Model 3 Medium Res Monitors

For monitor related issues
outrun2
eBay: thefonzzz
Initials: GAZ

Model 3 Medium Res Monitors

Post by outrun2 »

Anyone with Model 2/3 stuff that has experience with the differences between an MS9 with a Hitachi tube and a Toshiba tube?

I have different tubes in each side of my Daytona 2 and now that both sides are nearly fully restored and fully working I'm comparing the output from both and noticing a marked difference. The Toshiba tube has always given a stronger, more punchy image than the Hitachi, but I've recently noticed a definite 'graininess' to the Hitachi tube which just isn't noticeable on the Tosh. I'd like to get a more punchy image out of the Hitachi tube if possible, but as contrast and brightness adjustments haven't helped that might mean delving into tweaks I've not attempted before, so I'll leave that for now!

Although I have numerous 31K monitors, I only have these two 24K screens so I'm wondering if this is common to the Hitachi tube or if mine is somehow degrading. As usual with CRTs it's hard to capture on an average spec smartphone, but here goes:

Hitachi on the left/first, Toshiba on the right/second
Image Image

Hitachi on the left/first, Toshiba on the right/second
Image Image

I haven't taken full screen photos as it doesn't really show up on the photo, but is quite clear when viewed in the flesh. And really obvious when you play one cab and then the other. You can also see the issue when the screens are off so this is why I'm assuming it's a tube thing - you can see the honeycomb pattern clearly on the Hitachi.

Anyone have anything to suggest, or is this just a Friday night waffle about first world issues? :palm:
Wanted:
Sega Model 3 Emergency Call Ambulance ROM board or complete Step 2 boardset.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Re: Model 3 Medium Res Monitors

Post by cools »

Looks like the Hitachi tube has a lower TVL than the Toshiba?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_lines
outrun2
eBay: thefonzzz
Initials: GAZ

Re: Model 3 Medium Res Monitors

Post by outrun2 »

Interesting, could well be that as I'm sure I can notice the difference with the screens powered off.

I might have to try to get the focus and geometry as good as possible and see if that helps, although that will be tricky as I have to access the rear of the cab from outside the garage and can't see the screen even with a mirror as visibility is, errrm.. slightly restricted.. it's the cab on the right :lol:

This image makes it look a lot worse than it is but but does magnify the issue - especially on one colour areas the black lines stand out and make area grainy.

Test pattern..

I'd like to see another MS9 coupled to a Hitachi tube to compare and see if it is 'normal'.
Wanted:
Sega Model 3 Emergency Call Ambulance ROM board or complete Step 2 boardset.