MS9 weird behavior

For monitor related issues
zumbito
eBay: jaime5171

MS9 weird behavior

Post by zumbito »

I just reassembled a New Astro cIty with a Nanao Ms9. The first time I turned it on, everything worked fine with no issues, played some Sunset Riders for like an hour and went to sleep. Next day I tried to turn it on and noting happened, unplugged the AMp connector, measured the voltages, and everything was OK, I put it all back in place and it started working again. Today same thing happened, this time I took the monitor out of the cab measured voltages and turned it on again, everything was ok, except that I forgot to connect the remote board so the image was a thin line. I turned it off, connect the remote board and again nothing happens, no image, no sound of electricity, nothing. Any idea what this could be and how to fix it?
I just took the monitor back out and can hear the static energy for like two or three seconds and then the monitor powering off. Not sure how to fix this...
rugdoctor
Please Continue...
Initials: KLM

Re: MS9 weird behavior

Post by rugdoctor »

I use to have the same issue on the versus city...of which 1 monitor will not work when the other one was fine. Everything was resolved once I moved to a room with no condensation/humidity problem.
my website: http://kelvinsgamingheaven.blogspot.co.nz/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
zumbito

Post by zumbito »

Seems now it is working ok, I don't understand... What I need to fix now is the geometry, pretty messed up:

Fro some reason, it doesn't cover the screen vertically, and the know for V position doesn't work, the only way to move the image upwards is when I touch the knob with my finger, but the moment I release image immediately drops. Should I replace those front knobs? Any idea the what should I buy ?

Als de top part is a bit compressed. Can't seem to get it right with the chassis controls.
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

its a mix of bad caps and faulty pot
zumbito

Post by zumbito »

grantspain wrote:its a mix of bad caps and faulty pot
Thanks Grant, I guess a full cap kit is due, and for the pot, will have to source something similar, they were already a bit rusty anyway.
zumbito

Post by zumbito »

grantspain wrote:its a mix of bad caps and faulty pot

Hi Grant, haven't had any luck sourcing the pots. Do you know the model or specs?
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

zumbito

Post by zumbito »

grantspain wrote:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10k-Ohm-0-05W ... M43c4NIJpQ

pretty sure its a 10k pot
Thanks! :awe:
zumbito

Post by zumbito »

Well, I have decided to take the remote off and try to measure the pots, what a mess.
Thats the comparison between what I can read in the schematics on the wiki, and what I get with my multimeter in my remote:

Type Wiki (hard to read) My measure

Contrast 5k 2.44k

R. Gain 3.5k 4.5k

G. Gain 3.5k 3.62k

B. Gain 3.5k 2.9k

Bright 3.5k 1.26k

H. Size 10k 6.24k

H. Position 10k 1.26k (this is weird, cause if I measure pin 1 and 3, I get this measure, but if I measure 2 an 1 or 3 I can get resistance up to 2.7k)

V. Size 10k 5.44k

V. Position 10k 1,26k (same issue as H position)

None of the measure match, together with the weird issue with position pots, makes me wonder, should I change them all? The only issue I have with the image quality is regarding V position, that is always down...

What about the wattage of these pots? Are they linear or logarithmic?
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

I think measurements will be off if you measure them in circuit. You need to remove them before measuring them.
zumbito

Post by zumbito »

nem wrote:I think measurements will be off if you measure them in circuit. You need to remove them before measuring them.
Ooops, I didn't think about that...
zumbito

Post by zumbito »

Well, I ended up changing the remote board, and it worked fine, but now we are back to not turning on (not related with the board replacement, as it worked well for weeks). At first it turned on randomly, but now its been two days without turning on. Any ideas?
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

Did you do a full recap?
zumbito

Post by zumbito »

No, I'm quite afraid of doing one :oops:
zumbito

Post by zumbito »

Ok, today I gathered the courage to take out the monitor, I have taken the chasis apart, but not sure what to look for or how to spot a cold solder. The caps look OK but not an expert, from the solder part, I can see yellowed parts, but I think thats the flux...

Can you guys see anything suspicious or should I just go ahead for the full recap?

grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

you have **** loads of bad solder joints and I can't even expand the photos
looks at the caps in power supply section
look at the horizontal drive transformer
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

zumbito

Post by zumbito »

cools wrote:Image
Is the the rust what identifies cold solders?

grantspain wrote:you have **** loads of bad solder joints and I can't even expand the photos
looks at the caps in power supply section
look at the horizontal drive transformer
Really?? :oops: I think recapping will be the only way... I was checking for some and one cap just fell off in my hands, tried to put it back together and it turned on but no image in the screen...

C591,592 and 593 I tried to resolder them, as they seemed detached:

This one, C513 10uf 250v fell right in my hands without even touching it with the soldering iron.

Tomorrow I'll go and stack some caps, I'm a bit scared cause saw another thread here from another user who ruined some traces when recapping and I dont have a desoldering stations just a desoldering pump. How easy is to ruin the traces with that?
PrincessPrinPrin
eBay: *mkl*
Initials: MKL

Post by PrincessPrinPrin »

Noobs usually lift the pads of small capacitors because the leads are bent and when they try to straighten them the pads come off. It's much better to snip both leads and then remove them separately from the solder side.
zumbito

Post by zumbito »

PrincessPrinPrin wrote:Noobs usually lift the pads of small capacitors because the leads are bent and when they try to straighten them the pads come off. It's much better to snip both leads and then remove them separately from the solder side.
Note taken, will be carefull with that.

BTW, I've notices that while all the caps are nichibutsu, some have a black and some have brown cover, some have just the temperature while others have a (M) in front, and some have KME written above the specs. Does that mean something?

Second question, ceramic capacitors should also be swapped or just electrolytic?