Convergence question for the CRT techs......Sony KV36FS-210

For monitor related issues
Josh128
Please Continue...
eBay: neff128
Initials: JRO

Convergence question for the CRT techs......Sony KV36FS-210

Post by Josh128 »

Guys, I have this beautiful Trinitron that I would like to dial in a bit better. I opened it the other day and adjusted the HSTAT pot to get a bit better hori convergence and played with some strips a bit to see what I could do, but had to hold off due to not being able to see the screen as I was adjusting, even using a mirror. The set is so huge it was difficult to place a mirror properly to see what I was doing. I havent yet touched the rings or moved the yoke because the center static convergence it is already quite nice and I really dont want to go down that rabbit hole just yet. As you can see in the pictures, I have the issue that on a horizontal white line from left to right on the screen, I generally have the problem of the red being too high on the left side of the screen, near perfect vert convergence in the center, and blue being too high on the right side of the screen.

For those that are well versed in tuning these issues out, can you make any suggestion as to what needs to be done here? Its possible that tweaking the HSTAT pot the other day to get a more perfect center hori convergence caused this, but Im not sure as I didnt take before and after pics. Normally you wouldnt think the HSTAT adjustment would affect the Vstat convergence, but it might possibly due to the way it changes from left to right. It may have been set the way it was to achieve the best balance from left to right, but Im not sure. If not that, could it be the yoke tilt? The entire picture has a very slight upside down U shape to it, a frown if you will, with the center top and bottom slightly higher than the two top and bottom sides. It is slight, but it is there. Im thinking that "bow" and the way the blue and reds change from left to right may be related, and due to the yoke tilt.

Thoughts? Am I way off base in thinking yoke tilt would cause this?

Full bottom

Bottom Left

Bottom Right
geotrig
Potato!
eBay: ._.

Re: Convergence question for the CRT techs......Sony KV36FS-210

Post by geotrig »

its not yoke tilt as the hole picture would be off and in my opinion there is no mistaking it once you actually see yoke tilt, like kern below it good enough to me from those pics

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"
PrincessPrinPrin
eBay: *mkl*
Initials: MKL

Post by PrincessPrinPrin »

Josh128
Please Continue...

Post by Josh128 »

Thanks for the responses. I probably should just leave well enough alone I guess. I do have that manual already and its very good, but I can find anything specific on the issue Im seeing, was just wondering if someone would be able to recognize quickly what causes this and chime in on it.
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

Looks like a slightly off yoke to me.

Page 25 (V-PIN) of that manual seems to agree.
Josh128
Please Continue...

Post by Josh128 »

Hey right on Nem! I missed that part, but yep it confirms the hunch that I had as well. Vcenter seems to be ever so slightly off, also I have what is called X-cross. For the Vcenter, in addition to the yoke, it also specifies a Y magnet can be adjusted as well for my model. I'll have to look into that as Im not sure where that actually is and what it looks like. For the X-cross, it says yoke and also something called XCV core, I'll have to look into what that is too.

Now its just a matter of setting up some kind of mirror or monitor system so that I can see what Im doing when Im doing it. Im almost certain I can get it a bit better with just a slight lean forward or back on the yoke, but if that Y mag is an easier adjustment I'll explore that option first.