SNK U4 - Screen crackles and dies REDUX!!!!

For monitor related issues
nem
Needs a custom rank

Re: SNK U4 - Screen crackles and dies (help!!)

Post by nem »

That's understandable. But everything is fixable.

The monitor could have developed a cracked solder joint in transit, so that's something you'll possibly have to send off.

Motherboard, could be down to just the cart making poor contact.

As for controls, maybe the control panel was replaced and the connectors were just connected from memory?

Sven should have tested the cab with a cart though. Poor form if he didn't. The caps on the motherboard could be shot.
ChrisBEANS
moneyspendingexpert.com
eBay: chrismartinlewis
Initials: BNS

Post by ChrisBEANS »

To be fair, I’ve not mentioned the seller by name, as I’ve no reason at all to believe I was deliberately sold a duff cab in bad faith.

I have to say though, the state it’s in I have to believe it wasn’t wasn’t properly checked and tested.
phillv85
Please Continue...
Initials: PAV

Post by phillv85 »

Don't worry about the 4 slot being faulty, multi slot boards are crap, I can have 5 carts in my 6 slot working fine, gently place in a 6th a develop an issue with two of the others. That'll just be a case of reseating the cart until the issue goes away.
g60hot
Please Continue...
eBay: recycle-squad

Post by g60hot »

it's a shame you're having problems with your cab dude, but don't give up with it, those cabs are getting thin on the ground and I know how much you wanted one.

If I was you I'd get the chassis sent off to Grant for a service and take it from there, everything can be sorted.

Or just buy one of my fully restored ones when they are finally done...however that may be some time :roll:
SuperPang
Master or universe
eBay: *_*
Initials: JOE

Post by SuperPang »

Yes, even with a good condition 4 slot, it can take several attempts to get the cart seated just right to avoid missing audio or garbled graphics. Once it's in right, it should be fine. They're a strange beast.

The joystick is most probably a misplaced wire. They just pull out.

Both of the above should be easily solved so forget about them for now. Getting the monitor to stay on is the only thing worth fretting over. It'll be worth re-seating the neck board and if that doesn't work, you'll need to remove the chassis and send it to Grant. There are plenty of people here who can talk you through that.

Keep the faith.
Wurstkopp
Mister Dick Statue
eBay: nachmittagsprogramm
Initials: NIK

Post by Wurstkopp »

Wanted to mention that the monitor is not the original one, it should be a Toei but seems to be a Nanao MS8-25. No problem at all, both are top notch screens. :geek:
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

FWIW I've had issues with stuff I know I've thoroughly tested before shipping, and the buyer reporting it back to me, sending it back, and lo and behold the issue they've reported (that I tested for) is legit. The only explanation is the shipping, as by cleaning/resoldering something has fixed it.

I'm wondering whether your stepdown is grounded properly?
ChrisBEANS
moneyspendingexpert.com

Post by ChrisBEANS »

Cheers guys, I do appreciate all the help and advice.

Like I say, I could live with issues, I expected them frankly, and this is my grail cab, but the screen is the major concern.

It’s really not a case of ‘giving up’ exactly. I’m not being sulky about it, but I’m concerned that while I’m trying to sort one thing out, I’m neglecting more important things.

I don’t want to tinker about with anything else for fear that the next time the screen dies it won’t come back on!!

@g60hot , how would you feel about a part exchange for a refurb??? At least after this thread you’d know exactly what you’re getting :lol:
ChrisBEANS
moneyspendingexpert.com

Post by ChrisBEANS »

cools wrote: April 6th, 2021, 5:55 pm FWIW I've had issues with stuff I know I've thoroughly tested before shipping, and the buyer reporting it back to me, sending it back, and lo and behold the issue they've reported (that I tested for) is legit. The only explanation is the shipping, as by cleaning/resoldering something has fixed it.

I can take pics of the step down if you think it’s worth doing??
thegreathopper
Geese's Bodyguard
eBay: thegreathopper
Initials: STV

Post by thegreathopper »

If you are selling I am buying, love that cab and love fixing things :D
thegreathopper
Geese's Bodyguard
eBay: thegreathopper
Initials: STV

Post by thegreathopper »

ChrisBEANS wrote: April 6th, 2021, 6:05 pm
cools wrote: April 6th, 2021, 5:55 pm FWIW I've had issues with stuff I know I've thoroughly tested before shipping, and the buyer reporting it back to me, sending it back, and lo and behold the issue they've reported (that I tested for) is legit. The only explanation is the shipping, as by cleaning/resoldering something has fixed it.

Sven is a good guy, a few things have got banged about in transit and easily repairable.. but if you have an old cab you need some basic electrical knowledge an a multi meter, the button thing will be a simple fix.
PrincessPrinPrin
eBay: *mkl*
Initials: MKL

Post by PrincessPrinPrin »

Wurstkopp wrote: April 6th, 2021, 5:53 pmseems to be a Nanao MS8-25.
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

PrincessPrinPrin wrote: April 6th, 2021, 6:14 pm
Wurstkopp wrote: April 6th, 2021, 5:53 pmseems to be a Nanao MS8-25.
It's a 25" cab though? What function does SW331 have on the neck board?
ChrisBEANS
moneyspendingexpert.com

Post by ChrisBEANS »

Yeah, I would like to say that despite the issues here, I really don’t have any reason to think I’ve deliberately been sold a lemon, and Sven’s comms have been great.

It is a real shame and a bit of a concern that there’s so much up with it though. I paid what I reckon is a fair price for a working cab that needs a bit of cosmetic love.

This really isn’t a moan about Sven at all, just hoping to get it all sorted one way or another...
geldra

Post by geldra »

If you don’t touch the stick/try to play MS2, does the monitor stay on indefinitely?
Astro City is only a letter away from atrocity. Makes you think doesn’t it?
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

nem wrote: April 6th, 2021, 6:21 pm
PrincessPrinPrin wrote: April 6th, 2021, 6:14 pm 26.
It's a 25" cab though? What function does SW331 have on the neck board?
I have quite a few 25s and 26s. The ferrite core for horizontal width points to a 26, but I've never seen this on a 26 before:

ms8-2x.jpg

Also, the neck board is different too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by nem on April 6th, 2021, 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sven666
eBay: sven-666
Initials: JNX

Post by sven666 »

I sold the cab yes so theres no what iffs about that.

It was working perfectly at my place but has been in transit for over a month so chassi ground coming loose is nothing weird.
It seems something else is also causing a short tho so please go over all connections inside the cab.

About up being down that could be my mistake, the very last thing i did before selling was fitting a new panel and it could very well be i put the connectors wrong on the stick, just move them, i think i just checked them quickly in the testmode so thats enterly my bad.
ChrisBEANS
moneyspendingexpert.com

Post by ChrisBEANS »

So, I've had a look and everything seems to be plugged in firmly, no apparent loose wires, and everything I've looked at seems well insulated.

There is this, that looks like it should be connected?? It's attached to the third 'button' on the service switch bit. That's not actually a 'button' like the other two though, looks like it's either a plain old LED or the button's stuck pushed in?

Regardless, do I need to connect these wires?

Also, it's been asked whether just leaving the cab on shorts or kills the monitor and no, it doesn't appear to. Only when the CP is used, BUT, just randomly. You can use the CP for anything up to 30 seconds before it goes off. However, if you touch nothing it stays on apparently indefinitely (although I've not left it for more than a few minutes).

Edit: I also reseated MS2 a couple of times, and tried it in slot 2. Same weird sound issues persist. Again, happy to take videos of anything if people think it will help diagnose and that switching it on won't cause damage...
phillv85
Please Continue...
Initials: PAV

Post by phillv85 »

Try taking all of the wiring out of your CP then see if it does it. Be careful you don’t get a shock from it though. The wiring should be easy enough to put back, but take some photos first for ease.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

ChrisBEANS wrote: April 6th, 2021, 6:05 pm

Nah, unless you have a multimeter to check it?

I'm just suspicious whether you're grounding the cab when touching something...