The horizontal deflection yoke connector in my MS2932 shorted and caught fire

For monitor related issues
nem
Needs a custom rank

The horizontal deflection yoke connector in my MS2932 shorted and caught fire

Post by nem »

The back of my Naomi started spewing smoke and the screen turned into a garbled mess. Pulled out the monitor and here's the culprit:
crispy.jpg
First off I'll check the yoke isn't shorted I guess? If it's OK, anything on the chassis I should check? Where can I find a new connector?

Ta very much.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
grantspain
Tech Head

Re: The horizontal deflection yoke connector in my MS2932 shorted and caught fire

Post by grantspain »

it will be fine once you replace the header and connector
nem
Needs a custom rank

Re: The horizontal deflection yoke connector in my MS2932 shorted and caught fire

Post by nem »

Excellent :)

Can you come up with a model number for a suitable header and connector? I don't mind if it's not exactly like the original.

Thanks!
PrincessPrinPrin
eBay: *mkl*
Initials: MKL

Post by PrincessPrinPrin »

I have tons of these (harvested mostly from PC monitors). I'll send you some if you give me your address.
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

Very generous :)

PM'd
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

The monitor is working again thanks to Grant and PrincessPrinPrin (thanks again to both!). However, there is an issue with it.

While I replaced the the yoke connector I thought I might as well recap the whole chassis. Plugged everything in and the picture looks great, except the image is too wide. The horizontal size pot does very little and even when turned all the way down the image still extends over both edges of the screen.

Thinking I might have put in a wrong value cap I double checked all the caps and everything checks out. I'll check my soldering next. In the mean time, is it possible something might have blown when the connector shorted?
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

some of tracks on these are very delicate so check all your soldering, also there is a sub horizontal size-see if that works
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

Sub horizontal size did nothing.

I'll go over my soldering.
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

My soldering was fine.

In the end it was the transistor in Q505 that was busted (the D1944 to the right of the connector).

Everything's A-OK again :awe: