Remote for 15/24kHz switching on Nanao MS9

For monitor related issues
DandySephy
Please Continue...
Initials: SEP

Re: Remote for 15/24kHz switching on Nanao MS9 *wiring done*

Post by DandySephy »

I finally have my convertor after waiting for two weeks.

And then I discover the auction was just for the board, no wiring harness included. So now i need to bodge some wiring up. this also means i cant test it today

ckong
Please Continue...

Post by ckong »

@emphatic, how are your tests doing? Are you satisfied with the result? Lot of tweaking involved?
pubjoe
Fosters Political Ambitions

Post by pubjoe »

^ What he said :-)

Also, Im very curious about what you said about the length of wire possibly degrading picture quality. ...I'm very dim on this stuff, but I thought this was playing with jumpers, not wires that carry any signal.
emphatic
Breastfeeds when required
eBay: jorgen_sjolander
Initials: JOR

Post by emphatic »

pubjoe wrote:^ What he said :-)

Also, Im very curious about what you said about the length of wire possibly degrading picture quality. ...I'm very dim on this stuff, but I thought this was playing with jumpers, not wires that carry any signal.
Sorry lads, I've been way busy with all kinds of stuff. Likely I'll find some more time tomorrow or at least before the end of the week. And I wouldn't worry about picture quality, just difference in sync settings. :awe:
pubjoe

Post by pubjoe »

Fairy muff, no worries.

...and yeah, I missunderstood that bit about the sync, cheers.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

I've had the swine flu-shot the other day, so I can't really use my arm right now. :( But if I get it working tomorrow, I'll get the cable tested as soon as the kids are off to kindergarten.
emphatic

Re: Remote for 15/24kHz switching on Nanao MS9 *tested working*

Post by emphatic »

Well, today I pulled the back door of my EGRET II, carefully removed the chassis from the shelf and rotated it to gain access to the jumpers. Installed the remote cables CORRECTLY, placed the chassis on the shelf, and turned the cabinet on. Behold, a perfectly stable 24kHz image! :awe: No extra tweaking on any pots either, so perhaps my previous estimates were premature.

Testing pending for 15kHz of course, but I don't see why it won't work as well. Tonight I'll give that a try.
pubjoe

Post by pubjoe »

Nice one! :awe:
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

:think:

I tested 15kHz now, and it made me think the monitor died again. :( I'm really starting to think that this is a bad idea.

When I installed the cables this morning, I went from 24kHz using original Jumpers -> 24kHz using the remote cables. But then when I switched from 24kHz remote cables -> 15khz remote cables the screen made a bit scary sound (like a degauss gone crazy) but didn't "ignite" so to speak. Turned the cab off, then tried again. No sound, just the marquee coming on.

I then switched the remote cables to 24kHz again (as I know this needed no tweaking) and fired the cab up, but to my great horror, the monitor was still refusing to turn on. :crazy: There was still some hope in my mind that my precious Nanao was still working, so I opened the cab, rotated the chassis and removed my remote cables. Set everything in place, turned on the cab. It took a good 10 seconds or so, but the screen came back on! :think:

Theories?

Mine:
a) The chassis was already running 24kHz before the remote cables was attached, thus working because there was some electric charge mucking about?
b) The cabinet needs to wait for some time after a switch is made, otherwise the chassis won't switch back on?
c) Something about my cable work is off
d) While pulling on the remote cables to change the jumpers, something got shorted on the chassis, and some safety thing was triggered not allowing it to turn on?

As I've done the jumper-switch a few times now, I feel that it's not much harder to do than having this remote in the cab (takes me a good 5 minutes to change the jumper and it's not very hard to do really once you've done it). If someone else is willing to try my cables, we can arrange something. I fear my monitor will break as Futari is incoming, I really want it to work. ;)
ckong
Please Continue...

Post by ckong »

That is a strange behaviour :eh: Wouldn't know what the cause could be, but it seems unlikely that the wirng schema used for the harnas is wrong. I mean, you only made an extension to the existing wirng. So, could perhaps be something wrong with the soldering.

however, I am willing to try the harnas on my NAC, if you want me too. If so, please PM me because I probably need some more details and perhaps a few parts.

And when my FT 1.5 copy arrives in a few days, I hopefully will have a nice test goal.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

PM'd. :awe:
ckong
Please Continue...

Post by ckong »

I received the 15/24 Khz extension harnas from emphatic yesterday to do some more testing on a NAC. I installed the harnas in my cab, only using 15khz with a normal PCB (so there was no harnas connected to the 24K connector on the chassis). I checked and double checked the connections, also if there was contimuity on the right pins, and switched the cab on.

I immediately switched the cab off agian because there was a pretty loud 'hisssssss' sound coming from the chassis (or monitor, I couldn't tell in this split second). Then I removed the harnas and connected 15K in the normal way. I switched the cab on and everything was normal again. 8-)

I installed the harnas again, but there was this creepy sound again. Normal connection does work. I tried it a few times, but each and every time I heard this weird sound.

so before I even can start to test the harnas in combination with 15/24Khz switching, I'm stuck!

What could cause the 'hisssssss' sound?
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Did you use the red or the black female connector I wonder. Because in hindsight, my successful test only used the red female harness connected to the 24kHz then to the Jumper part of the harness.

My test:
Connecting the red cable to 24kHz
Connecting the black cable to 15kHz
Connecting the male to the Jumper

Attaching the red cable (24kHz) to the Jumper -> switch cab on = working
Attaching the black cable (24kHz to the Jumper -> switch cab on = scared much of scary hissing sound

Suggested testing setup:
Connecting the red cable to 15kHz
Attaching the red cable to the Jumper extension

If this does not work, then I guess that:
a) some pots need tweaking
b) 15khz doesn't like the extended wires

ckong
Please Continue...

Post by ckong »

emphatic wrote: Suggested testing setup:
Connecting the red cable to 15kHz
Attaching the red cable to the Jumper extension

If this does not work, then I guess that:
a) some pots need tweaking
b) 15khz doesn't like the extended wires

Did what you suggested, same hissing sound. don't know what the problem could be, perhaps the length of the harnas wiring?

I didn't try the 24K connection yet with the extension harnas, but if it fails to work at 15K, then the harnas is of no use.

Well, this idea of a harnas was worth a try, but the UVC still is an awesome videosignal converter.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

ckong wrote:Well, this idea of a harnas was worth a try, but the UVC still is an awesome videosignal converter.
Yes, the UVC is AWESOME. :awe:
dieKatze88

Post by dieKatze88 »

I know its a bit late to be bumping this, but is there any reason we couldn't use a relay to do the switching VERY close to the chassis reducing the wirelength to the acceptable limits? that way we could simply put power into the Relays when we want 24khz and default to 15khz. That could work, and could still be remote switchable!
I stream myself playing Otomedius when I get bored
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/otomedius" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pubjoe

Post by pubjoe »

Sounds good dk.
julius blaze
Please Continue...
eBay: pincer_attack

Re: Remote for 15/24kHz switching on Nanao MS9 *tested worki

Post by julius blaze »

Hi guys, I want to make one of these, does anyone have part numbers for mouser or digikey or any other site for the connectors? I'd rather avoid buying FIFTY on ebay.
pubjoe

Post by pubjoe »

Emphatic might have some spares you could buy off him. I don't think anyone got it working though.

In theory it should be possible. Maybe extra cable sheilding?
julius blaze
Please Continue...
eBay: pincer_attack

Post by julius blaze »

pubjoe wrote:Emphatic might have some spares you could buy off him. I don't think anyone got it working though.

In theory it should be possible. Maybe extra cable sheilding?
I'm in the U.S., so shipping from Europe would be a pain, it's probably easier, should someone know some part numbers. (WHY is buying electrical components such a pain, with obscure part numbers, NO DESCRIPTIONS or pictures UGH.)

I'm not trying to do anything fancy, just a jumper switch, I'm not even converting anything, I want to play HNG64 in medium res without reaching behind to the chassis...

If anyone has the connectors I could buy or part numbers, that'd be great!

edit: I found the male connector and the female HOUSINGS at these links:

http://www.alliedelec.com/search/produc ... KU=8630603"
http://www.alliedelec.com/search/produc ... KU=8630373"

I cannot find the female pins on this site though, UGH.