Aero City (Sanwa PM1736) screeching and messed up image

For monitor related issues
Matthijs
Please Continue...
Aero City (Sanwa PM1736) screeching and messed up image

Post by Matthijs »

Hi everyone,

When I fired up my Aero City today for the first time in awhile, the image was all scrambled and the monitor made a horrible screetching sound.

I'm a total monitor novice and haven't had the chance to get the cab open yet to see if something obvious was wrong (i.e. a blown cap or something). Anyone know what could be the issue and how fixable it is?

I made a quick clip of it running Puzzle Bobble 4: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/YiOQckyFktU

As always, really appreciate all your insights! Many thanks!
Last edited by Matthijs on September 10th, 2022, 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thegreathopper
Geese's Bodyguard
eBay: thegreathopper
Initials: STV

Re: Aero City (Nanao MS8?) screeching and messed up image

Post by thegreathopper »

The great thing about an Aero is the monitor is in a frame and very easy to remove, You want to get that puppy out and have a good look at the chassis.

Before removing make sure you disconnect cables first, power and video cable.

No idea on that fault but after owning a couple of Aeros I know those MS8’s need maintaining and that the monitors take just a couple of minutes to remove.

Good luck don’t forget to turn off first, the High Voltage side is not an issue yet as removing the chassis from the whole monitor leaves the fat red wire in place.
Matthijs
Please Continue...

Post by Matthijs »

thegreathopper wrote: September 10th, 2022, 7:09 am The great thing about an Aero is the monitor is in a frame and very easy to remove, You want to get that puppy out and have a good look at the chassis.

Before removing make sure you disconnect cables first, power and video cable.

No idea on that fault but after owning a couple of Aeros I know those MS8’s need maintaining and that the monitors take just a couple of minutes to remove.

Good luck don’t forget to turn off first, the High Voltage side is not an issue yet as removing the chassis from the whole monitor leaves the fat red wire in place.
Thanks! Yeah, luckily the Aero City is easy to disassemble. I took the monitor out and found out it's actually not an MS8 but a Sanwa PM 1736. I still find it hard to analyze what's wrong (the larger pcb looks fine as far as I can tell), but one component on the neckboard looks like it's toasted. Anyone know what this is and if that could be the culprit?

IMG_3588.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Matthijs
Please Continue...

Post by Matthijs »

On second inspection, there seem to be 2 more of these things that sort of seem to look the same, so I'm actually not sure if they are toasted (though i suppose they may all 3 be?). Are the voltage regulators or something else?
thegreathopper
Geese's Bodyguard

Post by thegreathopper »

Hard to see, does it have 3 legs? If so it’s a transistor.
Matthijs
Please Continue...

Post by Matthijs »

thegreathopper wrote: September 10th, 2022, 12:14 pm Hard to see, does it have 3 legs? If so it’s a transistor.
It does have 3 legs. Does that look broken to you? (apologies for the dumb questions)
thegreathopper
Geese's Bodyguard

Post by thegreathopper »

If it is a transistor it looks damaged, but it could be a potentiometer.

Does it look like an adjustable screw in the middle or like something has gone pop.

It’s hard to see in the pic and I have never owned a Sanwa monitor.
thegreathopper
Geese's Bodyguard

Post by thegreathopper »

Try and find a schematic for this monitor and if in the UK see if one of the experts will fix.
PrincessPrinPrin
eBay: *mkl*
Initials: MKL

Post by PrincessPrinPrin »

It's totally fine visually. They look like that. You can't fix this. Don't even try to work on it. Send it to someone who can.
Matthijs
Please Continue...

Post by Matthijs »

PrincessPrinPrin wrote: September 10th, 2022, 1:01 pm It's totally fine visually. They look like that. You can't fix this. Don't even try to work on it. Send it to someone who can.
I was afraid of that. Is that the general consensus? That is, CRTs being too difficult to do DIY maintenance on if you're not an expert? How many folks are still around to do work on these?
yosai
Windy City
eBay: yosai

Post by yosai »

Matthijs wrote: September 10th, 2022, 1:45 pm How many folks are still around to do work on these?
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=385
PrincessPrinPrin
eBay: *mkl*
Initials: MKL

Re: Aero City (Sanwa PM1736) screeching and messed up image

Post by PrincessPrinPrin »

There is also Tecknoservice in Spain.