What's the worst a monitor or game has bit 'ya?

For monitor related issues

Poll ended at December 2nd, 2008, 12:19 am

None at all. (What can I say? I don't touch ANYTHING remotely dangerous)
6%
Slight tingle
12%
Ouch.
47%
Hey, that left a mark!
24%
Blood
6%
Needed stitches
6%
Needed surgery or a transplant
No votes
I still can't remember the details....
No votes

Total votes: 17
poolchamp

Post by poolchamp »

Stories? Do tell!
Flazh

Re: What's the worst a monitor or game has bit 'ya?

Post by Flazh »

I've had a fair few bites off monitor cables & bad grounding, and there have been more than a few sharp edges on casings and cabinets.

Never had any capacitors discharge through me though 8-)
chubsta
I'm getting too old for this shit...
eBay: chubsta

Post by chubsta »

well ive had no real electric shocks but the day i got my astro i had to take it apart to get it through a door way - the back section had the monitor in it and when i turned around it fell over against the door frame with a huge bang. I was unhurt physically but by god did i feel sick. then when i put it all together the picture was just a thin line across the screen.

£470 quid down the drain, i could have cried - until i realised i hadnt plugged one of the leads back in and when i did all was fine :D

Emotional pain can hurt so much more than physical sometimes tho....
DandySephy
Please Continue...
Initials: SEP

Post by DandySephy »

Nothing cabinet related (not owned them long enough to have done any serious work on them :? ), but I've been known to shock myself on "chunky" ps2's easily, usually on the power supply and I've probably done it on a DC and Saturn or two.
John James Pacinelli
Loving SSFIV

Post by John James Pacinelli »

I was raped by my Astro.
Vagina
yosai
Windy City
eBay: yosai

Post by yosai »

The first time I removed a monitor chassis I got a lovely belt from the anode hole.

I followed all of the instructions up until the point it said 'repeat after 15 minutes'

:awe:
Chi
Fire Extinguisher
Initials: CHI

Post by Chi »

Never had anything more than a low-voltage shock (I'm totally paranoid about 'lectricity)... but I'm a sucker for cutting myself open on sharp edges of cabs/boards :{
"TO THE untrained eye Christian Cooper might have been stamping out a small fire " - The Times, 7th Feb, 2004
markedkiller78
Pony fucker
eBay: markedkiller78
Initials: MAL

Post by markedkiller78 »

Nothing as yet, but I’m sure it’s in the post as I have poked things, & pulled things whilst they are turned on :?
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

Worst I'd had is off a camera. It'd been dropped while the lens was extended, and it was now stuck extended. Took the thing apart, and while handling it I touched the points where the flash cap must've been connected. Which was on the back of the unit, and since it was such a shock I didn't see where I'd touched.

After another two zaps I figured out what I'd been touching and could avoid it. The scars have faded now but for a while I had a good vampire burn on my finger.

Good fun having your vision go blank for a few seconds :lol: Not quite sure how high that was - I read figures of 1000-4000v.

Used to regularly get pinched by cheap internal modems too (where they hadn't covered the telecoms part with plastic like proper approved stuff should be). 99% of the time forgot to unplug the line. PC off and unplugged from mains does not equal safe. Only 50v though.

Not had a mains bite yet :D
charlie chong

Post by charlie chong »

everytime i tate my aero city i usually end up with some part of my hand sliced.. nothing too bad yet tho. the electric heater i had next to my cab zapped me a few times cos the plug top kept falling off and i would reach to turn it off forgetting it was dodgy and end up sending the mains through me.. i did it twice before i threw it out :lol:
i'm always reaching in my cab when it's on to change discs etc in the consoles.. can i be zapped by any of the stuff on teh floor like the power supply etc :awe:
markedkiller78
Pony fucker

Post by markedkiller78 »

I find that I’ve got less “fear” of the cabs now, but that’s a bad thing as I’m more careless with where my hands go :?
Last edited by markedkiller78 on November 25th, 2008, 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
penrhos
Panel Beater
eBay: ngpd002

Post by penrhos »

I got thrown 6 feet across the garage and tripped all the power in the house working on a 28" hanterex. There was a loud bang & flash as I slipped with a normal screwdriver (un-insulated shaft) when setting up a chassis I'd just swapped over.

I had the correct trimming tools but they were in the shed and it was raining so just grabbed the nearest screwdriver.

Good job I had followed the one hand in pocket rule. Nice burning smell and scorchmarks on palm & back of right hand too.

Been zapped by a few switchmode PSU's with live heatsinks in past as well.

Wasn't the worst shock I've had - but is the worst cab related one.
2 * Vewlix Diamond Blacks,2 * Vewlix-F, 1 * Sega Rally 3, 1 * Video Pinball, 1 * DinoKing (JAMMA Converted).
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

slashed my wrist open due to pulling my arm away from a ht shock and thus putting my wrist through the tube neck,had to have stitches and just missed a main blood vessel-and you know my boss **** me for breaking the monitor

hanatrex psu,nasty little buggers-hold a big charge on the caps,real nasty-had a few of those

worst shock i ever had was when i repaired a big steam iron for my boss,i was checking some voltages when i got called away so i switched off the differencial circuit to make safe for others---when i returned i went back and pick up the two live wires and took a 230v straight across my chest,someone had switched the differencial back on :x
in that brief second i thought i was gonna die and my heart was doing a pogo whilst i started going into some kind of shock,i managed to calm myself down and felt better a few hours later
markedkiller78
Pony fucker

Post by markedkiller78 »

OK. i'm getting the fear back thanks to that story Grant.

Scary stuff :o
jonny5
Tremendous Woody

Post by jonny5 »

lets see.....ive slashed my fingers open tating the montior in my new astro...those little hand sized slits are where i grab...and if you arent careful or your hand slides at all...it will open you up pretty bad.....that was fun

havent gotten shocked by a cab yet thankfully

worst shock i got was back when i used to ummmm...how shall i put this.....grow 'stuff'

had a co2 tank near a mylar curtain and the power cord for it got a little tear in it....it was touching the curtain and when i brushed past i got a nice shock

a few minutes of looking around i found the cable in question....bent down to unplug it and my head touched the curtain.....it threw me about 6 feet(might have gone further but i hit a wall) and blinded me for about 10 seconds.....singed the hair on my head where it touched too

scary stuff.....especially when you are by yourself and obviously cant call the cops or paramedics

after that i switched to non-conductive materials for my curtains.... ;)

made me puke too....

good times
on the loose
penrhos
Panel Beater

Post by penrhos »

Mylar + CO2 + Electrics - sounds like a growroom to me....
2 * Vewlix Diamond Blacks,2 * Vewlix-F, 1 * Sega Rally 3, 1 * Video Pinball, 1 * DinoKing (JAMMA Converted).
footix
Please Continue...

Post by footix »

Zap from the CRT neck (while on obviously, wouldn't had been fun if it was off)
jonny5
Tremendous Woody

Post by jonny5 »

i have no idea what you are talking about :?

i meant tomatoes and lettuce ;)

i deny everything ;)
on the loose
penrhos
Panel Beater

Post by penrhos »

jonny5 wrote:i have no idea what you are talking about :?

i meant tomatoes and lettuce ;)

i deny everything ;)
Chilli peppers and orchids grow very well under HPS. ;)
jonny5
Tremendous Woody

Post by jonny5 »

indeed :roll:
on the loose