Rolling picture on MS8-25 & Tatsunoko vs Capcom?

For monitor related issues
kazuo

Rolling picture on MS8-25 & Tatsunoko vs Capcom?

Post by kazuo »

I'm getting a unstable/rolling picture on a cab with a MS8-25 when trying to play Tatsunoko vs Capcom. I set DIP 1 on the board to ON, which enables 15KHz video output, and I set the Capcom I/O (which I am using to convert to/from JVS) to CSYNC video. If I mess the V HOLD on the monitor, I can ALMOST get the image to stop rolling, but it'll keep rolling just a tiny bit and is never ever completely stable. The game is basically unplayable in this state. :( 31KHz video seems to work perfectly fine when tested on an external display, but the MS8-25 does not support 31KHz so this does not help me.

Anyone got any ideas? Do I just need to play this somewhere else? :lolno:
Thanks!
nem
Needs a custom rank

Re: Rolling picture on MS8-25 & Tatsunoko vs Capcom?

Post by nem »

It's not set to widescreen is it? It shouldn't affect vertical sync, but what do I know.

Hold SEL when you boot it up. Remember to save settings if you make changes.
kazuo

Post by kazuo »

Thanks, Nem! 99% sure it was set to 4:3, I didn't notice any letterboxing. When I get some more time to play with it tomorrow I will double-check this and see if it makes a difference (guessing it's in the TEST menu?).

I may be able to test on a friend's MS9 this weekend, so if I get the chance I will also try it as-is on that and see if we have the same issue.
Will report back!
kazuo

Post by kazuo »

Finally got around to trying this again... test menu is indeed set to 4:3, and the picture rolls vertically no matter how much I adjust V HOLD. Tried widescreen for funsies, no change. Still haven't had a chance to try other 15KHz displays.

Works perfectly fine in 31KHz though! Just not on this monitor/cabinet. :(
Kretinou
eBay: Perklorik
Initials: JIC

Post by Kretinou »

- Try an other VGA cable
- Did you try to put switch 1 to the left (capcom converter) ?
closeup.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kazuo

Post by kazuo »

Will try another VGA cable and report back.

When I had it flipped to the left (which I believe is H/V), I got a completely distorted and collapsed picture. I switched it to the right (which I think is CSYNC), which got me where I am today... I can try a different cable and flipping the switch again. Will also report back.

Thanks for the tips!
kazuo

Post by kazuo »

OK, just tried this again with a new cable, got the same result. When I went to verify the switch position, it was set to the left, which I believe is H/V according to this webpage. So now I'm confused, 'cause I swore this was set to CSYNC (switch to the right) previously. So I flipped the switch to the right (CYSNC), and... with some adjustment to VHOLD, I have a stable picture. Go figure. :awe:

Lesson learned.

Thanks for the help, everyone!
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

Nice!