Hitachi GMK Pony Mark IV won't power

For monitor related issues
LWK
Please Continue...
Initials: LWK

Hitachi GMK Pony Mark IV won't power

Post by LWK »

I am finishing up a restoration of a cab I bought dead. I have the power supply kicking, so it plays blind now (woot)

I have this weird issue with the monitor when it is plugged into the machine, it will not power. Here is a video of my issue with the monitor plugged directly in *eek*:

http://youtu.be/31poVygNSvQ

I do not own a blue ring tester, so I cannot diagnose the flyback. Maybe some transistor is blown, any help is appreciated.
I plan to recap the entire thing, but can a issue like this be caused by capacitors? It sounds like its trying to power but some component is preventing it.
Also, in a picture is a arrow pointing to a connector that has no other connector to it. I figure it was a scroll led addition that has no bearing on anything.
3.JPG
Here are pictures:
1.JPG
2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by LWK on September 5th, 2015, 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
LWK
Please Continue...

Re: Hitachi GMK Pony Mark IV won't power

Post by LWK »

4.JPG
5.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LWK
Please Continue...

Post by LWK »

Wow, so get this, when I plug the monitor into the cabinet, I get nothing, when I plug the monitor and cabinet AC out into a extension cord together, they work perfectly. Could this entire thing be some grounding issue? Maybe my isolation transformer is wonky? Maybe my cabinets 5v/12 etc switching supply is the problem? I've tried plugging the monitor into my kyotaro cabinet area and got nothing there either. I'm really confused.. I honestly don't know what the hell the issue is. Worst case scenario I just bridge them to a extension cord that exits externally, but I'd prefer not to do that if I can make it stock. Thing is almost at the finishing line and then I can upload a entire video of its restoration! Flyback is fine. Originally it was squealing and then it stopped and just runs fine. Seems intermittent, cap kit?

EDIT; Replugged, it is now back to that squeling sound, a few plug ins and it can work again. Is the flyback toast =/
LWK
Please Continue...

Post by LWK »

Few more videos. It's working, but it squeals for some time and then when I replug it, it works fine, I can see a picture and everything.... What would cause a issue like this?

https://youtu.be/UZUjkZxLFyo

https://youtu.be/kqxAc55rMUE

sorry my audio sucks, this camera is no good.
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

check for bad solder joints first,caps could cause it so could the flyback
LWK
Please Continue...

Post by LWK »

I reflowed the entire board, neckboard to, it had the issue before, changed nothing. It has all its original capacitors. Shotgun?
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

tbh you need to prove where the fault lies,either power section or deflection

you would need to isolate the flyback from circuit and add a dummy load on the b+ line,if it starts every time then issue is most likely flyback
LWK
Please Continue...

Post by LWK »

so desolder the flyback? where would I hook the light bulb to test? Keep in mind it always powers on when plugged into a wall. And it whines sometimes, but it runs.
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

if you mean you just get a high pitch whistle but always get a picture then its just a noisy linearity coil
LWK
Please Continue...

Post by LWK »

Flyback has no visible damage either. But I just dont get why when I plug it into the cab plug internally it will not power. Think maybe the caps in the cabs switcher are bad and it's preventing it? I can't see how it'd play blind without it working. Funny enough, the cabs light doesn't work either. Maybe check the switching psu's wires continuity? When I first fired on the PSU, it didn't start at all, it looked fine and after a reflow and cleanig it would. Am I just reawkening the electrolyte in the caps themselves,and its running real half assed? Course, light could just be a bad bulb. No idea. Only makes sense that something is bad in that section.
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

description of the fault is as clear as mud

is the monitor starting up every time you power on?
if no then its probably some caps on the chassis leaky
LWK
Please Continue...

Post by LWK »

Starts up every time plugged in directly, but when it is plugged in the cab, nothing.
LWK
Please Continue...

My dead pony mark IV is kicking now

Post by LWK »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcRf16y ... e=youtu.be

:awe:

Got it for 250$ delivered dead. I'm a happy dude right now.. The work was intense, and I **** hate the inside of this cab. It's anode cup accessibility is such dog crap, that I mounted the monitor upside down and switched the cable for easier access... I had this issue where the cab would not power at all when plugged into the cab itself, but worked when plugged into a standard outlet. Turned out the plug box had a wire that broke off it, and after running a continuity check, I fixed that to!

Just need to earth it and get a new bulb and work on the control panel a bit more. Having the control panel attach to the front is just idiocy. Also need to adjust the contrast.