Is Toshiba 1843 better than 9929?

For monitor related issues
chriszhxi
eBay: chriszhxi

Is Toshiba 1843 better than 9929?

Post by chriszhxi »

Recently I did a full recap (majority with united chemi-con, a couple of Nichicion or Panasonic, best you can get for caps) on 9929 in order to fix some picture issues, after that picture is all good.

I also have another 1843 chassis which I accidentally broke its neckboard nearly into half, I fixed it, but no recap.

I found that 1843 has more color brightness. 1843 literally uses less rgb gains (around 70, where 9929 all max out) to achieve same color brightness, which means it can get more vivid and brighter colors.

I did adjust brightness on flyback on both 9929 and 1843, but that only affects overall brightness not color brightness.

So I'm wondering it's only my chassis or it's common that 1843 is better than 9929?
largekro
eBay: dash-ti
Initials: LGK

Re: Is Toshiba 1843 better than 9929?

Post by largekro »

Never could compare 1843 with the 9929, but with 2367 anyway, it seems real close when it comes to color, vibrant and brightness.
Similar except than my 1843 shows a global convergence/focus issue on all sides and corners. The more you leave the center the more blurry it gets… Both chassis fitting Toshiba tubes. Swapping chassis on both tubes showed same results : 2367 is still cristal clear and precise, and my 1843 still shows blurry borders…
I tried to rotate a bit what I understood should be the focus pot on the flyback, the one in the middle that is not glued, and also the focus pot of the neck-board, but they seemed to do nothing at all with both brightness or focus…
When you said you increased brightness on the flyback, do you mean the HV pot on the board near by the flyback ??
chriszhxi
eBay: chriszhxi

Post by chriszhxi »

largekro wrote: August 5th, 2022, 6:07 pm Never could compare 1843 with the 9929, but with 2367 anyway, it seems real close when it comes to color, vibrant and brightness.
Similar except than my 1843 shows a global convergence/focus issue on all sides and corners. The more you leave the center the more blurry it gets… Both chassis fitting Toshiba tubes. Swapping chassis on both tubes showed same results : 2367 is still cristal clear and precise, and my 1843 still shows blurry borders…
I tried to rotate a bit what I understood should be the focus pot on the flyback, the one in the middle that is not glued, and also the focus pot of the neck-board, but they seemed to do nothing at all with both brightness or focus…
When you said you increased brightness on the flyback, do you mean the HV pot on the board near by the flyback ??
The brightness and focus is glued on flyback, you have to remove or loosen the glue to adjust them.

The middle one has no use, it's for dual focus tube.
largekro
eBay: dash-ti
Initials: LGK

Post by largekro »

Much appreciated, thanks a lot !!
By the way also found the answer in an old thead.