Hantarex Polo/2 28 Star problem

For monitor related issues
doodles
Please Continue...

Hantarex Polo/2 28 Star problem

Post by doodles »

I picked up a cabinet with a Hantarex Polo/2 28 Star monitor that has no picture - there is a faint repetitive clicking noise coming from around the power transformer in the top left side of the monitor board as you look down on it. All my research on the various forums indicates a number of potential reasons.

(a) Needs replacement CAP kit
(b) Bad solder on board and its shorting out somewhere
(c) Flyback needs replacing.

Has anyone got any thoughts on a cause. Or even better, if they know of somewhere that can fix this in Ireland or UK (and I can mail the board off to). I have an email in with Eurocoin in the UK, waiting to see if they need the entire monitor to fix it which clearly would not be practical.

Thanks in advance.
grantspain
Tech Head

Re: Hantarex Polo/2 28 Star problem

Post by grantspain »

it could be a number of things causing this,most likely its the horizontal output transistor but also there are a number of electrolitic caps in the power supply section that will also cause this.
doodles
Please Continue...

Post by doodles »

Thanks .. I have read that the HOT blowing can commonly be caused by a bad Flyback ? Is it worth just replacing the HOT (and risk it blowing again) or simply do a HOT and Flyback replacement at the same time ?
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

doodles wrote:Thanks .. I have read that the HOT blowing can commonly be caused by a bad Flyback ? Is it worth just replacing the HOT (and risk it blowing again) or simply do a HOT and Flyback replacement at the same time ?
well the flybacks are around £30 and the hot will be around £5,change the hot and a load of the psu caps first
Devil Soundwave
Doesn't go to eleven
eBay: DevilSoundwave

Post by Devil Soundwave »

Also, so you know, when I had a repair in at Eurocoin, they preferred that I brought the entire monitor, tube and all.