2932 replacing yoke and convergence

For monitor related issues
zumbito
eBay: jaime5171

2932 replacing yoke and convergence

Post by zumbito »

So I had to throw away the yoke for the 2932 in my Naomi, for some reason the image kept flickering like half synch issue hald vertical colapse. I have installed a new yoke (from a 2931), but now I can't seem to get the image right, first of all I cant get a pure red, blue or green image to check the color purity (which is bad) and second when I use a grid pattern for convergence, I can't seem to get the color beams aligned all over the screen, each time I fix one part of the screen the rest disadjusts completely. Any advice?
grantspain
Tech Head

Re: 2932 replacing yoke and convergence

Post by grantspain »

do you have some photos of grid test pattern
zumbito

Post by zumbito »

I thought I had. Will get one ASAP and post it here. Thanks Grant!
radiantsvgun
Please Continue...
eBay: Radiantsvgun
Initials: RIC

Post by radiantsvgun »

Doesn't the 2932 have a more curved tube than the 2931?
zumbito

Post by zumbito »

grantspain wrote: March 11th, 2021, 5:59 am do you have some photos of grid test pattern
Here you have them,

grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

yoke is not positioned correctly, you would need to remove the rubber wedges and start from scratch- its a big time consuming job
zumbito

Post by zumbito »

That's actually true,
I didn't remove the previous wedges. How do you know it is not properly placed? Or how will I know when it is properly placed?
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

The grids don't line up. Your red grid is smaller than your green grid. They have to be the same size, otherwise you'll never get it to look good.
zumbito

Post by zumbito »

zumbito wrote: March 10th, 2021, 6:22 pm So I had to throw away the yoke for the 2932 in my Naomi, for some reason the image kept flickering like half synch issue hald vertical colapse. I have installed a new yoke (from a 2931), but now I can't seem to get the image right, first of all I cant get a pure red, blue or green image to check the color purity (which is bad) and second when I use a grid pattern for convergence, I can't seem to get the color beams aligned all over the screen, each time I fix one part of the screen the rest disadjusts completely. Any advice?
Ok, I thought that was convergence, back to step one
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

Well, it is convergence. However, it's not convergence that you can fix with the yoke rings.

Try to get the grids around the same size, then you can start trying to make the beams align.
Sbdesign
eBay: hardtofindmerchandise
Initials: JTL

Post by Sbdesign »

How do you go about that?
Do you have to keep turning on/off between adjustments, and start as far as possible o the tube, adjusting slightly towards the neck?
zumbito

Post by zumbito »

I did resit the yoke to where color purity seems ok, and the grid was somewhat decent, still have the same issue. Changed the convergence rings for the pens that were in the tube before, no luck.
It's like the red beam is smaller than the others, on the bottom of the screen it is above the green one, but on the top of the screen it is below. At the center it is fine or at least good enough I can live with it. Any ideas?

nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

The tube shapes are different. It's very possible it just doesn't work.
PrincessPrinPrin
eBay: *mkl*
Initials: MKL

Post by PrincessPrinPrin »

The Toshiba A68KZN and A68LBT used on the MS2930 and MS2931 have a 108° deflection angle as opposed to the 110° of the A68KJU used on the MS9-29 and MS2932. Maybe the neck-funnel section is shaped differently enough that the respective deflection yokes are shaped so as to account for this difference or maybe the OP doesn't have a good grasp of how dynamic convergence is adjusted so I'll leave this here:
dynamicconvergence.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
zumbito

Post by zumbito »

Ok, thats very helpful. According to that image I should tilt it sideways to make the red and blue grid a bit bigger. The problem is if I take the yoke away from the tube to allow some wiggle, the color goes full rainbow, to a extent it seemed too much for the purity rings. Will try to see if the purity rings make any difference.

Ok, tried that, but no luck, the grid didn't act nowhere close to that diagram. Seems I will need to source a proper 2932 yoke. If anyone has a spare one, please let me know.