Help Building Horizontal Yoke Adapter

For monitor related issues
kuze
Help Building Horizontal Yoke Adapter

Post by kuze »

Hey guys,

I need to try and build an adapter so I can plug in the horizontal yoke cable into a Nanao MS2933 chassis I'm using to replace the original PB7534 chassis.

Any idea on the part number for the horizontal deflection plug found on Nanao MS293x series chassis (and also MS9s I believe)?

Also any idea on a female plug that the original PB7534 yoke wiring can mate with?

Here's some pics of it:
grantspain
Tech Head

Re: Help Building Horizontal Yoke Adapter

Post by grantspain »

i am quite sure the ms2933 has a different inductance to the toshiba chassis
kuze

Post by kuze »

grantspain wrote: January 29th, 2019, 7:28 pm i am quite sure the ms2933 has a different inductance to the toshiba chassis
Thanks for chiming in, grant! I measured the inductance on the existing yoke:

Red/Blue (Horizontal): 0.23 mH
Green/Yellow (Vertical): 11.95 mH

That should be in range for using the MS2933, correct?
kuze

Post by kuze »

Also I may have a solution for the yoke wiring. I dug through my stuff and found a Wei Ya yoke adapter, it's four pins but it actually fits on the two pin MS2933 header!

Next was figuring out how to interface with the existing yoke plug. I dug around a bit more and found a molex power part.

Looking at it closely, I thought I might be able to pull two of the four pins and use that.

Guess what, it worked!

It's pretty snug and I verified continuity using the posts on the yoke.

If you wouldn't mind confirming about the inductance, I'd appreciate it grantspain!
Asure
eBay: asure_nl

Post by Asure »

Assuming all the info on the wiki pages is correct and 2931/32/33 are indeed all the same

2932 is listed here as https://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/Yoke_Specifications

Lh 0.196mh (0.230 on yours +0.034)
Lv 13.8mh (11.95 on yours -1.85)
Rh 0.6 ohms
Rv 6.9 ohms

So, one would assume a 2933 chassis to expect a tube in similar range.
I do not see a problem with the 0.034 mH in the horizontal area (having used tubes with 0.080-0.100 difference on a ms9)
I was always told by others that the Horizontal was the biggest potential problem, and the -1.85 on the vertical does not seem like a biggie.
You could run into size adjustment issues on the vertical, i have size adjustment issues on the horizontal with 0.3 vs 0.4 mH :)

I would make 101% sure it's all connected and fire her up :)

Don't forget the ground wire btw.

kuze wrote: January 29th, 2019, 9:13 pm
grantspain wrote: January 29th, 2019, 7:28 pm i am quite sure the ms2933 has a different inductance to the toshiba chassis
Thanks for chiming in, grant! I measured the inductance on the existing yoke:

Red/Blue (Horizontal): 0.23 mH
Green/Yellow (Vertical): 11.95 mH

That should be in range for using the MS2933, correct?
kuze

Post by kuze »

Thanks Asure. I chatted with grantspain via PM and he confirmed the inductance should be OK based on my readings from the yoke.

Next problem I encountered is the neck card cables for the MS2933 aren't long enough to reach the neck from where the chassis sits in its tray. >_>

Looking at some Windy 2 pics online of a MS2930 installed, it looks like they hacked the neck card wires and lengthened them (maybe at factory).

I may see if raising the chassis up a bit will be enough to get the neck card to reach. Someone else mentioned they did something similar with a PFX in their Windy 2.

What ground wire? You mean the dag wire to neck board?