Monitor distortion problem

For monitor related issues
Chi
Fire Extinguisher
Initials: CHI

Monitor distortion problem

Post by Chi »

Hello chaps, it's me again!

I'm looking at buying a machine, but from pics I've seen, the monitor appears to have some serious geometry problems at the top of the screen...

The distortion is consistent on all screens. It's a Korean Dance Dance Revolution 3rd Mix (System 573-based), and I know those cabs aren't very well grounded, too.

Any off-the-cuff ideas as to what might cause this, and would it be fixable (or need a replacement chassis)? I don't mind getting a bit hands on (or replacing the chassis/monitor), but would rather be forearmed before deciding whether to get it or not! I'm a bit of a monitor noob, but willing to learn...
"TO THE untrained eye Christian Cooper might have been stamping out a small fire " - The Times, 7th Feb, 2004
grantspain
Tech Head

Re: Monitor distortion problem

Post by grantspain »

the horizontal hold needs a tweek mate
Chi
Fire Extinguisher

Post by Chi »

Oh, ok! That's not too bad :D

Cheers Grant!
"TO THE untrained eye Christian Cooper might have been stamping out a small fire " - The Times, 7th Feb, 2004
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

there is a 0.000001% chance that there is a leaky cap causing it but i very much doubt its more than a minor adjustment
Chi
Fire Extinguisher

Post by Chi »

No, that's cool - I'm up for taking the risk - I was just looking for general indications of what it is likely to be anyway - if it turns out to be something more serious, that's just too bad :p
Flazh

Post by Flazh »

Manage to find a decent one of these cabs around?
Chi
Fire Extinguisher

Post by Chi »

Not sure about decent, but it's a Korean machine with a non-bootleg 3rd Mix asian (from what I can tell using my super sleuth skills - I asked for a pic of the operator's controls and the attract screen to work out which machine and mix it was!) at an ok-ish price (not cheap seeing as it's a korean machine, but not super expensive either). A bit of rust damage, and all the screws on the stage will need replacing as they are corroded as **** (but screws are cheap - just gotta work out exactly which size they are). If the horizontal hold is all that is up with the monitor, then it looks in ok shape for such an old machine (the brightness and contrast are a bit high though!). It's local, too (well, will be - it's being shipped from the warehouse in Newcastle to the op who is about 20 miles away from me).

The plexi-panels are dirty as hell, though (looks like stickers have been put on them then removed, which is a bit odd!) - it's gonna need some cosmetic work (but I'm not too worried about that! It gives me something to do!). I'm gonna sleep on it before deciding!
Flazh

Post by Flazh »

Cool, well I guess if you are considering it, it must be at a good enough price :)

Did you already get a BIOS & Extreme from the US?
Chi
Fire Extinguisher

Post by Chi »

Well, I'll get change from £3K, but not a huge amount. At that price range, I'm not expecting a perfect machine, so long as it is salvageable. I highly expect that I'll need to re-jig and re-position the sensors in the stage (but am hoping the sensors themselves are mostly ok).

With regards to upgrades, I have a 4th Mix+ upgrade kit already, and there is a bootleg DDR Extreme upgrade floating around on the 'Net that will work on any mix *without* a bootleg kit (albeit with the options menu crashing) should I want it... from what I understand, the Asian mixes can't be upgraded with "real" upgrade kits (they were JP only), so if I want to stay legit I'll end up getting a replacement Sys573 board from the US/Japan... there's a few kicking around since the SuperNOVA upgrade came out.

Who knows, I might end up getting a DDR X upgrade kit (once it's released) if it is any good :p Might wait a while for the price to drop first... list price is Y348,000+tax :/
Flazh

Post by Flazh »

Is the hardware compatibility not fixed with a JP bios? Would have thought that there wouldn't be any significant hardware differences besides that.
Chi
Fire Extinguisher

Post by Chi »

I don't know... very possibly. I don't know much about non-JP System 573 digital, tbh (like: exactly where does the region protection bit live?)