Splicing up a new monitor question.

For monitor related issues
alphadog808
Please Continue...
Splicing up a new monitor question.

Post by alphadog808 »

Hey guys,
So I have a new chassis that I will be adding to my egret 29. As expected, the egret harness and chassis harness don't match. I believe I have the pinouts and just need to splice up the appropriate wire to wire as I don't have access to another matching molex or crimping tool.

My plan was to solder the wires together and shrink tube it. Maybe electrical tape over it after as well. Now, I figure that's no biggie for R,G,B, etc, but what about the 2 100V wires? Is that enough insulation to be safe? The egret is a metal cab so I'd like to keep the wiring safe.

Speaking of that, why does the chassis take 2 separate 100v inputs? Just wondering.

Any thoughts/recommendations on the right/safe way to do this?

BTW, the egret29 had a MS8-29FTB and I'm replacing it with a MS9-SU.

Thanks!
ikaruga007
eBay: dex511
Initials: PJN

Re: Splicing up a new monitor question.

Post by ikaruga007 »

Shrink wrap and electrical tape is fine for 100v. You should be able to find out the specs when buying it. Just NEVER try to splice the anode, obviously :)
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

one worry of what you have asked,
you asked why a ms9 has two 100vac inputs,it does not-it has one AC input for 90-120vac and it has a manual degauss connector
alphadog808
Please Continue...

Post by alphadog808 »

grantspain wrote:one worry of what you have asked,
you asked why a ms9 has two 100vac inputs,it does not-it has one AC input for 90-120vac and it has a manual degauss connector
Grant, now you got *me* worried! I really don't want to blow this monitor up! So, I'm going through what info I have and am posting it here hoping for confirmation.

So...here's the egret pinout. I snapshotted the area I'll be working with and have a link to the whole schem as well.
http://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/images/b/b2 ... iagram.pdf

here is the MS9 pinout

The egret(pins 1 and 3) look to be feeding 100v and if you look at the MS29 pinout, pins 6&7 want AC, so I *assumed* that they both wanted 100v AC?

My plan was this,

MS9 pin -> Egret pin
1 - 7
2 - 8
3 - 9
4 - 10
5 -12
6 - 1
7 - 3
8 - blank
9 - 4
10 - 6

I also assume pins 9-4 and 10-6 are interchangable as well. So I could go 9-6 and 10-4 if desired.

Am I right, or am I about to screw things up? Thanks in advance!
alphadog808
Please Continue...

Post by alphadog808 »

So, I got it working, looks great! The only thing I noticed is that the degauss(switch) doesn't do anything. I have pins 4 and 6 on the egret going to pins 9 and 10 on the MS9, so I *think* that's correct. Could it be that this chassis doesn't have degauss on it? Got the monitor used from another guy who got it used, so not sure if there have been mods to the monitor....