Blastcity monitor issue

For monitor related issues
penrhos
Panel Beater
eBay: ngpd002

Blastcity monitor issue

Post by penrhos »

OK - I've got a wierd problem - or I'm missing something.

It works fine in 15Khz or 31Khz on the VGA connector but if I feed it 15Khz through the JAMMA connector the picture wont sync and has a green cast.

Craig fixed the chassis when I got it (Meg's last KC order) and its been fine since then (but I've only had the Naomi in it running at 31Khz).

I've checked the obvious (incorrect dipswitch settings, loose wires) but now I'm stuck.

When I put a CPS2 board in the picture is compressed vertically with pronounced scanlines,sync-kink part way down screen and a green colour cast.
When I put an MV1 in the picture is about 3" tall and looks like I'm feeding in the wrong vertical sync rate.

Any ideas? Its the Tosh with manual sync & input selection on dipswitches. I need to get this sorted as I want to sell the cab fully working.
2 * Vewlix Diamond Blacks,2 * Vewlix-F, 1 * Sega Rally 3, 1 * Video Pinball, 1 * DinoKing (JAMMA Converted).
xlr8d
Please Continue...

Ot: Blastcity monitor issue

Post by xlr8d »

penrhos wrote:...as I want to sell the cab fully working.
you wanna sell? sell it to me! :D
Mr-Megalo
Please Continue...

Re: Blastcity monitor issue

Post by Mr-Megalo »

I think either your being a noob or having it sat in a garage for months not being used in whatever temperatures have taken its toll (although I can't see why as the chassis was "refreshed" aka dry solder joints were re-done) - I mainly used CPS2 boards to test all the cabs and that doesn't have a VGA output.
if it works in 15k via VGA then its not a sync module issue, check wiring from JAMMA loom > control board > monitor

how much of the 2 blasts have you ended up swapping round anyways ? I know your a **** for part swapping ;)
penrhos
Panel Beater

Post by penrhos »

TBH - the Blastcity hasn't been fired up for at least 3 months - thats why I'm thinking of selling it. The Neo-19 and Minicute get played with the most as they are in the house and have my favorite games installed (which look **** on a 29" screen as the characters are too big).

I've had the garage sealed up so I have a games room in one side - its unheated but within the house so is dry and above freezing. I have a delonghi dragon to warm it up before any gaming sessions.

As for the sync thing thats what I can't understand, it shouldn't be the chassis as its working fine on d-sub. I'll re-check the looms after new-year, its almost as if the ground or sync lines on the JAMMA side are damaged/shorting. the only parts swapped between the two machines were the CP's and monitor surround and I've fitted the Sega -001 JAMMA+Naomi loom, the rest of the cab was just cleaned.

With the Euro being soo strong against the pound at the moment it would be mega cheap for Euopean members - shipping would be expensive and would have to be arranged by the buyer (dont use the same company as KoolKolo as they smashed the marquee on his to bits).
2 * Vewlix Diamond Blacks,2 * Vewlix-F, 1 * Sega Rally 3, 1 * Video Pinball, 1 * DinoKing (JAMMA Converted).
penrhos
Panel Beater

Post by penrhos »

Fixed it.....

Tricky to track it down and a 5 minute job to fix. It was a cracked track on the PCB that bolts to the coinbox - the one which all the plugs fit into. I just soldered a wire bridge between pin 3 on the IDC connectors and hey presto it lives.

I had R, G, B & Sync but no ground.
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

good job mate
penrhos
Panel Beater

Post by penrhos »

DSCF4704.JPG
DSCF4705.JPG
DSCF4702.JPG
Mr-Megalo
Please Continue...

Post by Mr-Megalo »

Mr-Megalo wrote:I think either your being a noob or having it sat in a garage for months not being used in whatever temperatures have taken its toll (although I can't see why as the chassis was "refreshed" aka dry solder joints were re-done) - I mainly used CPS2 boards to test all the cabs and that doesn't have a VGA output.
if it works in 15k via VGA then its not a sync module issue, check wiring from JAMMA loom > control board > monitor

how much of the 2 blasts have you ended up swapping round anyways ? I know your a **** for part swapping ;)
you mean the control board, see thats why I agree with that guy who I quoted above, your a **** for part swapping!!
i'd hazzard a guess this cab is a **** of bits you got from the cab you got from me (which worked in its entirity) and bits from the one you got from Tone, didn't the cab you got from Tone have problems with 15k via JAMMA ?
penrhos
Panel Beater

Post by penrhos »

The cab I got from Tone had a faulty chassis and was sold with the faulty chassis, it was tested in the other cabs to confirm it was a chassis fault.

I only swapped the CP over because it was in better condition on the other cab - the rest was left alone - by the look of the PCB I must have damaged it when I stripped the cab down to clean it - I never inferred that the cab I got from you was faulty.
Mr-Megalo
Please Continue...

Post by Mr-Megalo »

i'm not saying you were ;) chill out bruv - i'm only pulling your leg because you **** around part swapping on like all of your cabs so far (or are the cute and neo now exceptions ? ) or did you not see the winky smiley ? ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
penrhos
Panel Beater

Post by penrhos »

Why not swap parts over if you have two cabs and the parts are interchangeable - I always try and get all my cabs as minty as possible. I would always make a cab as minty as possible even if that required swapping parts from another.

Plus if you do have a problem its a good method of elimination.

Its up for sale anyway as I dont use it enough - On the plus side I'm getting better at Metal Slug X & Galaxians.
markedkiller78
Pony fucker
eBay: markedkiller78
Initials: MAL

Post by markedkiller78 »

penrhos wrote:Why not swap parts over if you have two cabs and the parts are interchangeable - I always try and get all my cabs as minty as possible. I would always make a cab as minty as possible even if that required swapping parts from another.

Plus if you do have a problem its a good method of elimination.

Its up for sale anyway as I dont use it enough - On the plus side I'm getting better at Metal Slug X & Galaxians.
I always have that intention, 2x ID3 Singles, 2x New Astro, 2x Naomi….I never get round to it though. I am a lazy sod at times