NEO GEO 29” Candy with Hitachi Monitor (Flyback needed)

For monitor related issues
Samelak
eBay: Samelak

NEO GEO 29” Candy with Hitachi Monitor (Flyback needed)

Post by Samelak »

I just recapped my monitor and it was having trouble coming on. After rechecking my work, I isolated it to the flyback. I resoldered the connections and did continuity checks from the flyback solder points to the next component. No breaks or opens. With a HV meter on the anode, I am not getting HV. After tapping on the flyback with a piece of wood, I get high voltage and a picture. Looks like something physically is loose in my flyback. I was able to duplicate this problem several times.

I see there is someone in Europe selling a non-stock replacement, but don’t know the quality or compatibility. Does anyone have an opinion on these or got a source for new flybacks?
Samelak
eBay: Samelak

Re: NEO GEO 29” Candy with Hitachi Monitor (Flyback needed)

Post by Samelak »

I got the new flyback (off ebay) in and it still didn’t solve the problem. After further investigation, I found two large diodes with cold solder joints. I did reflow the board when I capped it, but somehow missed these. After reflowing, the monitor fired up. Unfortunately the new flyback had mixed results. Although the flyback did work, the picture was very difficult to adjust. Plus the brightness knob had no effect. After warming up, I was getting lines because the picture is too bright. I reinstalled the original flyback and now everything is good. I’ll just hang onto the replacement…as a replacement. I will say the pins mounted up fine, but had to clip off some plastic at the bottom to get it to sit flush.
mukurop
eBay: mukuro_w

Re: NEO GEO 29” Candy with Hitachi Monitor (Flyback needed)

Post by mukurop »

And may I know wich diiodes? The ones near the flyback?