Egret 2 31Khz - Vertical Collapse ?

For monitor related issues
anx10us
Egret 2 31Khz - Vertical Collapse ?

Post by anx10us »

Hi

I'm hoping for some assistance, I've literally just recovered my Egret2 from storage over the last 3 years, its been transported today and once in the house, I let the cabinet sit for a good 12 hours and have decided to give it a try. On powering on the cabinet (connected via 110v-240v tranformer) and then the VGA attached Dreamcast, the marquee light come on and I get the audible click as it switches modes and then a thin vertical line which looks likes its a few pixels wide (the monitor is currently set vertically). The original chassis was replaced with a Wei-Ya to enable 31Khz when I purchased the cab from the original killercabs shipment, Mr. Megalo did the chassis swap, its worked fine up until now ..

I'm assume this is a vertical collapse, its clear there is an input as the line changes colour and you can sort of make out that everything is squashed.

Are there any troubleshooting things I can try, or do I just bite the bullet and get some to help with a repair ? I've tried VGA connection from both Dreamcast and Xbox.

Should I have waited a little longer to power the cabinet on ?
Could it be a loose connection (it travelled back to the house on its side and then on its back through the front door).
Have a missed something obvious ?
Could I have hooked everything back up wrong ? (2 vga connections, i'm positive i'm connected to the correct one, the other vga connector is female and is used to connect back to the male if I use the jamma board for monitor input)

Thanks

Simon
grantspain
Tech Head

Re: Egret 2 31Khz - Vertical Collapse ?

Post by grantspain »

yes very common fault on wei ya/rodotron chassis of this range-chassis got a little stressed and ping
you are lucky its still starting up,don't switch it on again as you will get more components blow-atm its a reasonably cheap repair
anx10us

Post by anx10us »

Thanks for the information, so I guess it needs a repair ?

I don't suppose you'll be near Oxfordshire anytime soon ? ;-)
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

anx10us wrote:Thanks for the information, so I guess it needs a repair ?

I don't suppose you'll be near Oxfordshire anytime soon ? ;-)
if you remove the chassis you can send it by courier,i don't leave the house if i can help it
anx10us

Post by anx10us »

Shame, I can't even figure out how to get at the anode to take it out :-( its hidden behind the rotation mechanism as far as I can see ...

If I pluck up the courage to take it out, any idea on cost and turnaround (or should we discuss via PM ?)

Thanks

Simon
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

probably around £40-45 as long as the chassis was not on too long,plus shipping of course-can't tell for sure until i start repairing it tbh

best way to do this is to remove the entire monitor with someones help

the anode does not hold any charge on these chassis after a few mins so you could reach up and remove it quite safely-maybe wait 24 hours to be sure
anx10us

Post by anx10us »

Ok thanks, i'll look at removing the chassis over the weekend, unfortunately (or fortunately) as its an Egret2 with rotation mech the chassis isn't physically attached to the monitor frame in any way, having had another look I should be able to to get at the anode, disconnect the molex adapters and the yoke connection and remove the chassis without removing the monitor.

I'll let you know how i get on !
anx10us

Post by anx10us »

Morning, chassis is out, lots of pictures taken to make sure I know where everything goes. Any recommendations on couriers, or even better is there any way I can drop it to you (I travel a lot for work)

Thanks