Two dead Hantarex MTC 9000 chassis, flyback replacement?

For monitor related issues
nem
Needs a custom rank

Two dead Hantarex MTC 9000 chassis, flyback replacement?

Post by nem »

I picked up three old Electrocoin upright racing cabs sometime back. Only one of the three games turned on with an image on the screen, the other two had monitors with no neck glow. Carted all three cabs into storage and left them be.

Anyway, I had some spare time today to have a better look at the monitors. All three have 20" MTC 9000 monitors in them, two with Orion tubes (A48), one with a Nokia (A51). The monitor with one of the Orion tubes is the working one, but I guess they're all interchangeable tubes and chassis wise?

Started with the Nokia one first. Pretty easy to find at least one problem with it:
flyback_vomit.jpg
Is the HR7025 the correct replacement for this flyback? Grantspain, did you still have these for sale?

Put that chassis aside and grabbed the other Orion one. Wasn't exactly hard to find an issue with this chassis either:
capacitor_vomit.jpg
I'll clean up the area and recap it.

All three have badly burned tubes. I guess it should be somewhat easy to find compatible TV tubes for this size?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
nem
Needs a custom rank

Re: Two dead Hantarex MTC 9000 chassis, flyback replacement?

Post by nem »

Might as well update this.

I swapped a working flyback to chassis #1 and replaced one visibly burnt resistor, it works just fine now. I have a HR7025 flyback coming in the mail, so I'll put that in when I get it.

Put all new caps in chassis #2 and that one works now as well.

So 3/3 monitors working, pretty chuffed with the result.

The monitor with the Nokia tube had the worst burn in of the three, so I decided to find a donor TV tube for it. There's a really good thread on the Arcade Controls forum where PrincessPrinPrin outlines what kind of TV you need to look out for a tube swap. With this info on hand I started looking at local classifieds. Didn't take long to find a possible candidate, a Finlux 20 B 59 TX. Haggled with the seller a bit and eventually got the TV for free. Brought it to the work place, cracked open the casing and found inside a TTD A48EEV13X01 tube.

Removed both tubes from their frames. I kept the original yokes on both and just swapped the chassis leads. I then put the TTD tube in the Hantarex, and the Nokia tube in the Finlux:
swapped_tubes_1.jpg
swapped_tubes_2.jpg
Put the Hantarex back in the cab and plugged it in. After a quick fiddle with the monitor adjustments I have to say I'm pretty impressed with the picture quality on the TTD tube. The original yoke on it looks very cheap (no purity rings for one matter), however, the picture quality is great. Both geometry and convergence are bang on.

The Finlux on the other hand looks absolutely terrible. Poor colors, blurry image and, to top it off, major burn in. I don't think I'll dare to make a new classified ad for it now :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PrincessPrinPrin
eBay: *mkl*
Initials: MKL

Post by PrincessPrinPrin »

That's a tube that Hantarex actually used for the Polo. TTD means Thomson Tubes and Displays, it was Thomson's CRT plant in Poland (formerly called Polkolor). They had another plant in Italy called Videocolor and the tubes from these plants were built with the same specs and widely used by Hantarex and other Italian companies (they are also very common in TVs). These tubes don't have discrete rings for purity and convergence but a single ring (under the yellow tape) permanently magnetized with all the necessary corrections.

A couple of videos of the TTD plant:

nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

I have another larger Finlux (28") that has a Videocolor tube in it. Makes sense!
PrincessPrinPrin wrote:These tubes don't have discrete rings for purity and convergence but a single ring (under the yellow tape) permanently magnetized with all the necessary corrections.
I was slightly skeptical about this 'one size fits all' approach, but my worries were unfounded!
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

Did two more tube swaps. Man, I wish all tube swaps were this easy.

tubes.jpg
Donor TVs had only one requirement, they had to be free :awe: From a Gigatron (yes, I know, I've never heard of it either) FC-2000 came an Ekranas A48LPE01X01 tube. From a Nokia MP2 51 A2 came a Samsung A48ECR31X59 tube. Like last time, I just swapped the yoke leads over.

So basically:

1) Swap tubes
2) Swap yoke leads

Old dag wire and degaussing coil were just put back as they were originally.

Here's a pic of Out Run on the Samsung + MTC 9000 combo. I just turned up the volts on the flyback to get a nice bright picture, no other additional adjustments were done.

outrun.jpg
Got to love that burn free tube.

So out of three TVs that were pretty much picked at random, all three yokes were compatible.
crocky
Please Continue...
eBay: suv-20

Post by crocky »

Keeping an eye on this thread ;) Cheers Nem.
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

Well, I don't think there will be any new developments. All three monitors have working chassis and now "new" tubes.

Now I just need to fix the cabs their in :roll:

Post pics of your projects when you have the chance!