Brightness problem MS-2930

For monitor related issues
LarsVegas
eBay: Larschance
Initials: LSV

Brightness problem MS-2930

Post by LarsVegas »

I have a brightness issue with my MS-2930 monitor. Tweaked the rgb, brightness and contrast pods already, but the picture is to dark in the blacks and to bright overall and in the white areas in the same time. Feels like, when warmed up, it's getting better, but still far from good. Does a cap kit help or is something else causing this problem?

Greets Lars
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
nem
Needs a custom rank

Re: Brightness problem MS-2930

Post by nem »

Adjust SCREEN pot on the back of the flyback.
Sbdesign
eBay: hardtofindmerchandise
Initials: JTL

Post by Sbdesign »

yea screen pot should sort it, on the flyback with the focus pot.

It could still do with a service, but try the suggestion first.
Get it warmed up where its at its best, and adjust the brightness, contrast to the middle value.
Adjust the screen pot to the desired brightness, and fiddle again with the other pots.
LarsVegas

Post by LarsVegas »

Ok, thanks guys. I will try it. When I tweaked the cut-offs and brightness, it looked ok. So I didn't touch the screen pot. There is a topic in the wiki and I will follow this. Will post the result.
LarsVegas

Post by LarsVegas »

I try to get into this crt stuff, cause you f keeping those alive as long as possible. So I came around one other thing. Tried those convergence strips and on one side the deflection coil had more space to put those strips in. The convergence on this side was more off. Can you move the coil to improve convergence too? Didn't found something about this.
Ioncannon
Please Continue...
eBay: dios526

Post by Ioncannon »

I assume moving the yoke? Moving the yoke will change your purity (back/forward) and rotate the screen itself. The convergence rings on the back of the yoke can be adjusted for convergence with strips.

Moving yoke is for fixing issues like this:
LarsVegas

Post by LarsVegas »

Ok. But it does not fix Corner conversion, just discoloration?
zumbito
eBay: jaime5171

Post by zumbito »

Any updates on this? I'm interested too.
LarsVegas

Post by LarsVegas »

I will adjust the screen pot on Sunday. I won't make it before.
LarsVegas

Post by LarsVegas »

So, tweaked the screen pot, brightness, cutoffs and gains. The screen pot was nearly good. It is looking much better, but not like my 2931. But I can live with it for now. It's depending on the PCB as well. Mushihimesama looked pretty good, cps-2 not so, it's much brighter. Last solution cap-kit?
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

only a couple of caps would affect brightness, the 10uf 250v on the neck card would be a culprit- watch out for those cap kits and certainly do not replace the large orange 4.7uf as it will be most likely the wrong type in the kit

another possibility could be that the chassis has been replaced on this in the past and the resistor for the heater current is wrong value
LarsVegas

Post by LarsVegas »

Ok thanks Grant, I will check this cap out. When I have all the tools for discharge, I will give it a shot. The geometry on this monitor is crap to i realized yesterday, even with tweaking the pots with pincushion, etc. Pots. Convergence seems to get sorted out by strips, but the tube needs a good clean in the yoke area first. Guess it's getting a project for this summer.
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

LarsVegas wrote: April 11th, 2021, 10:10 pmLast solution cap-kit?
Your last solution is to rejuvenate the tube. I did it with a Blast tube and got good results out of it.
LarsVegas

Post by LarsVegas »

With rejuvenate, you mean a new tube?
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

No, you use a rejuvenator on your old tube.

https://blog.timowens.io/crt-rejuvination/

May or may not give lasting results.
LarsVegas

Post by LarsVegas »

Ok, I get it. Looked for one on the internet, but they are hard to come by and I don't think, that the screen is to dim overall. I can boost the colors and brightness, but the overall level is not right. It's more like a contrast thing, where the whites and darks drift away. So you have too bright or too dark.
ItsBobDudes
eBay: robpatt-7137
Initials: BOB

Post by ItsBobDudes »

grantspain wrote: April 12th, 2021, 8:26 am only a couple of caps would affect brightness, the 10uf 250v on the neck card would be a culprit- watch out for those cap kits and certainly do not replace the large orange 4.7uf as it will be most likely the wrong type in the kit

another possibility could be that the chassis has been replaced on this in the past and the resistor for the heater current is wrong value
Could you explain the differences between the large orange 4.7µf cap and ones that come in cap kits? What will the result be if this orange cap is replaced with the incorrect type?
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

pretty sure they are high frequency caps, if you use a standard cap you may get a problem- on the weiya if you use a standard to replace a similar one it will blow after a few mins
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

It will work with a standard cap and, personally, I haven't noticed any issues. I swapped mine years ago and it's been running fine ever since.

This said, I'm sure there's a reason for the original cap being low impedance. If I were to replace one now, I would look for a proper replacement.
LarsVegas

Post by LarsVegas »

So Cap Kit ist here. Think I will make it the next week's. As you said grant, some Caps have the wrong value. If the capacity is the same, but the voltage higher no problem, am I right? And that's a lot of caps. Are there some specific ones for geometry or should I replace all? The one on the neckboard will be definitely replaced.