Brightness problem MS-2930

For monitor related issues
nem
Needs a custom rank

Re: Brightness problem MS-2930

Post by nem »

LarsVegas wrote: April 28th, 2021, 8:44 am If the capacity is the same, but the voltage higher no problem, am I right?
Correct.

LarsVegas wrote: April 28th, 2021, 8:44 am Are there some specific ones for geometry or should I replace all?
Personally I would just swap them all. Just make sure you put in what you took out. Cap kits can include wrong caps, don't trust them blindly.
LarsVegas
eBay: Larschance
Initials: LSV

Post by LarsVegas »

Ok, good to have a desoldering iron. For shure, i'll take care of putting in the right ones. Have done a couple repairs on pinball machines, so I'm confident. Hopefully this cab will stay to his name and blast me away afterwards with a great picture.
LarsVegas

Post by LarsVegas »

Changed all the caps from the cap kit. Except the orange one and those 2 or 3 big ones. Fired up the screen and got a new picture. The Geometrie was completely different. See the picture below. Tried to tweak pincushion and para but the pots do nothing. When I tweak pincushion the picture is flickering and snaps back to the old position. Para is doing nothing. The other ones like trapez are doing their job. What should I check next?
LarsVegas

Post by LarsVegas »

Here the picture
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

try adjusting the h.s lim pot and are you adjusting the correct spc pot
LarsVegas

Post by LarsVegas »

I have made the picture smaller to see better the result. The picture will fit the whole screen, when adjusting the pots on the remote. HSL is doing nothing as well. Yes, I have done both spc pots and both do nothing.
Last edited by LarsVegas on April 30th, 2021, 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LarsVegas

Post by LarsVegas »

Checking for cold solder joints right now.
LarsVegas

Post by LarsVegas »

Haven't found something yet. All soldering seems good, got continuity, but I will check every again. Found two legs of U451 are together with solder. Is this normal? Maybe some solder dropped off.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

remove that solder from the legs, that has obviously fallen from when you did the caps
LarsVegas

Post by LarsVegas »

Is this ok, or must this go in deeper? Haven't seen how deep it was in, when discharging. It popped off right away.
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

grip the cup and pull the red cable and it pop back in
LarsVegas

Post by LarsVegas »

So the metal clamp has to go all the way in? The first part is already in, like me in the attached picture and the rest looks like it won't fit, I have to do it with force
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

No, it should go in as far as the 'solder lock'. So that part should not be visible.
LarsVegas

Post by LarsVegas »

It does not fit, even if I press those together as close as they get. Even if I push it a little bit further, the rubber cab lifts up.
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

why have you pulled the cable further the opposite way, its simple enought to do- you just grip the cup with one hand and then pull the flyback side of the cable and manoeuvre the clip into place
LarsVegas

Post by LarsVegas »

Yes, I did. Didn't move anything further. Pressed those clip together put it in and now it holds tight. I'm just unsure if it was all the way inside, or like in the picture above. Just lifted the cup to show you how deep it's in.
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

that clip is in far enough, as long as its home and solid then its fine
LarsVegas

Post by LarsVegas »

Thanks, that's all I wanted to know. Removed the solder and it is working again. Tweaked the geometry and it is amazing. Will set the colors later and try convergence strips. Awesome thanks very much guys.
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

yeah looks great
LarsVegas

Post by LarsVegas »

So, tweaked the geometry and the colors. Everything looks good. All colors are back and nothing is faded anymore. All corners were off, cause of convergence. Used strips to solve the problem. On the left side I got good results, the right was impossible to fix, even with more than one and on the top i couldn't get deep enough with the strips. But overall I'm very happy with the result. Thanks alot grantspain and nem for your help. Job done and I will enjoy this awesome new screen.