MS9-29A screen pulsing vertically

For monitor related issues
chibishin
Please Continue...
eBay: chibishin

MS9-29A screen pulsing vertically

Post by chibishin »

I just recently fixed an issue on my MS9-29A that was causing the sides of the screen to undulate. I basically replaced all of the caps in the SMPS and a couple of others.

The following list are the caps replaced and the series used to replace them:

C911: 200v 1000uF, Panasonic ED
C951: 100v 180uF, Nichicon LXV
C952: 100v 220uF, Nichicon LXV
C953: 160v 47uF, Nichicon PW
C954: 35v 680uF, Nichicon PJ
C955: 25v 180uF, Panasonic FC (I highly suspect this was the cause, there's corrosion at the base of one of the legs that wasn't visible until it was removed)
C956: 10v 680uF, Nichicon PM
C957: 35v 10uF, Nichicon PS
C515: 160v 100uF, UCC KMG
C402: 16v 470uF, Nichicon VZ
C332: 250v 10uF, Nichicon CA (the cap I pulled was a 200v 10uF Rubycon CFX)

Waiting on my ESR meter to get in so I can confirm which caps are still good.

I tried to match ESR/Ripple Current values as closely as possible, and I think I did pretty well in that respect. The problem with the wavy screen has been fixed, however now I'm left with an image that's too wide for the screen.

Here's the screen with the Narrow tap selected:

http://i.imgur.com/DplQRYU.jpg

And with the Wide tap:

http://i.imgur.com/xpqPdQi.jpg

Both selections are with the H.Size on the remote board turned all the way down.

Any suggestions on where to start looking on this?
Last edited by chibishin on July 19th, 2015, 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
chibishin
Please Continue...

Re: MS9-29A screen image too wide

Post by chibishin »

Okay, nevermind, fixed it haha.

I had read that the H.S.Lim did not do any drastic adjustments (the quote I read said something like 6mm), but whoever said that is dead wrong. That fixed it right up, well, that and some other geometry adjustments (trapezoid, parallel, and vertical linearity).

Looking much better now, in terms of geometry. Now I just need to sort out the color. Leaving this here in case others run into this problem.
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

hs limit can adjust the screen massively

btw you were far too careful about matching the caps,as long as you install 105 degree caps of same value you will be fine
chibishin
Please Continue...

Post by chibishin »

grantspain wrote:hs limit can adjust the screen massively

btw you were far too careful about matching the caps,as long as you install 105 degree caps of same value you will be fine
yeah, I figured that much, but better safe than sorry.
xga

Post by xga »

Thanks heaps for this handy information, chibishin!
grantspain wrote: btw you were far too careful about matching the caps,as long as you install 105 degree caps of same value you will be fine
So the ripple factor doesn't matter so much then?
chibishin
Please Continue...

Post by chibishin »

Well that was short lived.

Problem is back, but instead of being on the sides of the screen, there's a sort of flag wave effect where the screen is expanding/contracting vertically. Geometry is messed up again, although I made no changes to it.

I suspect there might be a voltage regulation problem, at this point. Still waiting on my ESR meter, but I'm hoping my new caps didn't get hosed.
rugdoctor
Please Continue...
Initials: KLM

Re: MS9-29A screen pulsing vertically

Post by rugdoctor »

I was panicking a bit today when my OKBabys' ms9 mimicked a vertical collapse. I reflowed the ic close to the remote board header but to no improvement...then I realised the other end of the plug was sitting crooked at the header of the remote board causing a short and no ability to adjust the geometry. Maybe lookat the remote board as a possible fix?
my website: http://kelvinsgamingheaven.blogspot.co.nz/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
chibishin
Please Continue...

Post by chibishin »

rugdoctor wrote:I was panicking a bit today when my OKBabys' ms9 mimicked a vertical collapse. I reflowed the ic close to the remote board header but to no improvement...then I realised the other end of the plug was sitting crooked at the header of the remote board causing a short and no ability to adjust the geometry. Maybe lookat the remote board as a possible fix?
remote board is fine; I can make adjustments, that was never the problem.

originally, my screen was wavy on the sides. I recapped it, and it was fine except for the geometry. I adjusted the HS limit and that, along with some other adjustments, fixed the geometry.

now, instead of being wavy just on the sides, the wave pulses through the entire screen, vertically. could be another cap, but I'm looking at U951.
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

or it could be an earth problem
chibishin
Please Continue...

Post by chibishin »

you might be right.

the earth that connects the chassis to the plastic and metal trays was about halfway off the tap. I pushed it the rest of the way down and the problem isn't as pronounced. the problem is still there, but it's about a 1-2 pixel expansion/contraction, while before it was greater.

the earth to the neckboard was fine when I checked it.
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

what sort of power supply do you have?
chibishin
Please Continue...

Post by chibishin »

NVS-4000

I checked the voltage regulator U951. Vi was steady around 15V, Vo was around 12V.
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

remove the earths from the monitor frame
chibishin
Please Continue...

Post by chibishin »

There's only the one connecting the frame and the chassis, and I've removed it. Problem seems the same hm.

I'm notcing when there's bright colors or flashing, the screen expands, and when it's dark, it shrinks, as well. This was present before I recapped the SMPS, although it was a lot worse.
chibishin
Please Continue...

Post by chibishin »

Okay, hate to necro my post here but I wanted to write back and say that I fixed the problem. I moved this, and some other cabs, into my basement a couple of months ago and haven't had a lot of time to spend either playing or troubleshooting.

If others are having problems with wiggle or what looks like a rolling line travelling up or down the screen, check for other devices in the cab running off of the AC lines. In my case, my problem was related to the neon behind the marquee; I unplugged it and I'm no longer having issues with ground noise. Now I just need to sort out how the previous owner had this wired and see if I can resolve it.

As for the screen pulsing from bright colors, I adjusted the ABL and it's no longer as pronounced. I read elsewhere that this is just a characteristic of CRTs and that although you can adjust some of it away with the ABL, you can't completely stop it.