MS8-29FSG Red Flicker

For monitor related issues
JAMMArob
Please Continue...

MS8-29FSG Red Flicker

Post by JAMMArob »

Hey all,

I recently started seeing an intermittent issue with geometry (see below). Additionally, the red signal flickers a bit. The capacitors have been replaced (except for the large filter cap) and the picture looks great when it's not squished! Any tips or suggestions as to where I should troubleshoot? I replaced the remote board to see if that helped with these issues and no change.

Red flicker (hard to tell, but it's noticeable in person)
https://youtu.be/77cXcfNkru0
Last edited by JAMMArob on June 3rd, 2021, 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JAMMArob
Please Continue...

Re: MS8-29FSG Funky Geometry, Red Flicker

Post by JAMMArob »

Looks like the geometry issues are "resolved" once the monitor warms up... the red still flickers though!
JAMMArob
Please Continue...

Post by JAMMArob »

Replaced the potentiometer on the chassis associated with red, since it was really loose. No change! Colors look great but the red still flickers.
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

Could be a connector issue. Wiggle the wiring on the jamma edge connector, then do the same for the 15-pin AMP UP connector that connects to the monitor, then check the 5-pin video input connector on the side of the chassis, and finally the wiring for the remote.

If it's not that, then likely something in the red drive circuit on the neck board (zener diodes, drive transistors, solder joints on the neck connector). Solder joints are easy to spot, for everything else, swap parts between circuits to find your faulty component. If I remember correctly, 30X is red, 31X is green, and 32X is blue.
JAMMArob
Please Continue...

Post by JAMMArob »

So.. I actually replaced the neck board with a known good board I had on a parts chassis, and the issue persists. It doesn't appear to be a cable issue. Any other components I should check on the chassis itself?