Wei-Ya 3129B in 15k

For monitor related issues
throneofwolves

Wei-Ya 3129B in 15k

Post by throneofwolves »

Hi folks,

I've read quite a bit of negative comments with regards to this chassis in 15k and was wondering if any of you would be so kind as to elaborate on what exactly makes it a bad chassis for 15k? Is it geometry issues/convergence issues/heavy scanlines/colour depth?

I'm considering buying a Blast City as I absolutely love the design above all other cabs that I've seen, but since it seems the chassis is doomed to failure no matter what, I'd definitely have to pass if the Wei-Ya is absolutley pants in 15k.

If any of you happen to own a Blast with a 3129B installed on original hardware (Nanao MS29-31 etc), pics of it running in 15k would be such a massive help. :thumbup:

Thanks.
Last edited by throneofwolves on December 2nd, 2009, 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
I need not...the NORMALS!
throneofwolves

Re: Wei-Ya 3129B in 15k

Post by throneofwolves »

I'd just like to add that I have already browsed every page on this sub-forum and the only related info I've found which goes beyond "wei-ya is rubbish in 15k" is the following:
capcomguru wrote:The weiya (blast city) replacement chassis is pretty much trash. The 31khz was OK, but the black level was either always washed out, or had a purple hue to it. I never did find a happy medium that looked acceptable for any of my games. The geometry was OK, nothing to brag about. 15khz was a joke. The right hand side of the screen literally compresses. Its especially noticable when a cross-hatch test screen is displayed. Not recommended whatsoever, unless you're on an extreme budget and can't afford anything else.
...which most likely answers my quesion! I'm just curious as to whether or not this is always the case when the 3129B is used in conjunction with Nanao MS29-31 hardware.
zorahk
AO Awards 2009 Winner

Post by zorahk »

If you find a working nanao ms2931 you wont have to suffer :)

I was talking to craig and it seems that the goop has nothing to do with the monitor failing.
There is a component on the board, some horizontal coil, that has fluid in it which leaks and dries up, causing the goop. However, this does not prevent that part nor the board itself from working, and it is non-conductive so it really can't cause any harm.

I couldn't find any information about these "problems" everyone seems to have on the Japanese-speaking internet. The only reference I could find to nanao monitor issues was if your flyback dies you wont get a replacement. There was no mention of the goop or anything of the sort.

In all the research I have done, it seems that the most likely explanation for people's issues is that the auto-sensing circuit dies, and you therefore need to change the resolution forcefully and try to get it to display a picture.
хорошо!
throneofwolves

Post by throneofwolves »

zorahk wrote:If you find a working nanao ms2931 you wont have to suffer :)

I was talking to craig and it seems that the goop has nothing to do with the monitor failing.
There is a component on the board, some horizontal coil, that has fluid in it which leaks and dries up, causing the goop. However, this does not prevent that part nor the board itself from working, and it is non-conductive so it really can't cause any harm.

I couldn't find any information about these "problems" everyone seems to have on the Japanese-speaking internet. The only reference I could find to nanao monitor issues was if your flyback dies you wont get a replacement. There was no mention of the goop or anything of the sort.

In all the research I have done, it seems that the most likely explanation for people's issues is that the auto-sensing circuit dies, and you therefore need to change the resolution forcefully and try to get it to display a picture.
Yeah, I read through the goop thread before I posted my query, and while it's comforting to know that it isn't responsible for the chassis failure, unfortunately that doesn't change the fact that the MS29-31 has an alarming failure rate and that the only replacement chassis is supposedly rubbish (assuming the jumper from the v-synv to c/h-sync doesn't work).

Thanks for the input man, much appreciated.
zorahk
AO Awards 2009 Winner

Post by zorahk »

unfortunately that doesn't change the fact that the MS29-31 has an alarming failure rate
There's no evidence to support that it has less of a failure rate than the Wei Ya 3129b or any other Nanao chassis for that matter.
When a Nanao ms9 fails, you go buy a new chassis for 150 USD and no one thinks anything of it. When a ms2931 fails, the chassis are so expensive and rare (something like 700USD, which is almost as much as I paid for my complete Nanao ms2931 after shipping) that people complain on the internet as per usual.

Keep in mind these were manufactured in 1996, then rethink it. The Wei Ya hasn't even been around 5 years, much less 13.

Also aside from a few people having problems in the U.S. where these were put in walmarts and left on 24/7 (yeah no **** it's gonna melt), I haven't found anything online in Japanese on it. There was something indicating that there was one batch that may have been more prone to failure but I believe this has to do with the autosync circuit as well. The exact verbiage was something like "kou ni sareteinai kedo, fuguai ga deru rotto ga arimashita" - not very specific at all

Also the weiya 3129b is total crap in 15k and you'd be better off buying a full new monitor if you don't get a ms2930 or ms2931 that works.
хорошо!
throneofwolves

Post by throneofwolves »

Hmmm, all excellent and perfectly valid points there, especially the manufacture dates as I somehow hadn't even taken those into consideration! :wtf:

You've been a great help dude, many thanks for your input.
Last edited by throneofwolves on December 2nd, 2009, 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

collectors-go buy a sanwa pfx or wg9800 for BIG money and perfect geometry
arcade owner-go buy a wei ya or rodotron because its perfectly acceptable in all resolutions

and thats the bottom line
zorahk
AO Awards 2009 Winner

Post by zorahk »

grantspain wrote:collectors-go buy a sanwa pfx or wg9800 for BIG money and perfect geometry
arcade owner-go buy a wei ya or rodotron because its perfectly acceptable in all resolutions

Right, but since I'm assuming he is a collector he likely will not be satisfied with a wei ya or rodotron and should get a Nanao/Sanwa/Toshiba monitor instead.

I don't know how it is in Europe, but in the US there are still NOS MS2931 and Sanwa PFX @ sega USA.
хорошо!
throneofwolves

Post by throneofwolves »

zorahk wrote:Right, but since I'm assuming he is a collector he likely will not be satisfied with a wei ya or rodotron and should get a Nanao/Sanwa/Toshiba monitor instead.

I don't know how it is in Europe, but in the US there are still NOS MS2931 and Sanwa PFX @ sega USA.
Yeah, I doubt I'd be satisfied with a Wei-Ya/Rodotron chassis given all the negative comments that I've read about them.

Anyway, the Blast City I'm considering has a fully working Nanao MS29-31 installed, I'm just waiting on pictures to assess the condition of the chassis/monitor/innards etc.
zorahk
AO Awards 2009 Winner
3129B in 15k

Post by zorahk »

If it works it likely still will; like I said I read somewhere that there may have been a single batch with some weird bug but that the rest should be okay; these were also used in net cities, and sega f355 challenge, and you don't hear many issues with those.
хорошо!
zumbito
eBay: jaime5171

Post by zumbito »

grantspain wrote:collectors-go buy a sanwa pfx or wg9800 for BIG money and perfect geometry

I know this is really old but can you put a Sanwa PFX in a BC? Same tube and yoke just as Weiya?
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

zumbito wrote:

I know this is really old but can you put a Sanwa PFX in a BC? Same tube and yoke just as Weiya?
no as blast city are 0.200mh yoke and sanwa pfx are 0.300mh yoke
zumbito
eBay: jaime5171

Post by zumbito »

grantspain wrote:
zumbito wrote:

no as blast city are 0.200mh yoke and sanwa pfx are 0.300mh yoke
Ok thanks Grant!