NNC Monitor best GPU

For monitor related issues
M3th0D
eBay: MayDie
Initials: MZT

NNC Monitor best GPU

Post by M3th0D »

Hi All

I recently got a New Net City and want to connect a PC to the monitor.

I've been reading forums, watching videos and googling this search query for many hours and I'm still not sure which GPU to get.

I have an old i7 2600k pc with no GPU.

From what I've read ATI/AMD cards are the best way to go using crt emudriver. I want to use mame but also play Street Fighter 4 on it. So would a R9 280X be ok with the monitor? The monitor is a Toshiba PF D29C051.

Thanks
loscanones

Re: NNC Monitor best GPU

Post by loscanones »

M3th0D wrote: October 28th, 2018, 7:21 am Hi All

I recently got a New Net City and want to connect a PC to the monitor.

I've been reading forums, watching videos and googling this search query for many hours and I'm still not sure which GPU to get.

I have an old i7 2600k pc with no GPU.

From what I've read ATI/AMD cards are the best way to go using crt emudriver. I want to use mame but also play Street Fighter 4 on it. So would a R9 280X be ok with the monitor? The monitor is a Toshiba PF D29C051.

Thanks
I believe that first question should be: Do you really want to run each game (assuming that you`re using MAME) in native resolution?
If yes, then you have few examples of suitable video cards on this site.
If not, you can use an Ultimarc video card or else and keep it in 31Khz, same as frontend (ex. Hyperspin).

Personally i gave up with native resolutions since i`m playing various games in a row and returning to frontend can be a little bit demanding for monitor.
I`m using Ultimarc video card.

And yes, i know there is a big discussion about native resolutions...and how original or not a game may look.
For me anyway it will never look original since the size and curvature of the screen are -obviously- different. Dot pitch as well.

So, it`s a matter of taste. You can easily made some tests and decide.
M3th0D
eBay: MayDie
Initials: MZT

Post by M3th0D »

Thanks for the reply.

I think I'll probably go with running it at 31khz as it still looks good on the screen.
markedkiller78
Pony fucker
eBay: markedkiller78
Initials: MAL

Post by markedkiller78 »

If you go down the 31k route, you can use fake scanlines for the 15k games and native 480p for everything else.

Cools has the same monitor and a groovy setup, I’m not sure what he uses though. Hopefully he will chime in
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

Just grab the fastest whatever GPU is compatible with the latest CRT_EmuDriver, suspect an R9 variant is what you're after.

I use fanless only cards so i'm way behind the curve
Dache

Post by Dache »

Is there any way to disable the Super Resolution stuff and use a basic 640x480 output for specific games in GroovyMAME? There's a couple of games that don't play nice in whatever resolution GroovyMAME wants to utilise when doing Super Resolutions on my monitor, so I'd want to try disabling it for those whenever I find them. 99% are okay, there's just a couple that result in a juddering or flickering image.

I know adding an ini for a specific ROM should force MAME to use whatever settings are different in that file when compared to the default ini settings, so I'm hoping there's a single line I can add for those games that'll force it to revert to 640x480...