Problems connecting PC to NAOMI Arcade Montior

For monitor related issues
Shadolf
eBay: 1984indigo

Problems connecting PC to NAOMI Arcade Montior

Post by Shadolf »

Hey,
I just tried the first time to connect my pc to the monitor in my NAOMI cab.
I used an DVI to VGA cable.
And surprise I got a picture, but terrible colours, flickering, multiple images of my desktop bbackground etc etc -==>horrible
Even played around with solutions.
What can I do to get a perfect picture for MAME etc? And please don´t tell me to get some old/special graficscard.
grantspain
Tech Head

Re: Problems connecting PC to NAOMI Arcade Montior

Post by grantspain »

naomi monitors were 31khz maximum-640 x 480
RMRM

Post by RMRM »

grantspain wrote:naomi monitors were 31khz maximum-640 x 480
If you use this resolution is just plug and play.

Try the refresh rate.
Shadolf

Post by Shadolf »

How can I set my Windows to 640x480 31khz?
I have done it yesterday, at least I have thougt so, but the screen showed me multiple desktops side by side somekind of squized/narrowed.
Like 3 or 4 Desktops with the same height but a very small with, side by side.

I connected my dramcast and it works.
The only problem here is that when I adjust the screen/picture, the right and left boarder isn´t staight.
I have some black "corners" in the lower corners of the screen.
Is my explanation understandable or should I try to make some pictures?
Can someone tell me how to place screenshots n pictures to my posts, please?
Shadolf

Post by Shadolf »

Is there already any Topic about connecting Arcade Monitors like mine to a Windows 7 PC.
I already have seen something, but no really solution. I need a software-solution.
How can I set my Windows up for Playing Emulators like MAME on my cab and afterwards return to my normal settings for my PC?
Best would be when I can use the Cab-Monitor as a second screen (extended desktop). So I can to my usual stuff at my PC and at the same time play MAME on my cab.

Please Please, someone give me a functioning good solution.
codecrank
Please Continue...

Post by codecrank »

Shadolf wrote:Is there already any Topic about connecting Arcade Monitors like mine to a Windows 7 PC.
I already have seen something, but no really solution. I need a software-solution.
How can I set my Windows up for Playing Emulators like MAME on my cab and afterwards return to my normal settings for my PC?
Best would be when I can use the Cab-Monitor as a second screen (extended desktop). So I can to my usual stuff at my PC and at the same time play MAME on my cab.

Please Please, someone give me a functioning good solution.

just setup your PC to always be in 640x480. you can use quickres if winbl0ws doesn't let you. mame will use your desktop resolution.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Vide ... -Res.shtml"
Shadolf

Post by Shadolf »

Thanks to everyone.
Got it, just extend the desktop to the Arcade-Screen and set the resolution for this screen to 640x480, True Color (32bit), 60Hz
Dache

Post by Dache »

Shadolf wrote:Thanks to everyone.
Got it, just extend the desktop to the Arcade-Screen and set the resolution for this screen to 640x480, True Color (32bit), 60Hz
Be careful doing that, some cards don't set the resolution on extended desktops properly. If I were you, I'd try and get it working displaying a single desktop at a fixed resolution at 640x480 at 60Hz, 32-bit colour. Should work without any hacks or tricks.
Shadolf

Post by Shadolf »

Thanks Dache,
what could happen, when my graphicscard does´t set the resolution properly? Can It do some damage to my monitor?
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

some monitors can handle a higher resolution for a time while others will blow the horizontal output transistor
Shadolf

Post by Shadolf »

I´ve play like this for some time yet. Do you think its a problem for my monitor, at least he had no problems till now.
I just see problems, when I switch my cab on before I boot my PC, the resolution there seems to be higher. Now I alwas switch on, wenn Windows is already booted.
Dache

Post by Dache »

grantspain wrote:some monitors can handle a higher resolution for a time while others will blow the horizontal output transistor
What's do 29E31S's tend to be like with this? Whenever the res gets changed to something odd, I always yank the VGA cable or power down the entire cab ASAP to prevent damage, and I always **** myself that I've broken the damn thing, even though it's fine afterwards. Do I need to be so worried or is the 29E31S more resilient than I assume?

What about lower resolutions btw? I've always assumed it causes damage too, but maybe I'm wrong?
Shadolf

Post by Shadolf »

I´ve used my monitor this way for some time now. Thankfully haven´d got any blown transistors till now.
What I observe some times is a very high frequent noise comming from the monitor. This doesn´t happen always, and I think it goes away after some time playing.
But I´m not really comfortable with this. I always have any fear to damage my monitor. But I don´t think it´s any different as when I would have build in a extra PC in my cab just for playing and use the cab monitor as the only monitor with the same settings (640x480 60Hz True Color) as now.

I´d love to hear more help/contribution/knowledge/experience.