Naomi Sanwa Monitor Fault

For monitor related issues
ninjawyatt
Please Continue...
eBay: ninjawyatt

Naomi Sanwa Monitor Fault

Post by ninjawyatt »

Hi could somebody please advise me as to anything I could possibly repair/replace as apose to forking out for a new monitor. If you think the monitor has had it, then I guess I will have to buy one.

My cab is a Naomi Universal with Sanwa 29E31S monitor. I had completely stripped, cleaned and repainted the entire cab - apart from the monitor. I have no knowledge of monitors so I didnt want to take it apart. It also looked very fragile, so i did not attempt to clean it just incase it wouldnt work again.

My cab was completely rebuilt except for the side leg covers - The cab worked fine. I loosened off the lower control panel casing and main front facia to fit the leg covers. I tightened everything else back up, flicked the main power switch and this is what happened -

The top orange lamp came on as usual and the correct sounds could be heard from the speakers, such as the Naomi start up audio and the game its self, once it had loaded. Everything seemed to be fine except for the monitor. It displayed a thin vertical image straight down the centre of the screen when the machine was started up, I think it was the NAOMI image that appears on start up, but it was too thin to really recognise. A couple of noises could be heard from the monitor (possibly the rear) kind of like electrical buzzes or even an electricity arcing noise. The noises could be heard, but werent very loud and I probably heard it about 3 times in total. The image on the screen shrank quickly and disappeared completely within about 10 seconds of turning the machine on leaving a blank screen. I could also smell a burning smell that was getting stronger before I turned it off. The machine was probably only on for about 20 seconds in total.

I removed the rear monitor cover and had a look for anything obvious. Everything was plugged in, but all the circuitry was covered in black dust so it was difficult to really seen any intricacies. I turned the machine back on, this time the monitor did nothing, like it was switched off. I heard that same buzz/electric noise again, but only once this time. The burning smell returned and started to get stronger, so I turned it off again. I couldnt see any electricity arcing anywhere, but I obviously didnt stick my head too close as I dont really know what Im looking at anyway :problem:

Help please...
'You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance'
grantspain
Tech Head

Re: Naomi Sanwa Monitor Fault

Post by grantspain »

I reckon the lopt has fried
thechop
Not as old as Ralph

Post by thechop »

kernow wrote:
Cmon chop I wanna see your manly bricklayer arms.
ninjawyatt
Please Continue...

Post by ninjawyatt »

Nice one guys. Are they easy enough to fit?
thechop
Not as old as Ralph

Post by thechop »

kernow wrote:
ninjawyatt
Please Continue...

Post by ninjawyatt »

Damn £95, Ive already spent so much on my cab. Ive noticed you can get 2 types of monitor for the Naomi - The Sanwa and the Nanao, I was wondering if any produce a better picture than the other? What I mean by that is if I ended up buying a new monitor would I get a better picture than my sanwa if I replaced it with a Nanao?
thechop
Not as old as Ralph

Post by thechop »

ninjawyatt wrote:Damn £95, Ive already spent so much on my cab. Ive noticed you can get 2 types of monitor for the Naomi - The Sanwa and the Nanao, I was wondering if any produce a better picture than the other? What I mean by that is if I ended up buying a new monitor would I get a better picture than my sanwa if I replaced it with a Nanao?

You might well find a chassis cheaper with a wanted on here perhaps, or send Mo a message he might be in the festive spirit and knock a bit off through the forum.
Of course if it is the lopt but Grant knows his onions so there's a good chance it is.

Also if your tube a decent one( no burn in) you could just use this as an opportunity to buy a chassis to tri-sync it for 15/24/31k.
kernow wrote:
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

you can stick a rodotron 666a tri sync chassis on the sanwa 29es31s tube and they have always looked pretty good-thats going to cost about £150 though

the nanao chassis will not work on the sanwa tube as the horizontal yoke spec is different

£95 is not alot to spend on a replacement chassis-if it works

fitting a lopt is easy if you are half decent with a soldering iron and use solder braid or a high quality desoldering tool-thats of course if the fault is for sure the lopt.It could be a few things but lopt imo is most likely as the fault you described was horizontal collapse followed by a strong odour
Spectre
By Spectre
eBay: spectre-uk
Initials: JIM

Post by Spectre »

http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=21965

I believe the 666a being sold here will fit your tube. If you can confirm that it will, £80 shipped is a good price.
ninjawyatt
Please Continue...

Post by ninjawyatt »

Spectre wrote:http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=21965

I believe the 666a being sold here will fit your tube. If you can confirm that it will, £80 shipped is a good price.
How exactly would I confirm that? I know nothing of monitors...

You might well find a chassis cheaper with a wanted on here perhaps, or send Mo a message he might be in the festive spirit and knock a bit off through the forum.
Of course if it is the lopt but Grant knows his onions so there's a good chance it is.

Also if your tube a decent one( no burn in) you could just use this as an opportunity to buy a chassis to tri-sync it for 15/24/31k.[/quote]

My monitor does actually have a bit of screen burn... Maybe I should just wait it out till Ive got a more cash and buy a complete monitor/chassis.

What exactly are these Tri Sync chassis' anyway? Something from a newer/better spec cab?
thechop
Not as old as Ralph

Post by thechop »

Tri sync will do Jamma resolution 15k aswell as 24k (mainly sega model1/2/3) aswell as JVS/Naomi 31k so sorted for any event or games but if you only want it for Naomi and not any if the others 31k is fine.
kernow wrote:
Spectre
By Spectre
eBay: spectre-uk
Initials: JIM

Post by Spectre »

ninjawyatt wrote:How exactly would I confirm that? I know nothing of monitors...
Post a picture of the label(s) on your tube and one of the monitor boffins on here will no doubt be able to tell you ;)
My monitor does actually have a bit of screen burn... Maybe I should just wait it out till Ive got a more cash and buy a complete monitor/chassis.

What exactly are these Tri Sync chassis' anyway? Something from a newer/better spec cab?
Your original monitor is 31k high res only, a tri-sync chassis will allow your monitor to also do 15k (jamma) and 24k (sega model 2/3?). The trade off is some loss of quality, i.e. jack of all trades master of none.

Personally I think unless you're quite picky or a real videophile, the extra functionality is more than worth it. The 29E31S isn't a particularly great 31k monitor anyway so you're not losing much. But again, if your tube has some burn you might consider it not worth saving... I guess it's a question of £80 fix or £150+ replacement.
ninjawyatt
Please Continue...

Post by ninjawyatt »

Thanks for the intel guys. To fix or not to fix.. that is the question, I suppose I could just about afford £150 on a new monitor, but that would be breaking the bank... especially this time of year. As regard to the Tri-Sync, thats cool if you want to play multi type games on your cab, I will only want to Naomi games personally. Eventually I will probably buy other cab and dedicate that to Jamma.
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

£150 for a new monitor,tell me where those are and i will snap them all up
I think you will find £150 for a new chassis only-about £400 for a new monitor if you can find one
FrancoB
J+ member of the year finalist!
eBay: francosquashking
Initials: FRN

Post by FrancoB »

I've got a complete 29e31s monitor but the tube has ID burn. I can remove the chassis and you can have it for £30 + post if you want.
Rossyra
Supermod

Post by Rossyra »

Bargainorgasm.
ninjawyatt
Please Continue...

Post by ninjawyatt »

FrancoB wrote:I've got a complete 29e31s monitor but the tube has ID burn. I can remove the chassis and you can have it for £30 + post if you want.

Yes Please :D

Thats made my Christmas :awe:
moshpit
Fantasy Zone Finder
Initials: RON

Post by moshpit »

FrancoB wrote:I've got a complete 29e31s monitor but the tube has ID burn. I can remove the chassis and you can have it for £30 + post if you want.
I <3 this place :)
WARNING! A HUGE BATTLESHIP IS APPROACHING FAST!
FrancoB
J+ member of the year finalist!
eBay: francosquashking
Initials: FRN

Post by FrancoB »

No worries.

It's only sat taking up space, I'd rather see it put to good use :)

I'll see if I can strip it in the morning for you :whoopsie:
ninjawyatt
Please Continue...

Post by ninjawyatt »

FrancoB wrote:No worries.

It's only sat taking up space, I'd rather see it put to good use :)

I'll see if I can strip it in the morning for you :whoopsie:
It will hopefully bring my first and only cab back from the dead - So yes, its definately being put to good use! :D My Naomi is for life, not just for Christmas.