Monitor mildly annoying issue

For monitor related issues
o1s1n
eBay: astro_oisin

Monitor mildly annoying issue

Post by o1s1n »

I've had an issue with a monitor since getting a cab a good 5-6 years ago, have just lived with it as it's fairly mild (!) but would be nice to get it fixed. I had the chassis recapped a few years ago and it didn't solve it.

It's a Toei TC-RM25T (with a Toshiba A59JMZ90X) in an SNK Candy 25. (Pre Neo Geo)

Picture is absolutely lovely and stable, colours are gorgeous, but....

Whenever something bright happens on screen, a dark shadow appears on the horizontal where the bright sprite is.

So for example, when a grenade explodes in Metal slug, the whole horizointal area each side of the explosion sprite (from one edge of the screen to the other) will momentarily be a shade darker than it should be. I've tried to photograph it over the years but it has proven to be impossible. The effect is so feint the camera won't pick it up. The rest of the image stays the correct colour.

It's annoying though as if you're chucking a load of grenades in Metal Slug then it'll happen over and over, which produces a kind of flashing effect.

I was thinking it might just be a power issue? (Maybe with the cab's PSU itself?)

It's also noticeable in reverse actually now that I think about it. Aliens Versus Predator has a lot of instances where there are bright floor sections with Dark Aliens walking around on them.

When you have a bright floor with a Dark Alien, the floor either side of the alien, so on the same horizontal plane will have the same shadow mentioned above.

Any ideas? I might actually just try and whip out the cabs PSU to see if it is in fact a power issue.
grantspain
Tech Head

Re: Monitor mildly annoying issue

Post by grantspain »

could be earth/ground related and it could be power supply related- all cheap and easy to resolve
o1s1n
eBay: astro_oisin

Post by o1s1n »

Cheers dude :)
matt5cott
eBay: matt5cott
Initials: MAT

Post by matt5cott »

Will be interesting to see if you recap the PSU or just plain replace it, looking to do it on mine (same cab, similar Monitor/Chassis setup)
ImageImageImage
mufunyo
eBay: mufunyo
Initials: MUF

Post by mufunyo »

I'd say it's a cap issue on the chassis.
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

mufunyo wrote:I'd say it's a cap issue on the chassis.
normally yes but caps have been done apparently
mufunyo
eBay: mufunyo
Initials: MUF

Post by mufunyo »

grantspain wrote:
mufunyo wrote:I'd say it's a cap issue on the chassis.
normally yes but caps have been done apparently
Oh I missed that detail, sorry.