Amiga RGB Jail Bars

For monitor related issues
dj_johnnyg
Loves CAVE

Amiga RGB Jail Bars

Post by dj_johnnyg » April 18th, 2019, 9:40 pm

This seemed like the relevant place to put this, but mods feel free to move as required.

Picked up a cheap Gotek for my Amiga 600 and after playing a bit using the composite output decided to build an RGB cable using the schematic from:

http://www.ianstedman.co.uk/Amiga/amiga ... scart.html

I'm getting a picture, much nicer than the blurry composite one, and the TV (Pioneer PDP435-XDE - Yes a 15 year old telly, but the only one I have with SCART) is registering it as an RGB signal, but I get really annoying black vertical bars across the screen.

Any idea how I can get rid of them? I'm wondering if I need to change the resistor to a 220r instead of the 330r, and/or add the caps, but the website isn't particularly clear on what "poor quality video" actually is.
Snakes: They're like bits of rope, only angrier.

keropi
eBay: sainshov

Re: Amiga RGB Jail Bars

Post by keropi » April 19th, 2019, 12:23 am

I have been using amigas many many years with scart/rgb connections, they are not known for jailbars.
I am placing my bet it's your lcd tv that does that, did you try another one? It would worth to build the "Experimental cable design for some troublesome LCD TVs" one instead.

dRwH0
eBay: NoFeedback
Initials: DRW

Post by dRwH0 » April 19th, 2019, 5:05 pm

keropi wrote:
April 19th, 2019, 12:23 am
I have been using amigas many many years with scart/rgb connections, they are not known for jailbars.
I am placing my bet it's your lcd tv that does that, did you try another one? It would worth to build the "Experimental cable design for some troublesome LCD TVs" one instead.
Aye!! I concur :) Amiga(s) are not known for their jail bars, so most likely your LCD screen is responsible for those!

P.S : Hello keropi :)

dj_johnnyg
Loves CAVE

Post by dj_johnnyg » April 19th, 2019, 10:57 pm

It's an old plasma, UK spec so has SCART, but the only TV I have that will do RGB.
All other consoles are fine via RGB on this TV, just the Amiga.

I might try running it through a SCART > Component adapter on another monitor, before I succumb and crack the soldering gear out again...

Thanks

While I'm here, and you guys may know.
I bought a Gotek and installed Flash Floppy on it, and it's working well, except a lot of games won't run. I burnt a kickstart 1.3 Rom (had to use a 27c800 I had lying around, copied Kick twice to the lower register and tied pin 1 to ground) which loads on the A600 (I get the inset disk screen) but then the gotek refuses to boot, even to the selector, it's like it doesn't exist.
Any ideas?
Snakes: They're like bits of rope, only angrier.