Trouble with MS9 remote board.

For monitor related issues
kazuo

Trouble with MS9 remote board.

Post by kazuo »

I got a used MS9 remote board and when I tested it on a known working setup, I'd get weird behavior like flickering color(s), brightness/contrast firing up/down randomly, and something vaguely resembling vertical collapse (?!). I reflowed all of the joints and this didn't seem to help at all, most of the pots looked to be completely rusted out although some seemed to work, so I replaced them with new parts from Digikey, same behavior. Tapping the board, particularly around the area of the harness connector seems to help, but I also reflowed that from the beginning so I have no idea why that seems to change things. I checked continuity for all the resistors going to the pots on both sides and seems like it is good, no obvious broken traces or signs of corrosion or anything like that.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!
nem
Needs a custom rank

Re: Trouble with MS9 remote board.

Post by nem »

Oxidized pins on the connector?

There's a guy on Neo-Arcadia that does repros of remote boards if you just want one that will work 100%.

EDIT: https://www.neo-arcadia.com/forum/viewt ... =9&t=75910 , 50 euros
kazuo

Post by kazuo »

I've already buzzed out all the pins and there is continuity, I also gave them a deoxit bath and lightly hit it with a metal brush. Didn't seem to help. :( I guess I could try swapping connectors with a working one? :awe:

I'll look into the repro but I'd love to fix this one. Seems a shame to just let it go to waste.

Thanks!
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

If you swapped the pots and checked the connector, then it has to be one or more of the surface mounted components on the back. Throw flux on it and resolder everything? (unless you already did that)
Ddshot
eBay: Camp-dea

Post by Ddshot »

Have you checked the ribbon cable,I had a similar issue it was the cable
kazuo

Post by kazuo »

I don't think it's cable, since I have another remote board that works perfectly fine on the same setup. I do have a spare that I can swap in, but an update before I do.

I reflowed EVERYTHING, and nothing changed. So I swapped the harness connector from the working remote to the funky remote, and now it's pretty much stable. The only issue seems to be if I tap on the V. Position pot (which is brand new), the picture gets shaky and unstable until I stop. :( Any ideas?

I did not try the "bad" connector on the "good" remote, but I'm going to try that next to see if the "good" remote starts having the same symptoms.
kazuo

Post by kazuo »

I installed the "bad" harness connector into the "good" remote, and it is now exhibiting the same problems the "bad" one was. So I guess that pretty much confirms the connector is the (main) issue. :awe: I am still getting the weird behavior where if I tap the V. Posi pot, the picture gets shaky; it also seems to happen if I touch the V. Posi joint/pin on the solder side of the connector. :awe: :awe: :awe:

Next point of action is to order new connectors from Mouser, because why not. It's stable enough for me in this state that I guess I won't lose sleep over it, but if anyone knows what's up with the V. Posi situation, do let me know. The pots are brand new and the joints are solid and shiny. I have continuity everywhere.