Neo Candy 29 - Monitor Brightness Clipping

For monitor related issues
daskrabs
Neo Candy 29 - Monitor Brightness Clipping

Post by daskrabs »

The stock monitor in my cab (Hitachi GMK-29FS2) has an issue with the brightness where if the overall screen brightness goes above a certain level, it gets noticeably dimmer instantly. For example, it can be easily noticed on the Neo Geo splash screen or the opening Nazca screen of Neo Turf Masters. It happens on screens that are not all white like these, but those are just obvious examples. I've already installed a cap kit, so it's likely not a cap. Maybe the flyback or an IC? Anyone have a schematic?
Asure
eBay: asure_nl

Re: Neo Candy 29 - Monitor Brightness Clipping

Post by Asure »

Do you have a decent black screen setting? (is the screen 100% black where it is supposed to be black?)
If not, turn down the screen potentionmeter on the flyback a bit (carefull, high voltage area!)

It could be your contrast in general is set too high, and a x-ray protection circuit kicks in as the general screen voltage gets above the 'safe' limit.
White means R/G/B is all full on, and draws the most power :)

I am not familiar with this type of monitor, but get some screenshots of r/g/b colour bars up so we can see how this thing is set up right now and go from there. :)
daskrabs

Post by daskrabs »

Yes, black looks very nice. Color is good too. There is no "contrast" setting on this chassis as such. Just brightness on the remote board and sub-brightness on the flyback. I've fiddled with both trying to keep the brightness from cutting, but no luck. I don't think the protection circuit is enabling unless component is damaged.
NGAES

Post by NGAES »

Yes, the pot on the flyback (not the focus), the other one, have you tried lowering it?
daskrabs

Post by daskrabs »

Yes, I tried adjusting. No change.