Monitor color brightness

For monitor related issues
zumbito
eBay: jaime5171

Monitor color brightness

Post by zumbito »

Hi,

I have turned my monitor front panel and contrast controls to the max from the front of the cab. But the image is still quite dark and dull. See the image:

Any idea how to bring colors back to life?
SuperPang
Master or universe
eBay: *_*
Initials: JOE

Re: Monitor color brightness

Post by SuperPang »

Which monitor is it MS2930 or MS2931 (OSD)? It might be the RGB gain and bias that need adjusting or there could be a fault as it seems odd they'd be so low.
Pincushion (SPC 15) also needs increasing to straighten those edges.
Asure
eBay: asure_nl

Post by Asure »

Don't these have a few dips where one designates low/high impedance signals? Should be a trisync in there,if it was set for vga.. you'll need to flip that dip then :)
zumbito

Post by zumbito »

Sorry for being absent for this long. I found a video of the problem. The monitor is ms 2933 supposed to be autosynch.

Here you have a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPoDs3Ctu9s
zumbito

Post by zumbito »

SuperPang wrote:Which monitor is it MS2930 or MS2931 (OSD)? It might be the RGB gain and bias that need adjusting or there could be a fault as it seems odd they'd be so low.
It is a MS2933. What is pincushion?
Paulie
Opens wallet, moths fly out
eBay: retro-paulie
Initials: PSG

Post by Paulie »

zumbito wrote:
SuperPang wrote:Which monitor is it MS2930 or MS2931 (OSD)? It might be the RGB gain and bias that need adjusting or there could be a fault as it seems odd they'd be so low.
It is a MS2933. What is pincushion?
Horizontal and vertical lines are bending inwards toward the center of the screen. Think of a nice true grid and then sucking the sides in towards the middle, the sides will be noticeably curved, the rest of the image will also be distorted but you might not really notice it.

Have you correctly set up your monitor colours and brightness? Have a look at this guide, it's very easy to follow and can make a massive difference to your picture http://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/How_to_Co ... Brightness
zumbito

Post by zumbito »

Wow, that seems really useful!
zumbito

Post by zumbito »

This is emabrassing, but I can't find how to access my Pcb's screen test modes... I have CPS2, CPS1, MVS, Gaelco and bootleg pcbs, but no idea how the dip switches work...
DaveyD
eBay: Dr_Daph
Initials: DPD

Post by DaveyD »

With cps2 there are 3 buttons on the A board. Volume up, volume down and test.
Paulie
Opens wallet, moths fly out
eBay: retro-paulie
Initials: PSG

Post by Paulie »

First search for a Blast city manual there will be some PDFs most probably one on the wiki

Familiarise yourself with which pots you need to adjust. Some are located under the control panel and some are at the rear, you'll need to remove the little metal service panel to access these ones.

Hook up your MVS motherboard
Open the control panel
Turn the cab on
Press the test switch, it's the left hand red button next to the power switch (inside the control panel)
The MVS main menu will now be displayed
Enter hardware test
You'll now have a grid so you'll be able to see your pincushion issue clearly and make the adjustments required, this pot is SPC and located around the back though the service panel.
When you're happy with the grid, press P1 start you'll now enter the screen with colour bars and you'll be able to follow the guide that I linked to. R, G, B cut offs are around the back and the other pots that you need are under the control panel.

I'm not a blast owner so just double check with a manual but if memory serves me then what I've said is correct :)
zumbito

Post by zumbito »

Paulie wrote:First search for a Blast city manual there will be some PDFs most probably one on the wiki

Familiarise yourself with which pots you need to adjust. Some are located under the control panel and some are at the rear, you'll need to remove the little metal service panel to access these ones.

Hook up your MVS motherboard
Open the control panel
Turn the cab on
Press the test switch, it's the left hand red button next to the power switch (inside the control panel)
The MVS main menu will now be displayed
Enter hardware test
You'll now have a grid so you'll be able to see your pincushion issue clearly and make the adjustments required, this pot is SPC and located around the back though the service panel.
When you're happy with the grid, press P1 start you'll now enter the screen with colour bars and you'll be able to follow the guide that I linked to. R, G, B cut offs are around the back and the other pots that you need are under the control panel.

I'm not a blast owner so just double check with a manual but if memory serves me then what I've said is correct :)
Thank you so much!
Asure

Post by Asure »

Forget everything written above. (pincushion adjustment aside.)

SW3 on the remote board (hard to see in the panel..) is what you need to set to Jamma video voltage.
If set for JVS/VGA video voltage, the screen will be too dim.

See here: https://retrogamingstuff.files.wordpres ... ified1.jpg

Someone needs to put this on the wiki before people misadjust monitors :)
This dip switch block is a pain in the **** to see, you need a L-shaped neck and very small head. Or, stick your phone in that area and take a picture ;)
Asure

Post by Asure »

Also i posted this on J+ where you read the message on 11 januari. Did you set the dip correctly already for 15K video?

Also see this post, where it states the obvious again:
http://forum.killercabs.com/viewtopic.p ... 51#p288842
Note the 3 tiny switches, those are the resolution adjustment. Avoid adjusting them when the monitor is live.
For 15K switches should be: down, up, down
For 31K switches should be: down, down, up
I've never used 24K, so I don't know it off the top of my head.
See this for detail. You need to set dip 3 OFF (down) for Jamma.
zumbito

Post by zumbito »

Thanks for the contribution, it took ages for me to gind it on my 2931, I think when it is not synched it doesnt display any images. This blast has a 2933 or so I think, no dipswitches, it should synchronize automatically.
Asure

Post by Asure »

For the 2933 (and 2931) there should be two ways to connect video to it.
The VGA dsub connect and a 15-pin AMP style (common sega pinout).

You can see both, in the right of this picture:

Forget the circle on the left for now. You can see two headers on the right, a red one with r/g/b/white wire, and one with all white wires.

The white wires go to the VGA connector
The red/green/blue wires go to the 15-pin AMP connector.

If you are using a Jamma RGB source you will need to use the 15-pin amp connector. Not the VGA.
RGB is 3.0VPP and 2K ohm on the connector. CN201 (15 pin amp)
VGA is 0.7VPP and 75 ohm on the connector. CN251 (VGA dsub connector)

Take some pictures of how things are wired up please, without proper details, it is very hard to get to the bottom of this.
Also your video is set to private, we cannot view it.
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

imo that is a weak tube,unless you can rejuve it then there is nothing you can do
zumbito

Post by zumbito »

Asure wrote:For the 2933 (and 2931) there should be two ways to connect video to it.
The VGA dsub connect and a 15-pin AMP style (common sega pinout).

You can see both, in the right of this picture:

Forget the circle on the left for now. You can see two headers on the right, a red one with r/g/b/white wire, and one with all white wires.

The white wires go to the VGA connector
The red/green/blue wires go to the 15-pin AMP connector.

If you are using a Jamma RGB source you will need to use the 15-pin amp connector. Not the VGA.
RGB is 3.0VPP and 2K ohm on the connector. CN201 (15 pin amp)
VGA is 0.7VPP and 75 ohm on the connector. CN251 (VGA dsub connector)

Take some pictures of how things are wired up please, without proper details, it is very hard to get to the bottom of this.
Also your video is set to private, we cannot view it.

I think the video is now visible. I will try to take a pic of the chasis when I have time.
grantspain wrote:imo that is a weak tube,unless you can rejuve it then there is nothing you can do
I was just hoping it was something else. :cry: