MS9 has a buzzing sound and the colors iffy at times

For monitor related issues
GeekMan1222
Please Continue...
eBay: geekman2005

MS9 has a buzzing sound and the colors iffy at times

Post by GeekMan1222 »

So I been putting this off way to long.
My NAC's MS9 has had a problem for a while where the color tones will shift a bit if the cabinet is bumped around or you tap on the CRT a bit. Usually if you give a little nudge it will snap back to its colors. Its like it will wash out one of the RED GREEN or Blue Channles.

Now I have posted about this before and people have told me its the control pots on the adjustment sub board. I havent gotten around to that.

Now i have a new issue. I want to say its a Fly Back going bad or something is slowly killing its self like a capacitor (which this chassis needs one anyways im sure.)
Anyways I was minding my own business playing some Mushi Futari bump the cab maybe a bit to hard tap dodging out of this one section when all the sudden I start to hear a buzzing or hum sound coming from the CRT it was faint and I was in the heat of Stage 5. After being distracted by the fact i might be killing my CRT and dieing because of that I promptly listened in on the tube/chassis area.

Sure enough theres a fairly audible static like buzz sound coming from the chassis area. If its a failing FBT I doubt theres much i could do other than run it into the ground or replace it asap.
So far theres no strange behavior like its dieing so idk what to do.

I just wanted some feed back. What do you guys think?
Thanks

Edit: I just realized it could be a failing balast on the marquee tube so maybe we shouldnt rule that out but it definitely sounds like its from the chassis to me
1x New Astro City, 1x Madonna, 1x G-Balance
grantspain
Tech Head

Re: MS9 has a buzzing sound and the colors iffy at times

Post by grantspain »

caps and bad solder joints, do it soon before it causes further issues

only ever seen one bad flyback on a ms9 and that was due to severe corrosion

sometimes deflection yokes can make a buzzing noise btw
GeekMan1222
Please Continue...
eBay: geekman2005

Re: MS9 has a buzzing sound and the colors iffy at times

Post by GeekMan1222 »

Thanks I should have some extra hobby money trickling in soon so that will go towards caps. I might go back to Mame for a bit pull the monitor and chassis out and give an inspection and cleaning.
1x New Astro City, 1x Madonna, 1x G-Balance