Nanao 2931 / Blast City Monitor issue

For monitor related issues
wontwa
Please Continue...
eBay: wontwa_inc
Initials: DJB

Nanao 2931 / Blast City Monitor issue

Post by wontwa »

I have a Nanao MS-2931 monitor chassis in a Blast City cabinet using a Toshiba A68KZN696X tube. This worked fine for a few years aside from one failure that required a repair. I recently presumed the chassis was dead when the monitor wouldn’t turn on (game plays blind). Had the chassis sent out to Sharp Image Repair, they replaced caps and flyback and sent it back repaired. I reinstall the chassis, and the tube now does one of two things when I power it up:

1) neck gets glow very briefly and sounds like it’s going to power up for a second, then shuts down/nothing.

2) neck gets glow and sparks around sort of crazy for a brief moment (2 or 3 seconds), then shuts down/nothing.

Sent the chassis back to Sharp Image repair presuming it wasn’t repaired properly, they sent a brief video of the chassis working, then sent the chassis back.

I’ve confirmed repeatedly that the connections are good. I’ve confirmed it’s not a Medium/Standard Res setting issue.

This is a very brief video of the issue (turn up sound):

Sharp Image Repair is saying that it sounds like I have a bad tube. A friend who is better at diagnosing these things than I am suspects this might also be the case (but is not very familiar with this monitor/candy cabs), and confirmed the monitor was getting the correct voltage. I’m posting a brief video of the neck of the tube in hopes to get a second opinion from someone who might be familiar with this sort of thing. Any input would be greatly appreciated - thanks!
grantspain
Tech Head

Re: Nanao 2931 / Blast City Monitor issue

Post by grantspain »

tube gone to air- new tube required
wontwa
Please Continue...
eBay: wontwa_inc
Initials: DJB

Post by wontwa »

grantspain wrote: April 3rd, 2019, 6:11 pm tube gone to air- new tube required
Thanks for the feedback on this, I really appreciate it. I've got feelers out, and have combed through some threads - going to be interesting sorting this out, that's for sure ha.
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

This is interesting because this happened to me and one other guy. Same exact monitor. Tube was fully working before I removed the neck connector and when I put it back in, I got sparking in the neck. Tested with a CRT analyzer and tube is dead.

I can't remember if I had to use more force than normal when removing the connector, but I've removed hundreds of neck connectors, all without issue.

Is the electron gun assembly glued so poorly to the neck of the tube that when the neck connector is pulled the glue breaks and the seal is breached?
RKDE
Please Continue...
eBay: agile00
Initials: RWF

Post by RKDE »

I have also had the same thing happen, my tube is shot too.

Its a bummer.

Rob
phillv85
Please Continue...
Initials: PAV

Post by phillv85 »

Interesting they said they changed the flyback, I was under the impression these were long out of production and only ever available to certain repairers.
kravex
eBay: thekravex

Post by kravex »

I'm currently searching for a flyback for my MS-2931, do you know where i can get one?
iori

Post by iori »

Hello,

their is one seller on TaoBao but impossible to buy from him.
It seems one Spanish guy did it because now it sells on eBay (much higher price, but available)

Regards.