach of 50 subforums, but I find that experience to splinter the community and take away from the cohesive whole. But again, maybe thats just me.
hedorah
Please Continue...

Post by hedorah »

kernow wrote:We have a dedicated IRC channel already, and a wiki :)
Haha! Doh! :awe:

Would help if I did some research once in awhile before posting. Wheeeeeee....
skykid
1-ALL DOJ doesn't count.

Post by skykid »

I want the search function to work properly. It seems really hit and miss (mostly miss.)
I'll often type in the exact keywords from a thread title and turn up nothing - but go searching a few pages and there it is.

:think:
Always outnumbered, never outgunned.
SuperPang wrote: Where DOJ rapes you, DFK grabs your boob then runs away.
SuperPang
Master or universe

Post by SuperPang »

hedorah wrote:I would love to see some kind of front page with feature articles. i.e. reviews, faq's, arcade / japan reports.
http://www.arcadeotaku.com/wiki is a work in progress and everyone is welcome to contribute. We're primarily a "candy cab forum" so while the odd bit of arcade news is a good idea (and such a front page may one day appear), we don't want to evolve into too much of a general Japan blog.
-A dedicated chat room (or just a redirect to an irc channel) would be great as well.
Like wonker said, see the chat section ;)
-I disagree with limiting new users with posting privileges. I stumbled across this site because I was having technical problems with my first cabinet, and if I was limited to not being able to create new posts I would have not stuck around.
Every first post now needs to be approved by a moderator. This helps us pick out spambots. Hopefully the post shouldn't be waiting approval too long and it guarantees zero spam.
-Some way to mark completed posts in the Trading forum as Dead and then trashed. I find no value in looking at sale threads for items that are already sold, but maybe that is just me?
Sales posts are automatically purged after 28 days of inactivity.
-Steer away from more sub forums, I know some people really like the approach of 50 subforums, but I find that experience to splinter the community and take away from the cohesive whole. But again, maybe thats just me.
Cools has been of this opinion from the start, and you're both dead right. That's why most sections are available from the index page. Theres a forum suitable for every post and they all get a decent amount of use, with the possible exception of the supergun section, which I still stand by as theres so little supergun info on the net. And superguns rock.
skykid
1-ALL DOJ doesn't count.

Post by skykid »

I want Superpang to take my PM's seriously. :lol:
Always outnumbered, never outgunned.
SuperPang wrote: Where DOJ rapes you, DFK grabs your boob then runs away.
jpj

Post by jpj »

What do YOU want out of Arcade Otaku?
poolchamp reinstated as a mod :awe: