Nanao ms2931 remains black :(

For monitor related issues
Rood
eBay: fredscape
Initials: RED

Nanao ms2931 remains black :(

Post by Rood »

Just got a very nice Astro 2 with a nanao ms-2932 inside. After 2 days the screen went blank during a gaming session and has not returned to life after.

When I turn the cab on I hear a double clicking sound and I can hear the game starting but no screen. If I turn the power off I hear another small click after 30 secs or so (end of the video)
The neck does not glow or any static on the screen.

Anyone an idea or come across this before?

Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis, man when I was dead broke I couldn`t picture this ...

My Neo Games
grantspain
Tech Head

Re: Nanao ms2931 remains black :(

Post by grantspain »

its going into ocp due to a short on either the vertical or horizontal deflection circuits-
can you see any leakage from the horizontal drive coil,it would be a mass of black tar like substance
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

grantspain wrote:can you see any leakage from the horizontal drive coil,it would be a mass of black tar like substance
It's in the video at around 0:40.

Was it ever resolved if the tar causes actual issues? I have it in my most of my chassis and it hasn't been a problem (yet?).
Rood

Post by Rood »

Thanks for the info, I'll have a look later when I get home. I think he chassis can use a clean anyway as there is some real filth on some parts. Worst case it needs a new one but I prefer to fix this.

It's just really annoying that it happened after 2 days :-( no real game time yet and 2 mega disappointed kids. Not sure which is worse :-)
Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis, man when I was dead broke I couldn`t picture this ...

My Neo Games
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

nem wrote:
grantspain wrote:can you see any leakage from the horizontal drive coil,it would be a mass of black tar like substance
It's in the video at around 0:40.

Was it ever resolved if the tar causes actual issues? I have it in my most of my chassis and it hasn't been a problem (yet?).
the tar substance is the potting agent from the horizontal drive coil,the coil gets too hot for the potting agent and it leaks-if it leaks across the horizontal output transistor and beyond it will short out the components-if it does not touch any components it will not cause a problem
Rood

Post by Rood »

So would removing it be enough or do I need to replace anything? I'm looking at replacing the whole chassis but if that's not needed I'd be happy enough to just whip out the soldering iron and minimize the damage. :-)

My Neo Games
Rood

Post by Rood »

after taking a closer look it seems indeed that the tar is touching some parts, but it seems near impossible to remove.
Any ideas on how to clean this? or is this a lost case.....

My Neo Games
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

when i repair these chassis with this leakage I have to remove all components that the potting agent is touching and clean the components and chassis with contact cleaner,replacing any shorted components
not an easy job for a novice
Rood

Post by Rood »

grantspain wrote:when i repair these chassis with this leakage I have to remove all components that the potting agent is touching and clean the components and chassis with contact cleaner,replacing any shorted components
not an easy job for a novice
indeed, I'll leave it like it is, better swap for a new chassis and see if it still worth to get repaired.
Need to get it up and running as soon as possible, getting withdrawal symptoms....

My Neo Games
PrincessPrinPrin
eBay: *mkl*
Initials: MKL

Post by PrincessPrinPrin »

Where in Italy are you? I can fix it for you.
mufunyo
eBay: mufunyo
Initials: MUF

Post by mufunyo »

I thought after all was said and done it was concluded that the potting agent is non-conductive? I think the wiki even says so. If not it should be updated.
Rood

Post by Rood »

mufunyo wrote:I thought after all was said and done it was concluded that the potting agent is non-conductive? I think the wiki even says so. If not it should be updated.
Just read it and indeed it says that.

Screen just died mid game and hasn't come back to life. Looks like something is shorting or there is a problem with the amount of power coming in.
Unfortunately I have no means to measure the voltage or check anything and be 100% sure.

So atm it's guesswork. Have nothing else then the sound in the video and the picture of the "goop"

My Neo Games
Rood

Post by Rood »

PrincessPrinPrin wrote:Where in Italy are you? I can fix it for you.
I'm in Monza, would be cool if you could have a look.
[edit] I see you're 3,5 hours from here :-)

My Neo Games
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

mufunyo wrote:I thought after all was said and done it was concluded that the potting agent is non-conductive?
This is what I'm thinking, since I have the tar all over (and under) different components.
PrincessPrinPrin
eBay: *mkl*
Initials: MKL

Post by PrincessPrinPrin »

Rood wrote:
You would need to send me the chassis.
Rood

Post by Rood »

PrincessPrinPrin wrote:
Rood wrote:
You would need to send me the chassis.
Of course :-) I'll contact you if i need your services, thank you!

My Neo Games
Rood

Post by Rood »

nem wrote:
mufunyo wrote:I thought after all was said and done it was concluded that the potting agent is non-conductive?
This is what I'm thinking, since I have the tar all over (and under) different components.
It's just very strange, I read somewhere else that the agent together with epoxy resin over time could turn out to be conductive.

I just know I had a working screen that died on me making me cry a lot. Especially since I just got the machine 3 days ago...

My Neo Games
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

this is really common,did 5 of these chassis last week with same issue
lynyx77
Please Continue...

Post by lynyx77 »

Hi Grantspain,

I Think I've the same issue with MS-2930 chassis. A lot of mass of black are near the Coil and HOT and flyback.
But I've tested the HOT and it's Ok , could it be possible that the BU Q701 (Leaked)?
From your experience regarding your last 5 chassis does the BU was impacted or it still the HOT?
Does we need to replace the Coil? and what is his reference?

Thank you
Rood

Post by Rood »

In my case everything was cleaned and tested thoroughly by princessprinprin but the issue is somewhere in the power circuit.

Still not sure what it is and how to fix. Hope yours is a bit easier....

My Neo Games