PC monitor to Arcade monitor for Mame

For monitor related issues
dave_m
Please Continue...
PC monitor to Arcade monitor for Mame

Post by dave_m »

This might be familiar as I posted a question about this over at KC a while back!

I have an MVS-u4 cab which has been MAME'd with a PC and 21" PC monitor. The monitor sits in a custom wooden mount which is bolted onto the original 25" arcade monitor chassis. I am considering buying a 25" arcade monitor (videotronics old monitor- £80 and probably with quite a bit of screen burn) as a replacement. As a complete Noob and someone with zero knowledge of electronics I have a few questions:

- If I get a Polo monitor will there be a reasonable chance it will fit the chassis? (designed for 25" visible)
- The power on my cab is via a 4-gang socket. Assuming I can plug the new monitor into this and it fits into my chassis do I need to worry about voltages and electrocuting myself! I'll be connecting it up to the Mame PC inside via an arcadevga card. I'm hoping it will be as simple as connecting the monitor to the cab and it works - is this unrealistic?

Cheers - Dave.
Mellor
Please Continue...
Initials: MEL

Re: PC monitor to Arcade monitor for Mame

Post by Mellor »

Hey Dave,

Welcom to the forum ;)

You should be able to get the monitor to fit. As long as the original screen was 25" the monitor tube will be the same size, they are usually almost identical. The monitor you get from Mo will probably already be seated in a metal frame. I assume this is what you mean by chassis. Chassis with a monitor usually refers to the PCB attached to the picture tube.

You would be able to power the chassis (monitor pcb) with the right connector (live, neutral & earth on the chassis) straight from mains, on a Polo there is no need for isolation. The power should still come from your switching PSU. Are you using a Jpac or similiar? As the video input to the monitor will come from the RGB, Vid ground, Sync connectors from the jamma edge. These would have to be wired up to the monitor chassis also. It may sound a bit more complicated than it is.

You will find arcade monitors to be more noisy, more tempremental and a bit more dangerous than the cased PC one. However I am sure the reason is for authentic effect.
Last edited by Mellor on September 9th, 2008, 11:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dave_m
Please Continue...

Post by dave_m »

Thanks Mellor. Sounds like I could give it a shot :)
Mellor
Please Continue...
Initials: MEL

Post by Mellor »

He'll have loads of those monitors in. Try and pull them out into direct light and look for dark shadowy burn in. You may as well choose the best. He's a nice chap, his place is quite surreal. Like an arcade related steptoe! I could spend most of the day ruffling through his stuff!