Nanao MS-2931 no video, dead?

For monitor related issues
OtokonoZenyou
Please Continue...
eBay: hayato3d
Initials: ALK

Nanao MS-2931 no video, dead?

Post by OtokonoZenyou »

So, the MS-2931 in my Blast City died (I think), a few days ago. Was playing it, Naomi 2 decided to say it's IO was loose, as sensitive as it usually is. Not thinking and rushing to my work, I turned it off with the switch under the control panel, quickly re-assured it was in place and turned it back on. Nothing, no video. Now, my monitor had done this before. Sometimes if you didn't wait long enough from turning it back on from switching off the monitor wouldn't fire up. So, I would just give it like 5-10 mins, turn it on again, and everything would be fine. The only other problems I ever had out of it was that sometimes when playing (rather rare) it would act like I pressed degauss or something. A quick little flicker in video. Anyways, now it won't come on at all anymore, I left it for 24 hours off with nothing.

So, I checked the fuses in the MS-2931, both good. I then looked to see if it was glowing at all, and it does have a faint red flow from the very end of the yoke near the board (hope I described that right, working on these is new to me). So...from what I read I assumed perhaps the auto-sync wasn't working. Normally I run my Naomi 2 in there, which is 31khz. So, I hooked up my Sega ST-V which is 15khz, and turned it on. Nothing, but now there was a faint buzz, like that buzz you here from CRTs at times is only way I can describe it. Besides that, does what it usually does.

When I turn on the monitor, I hear a click, and then about 5 seconds later, another click. Thats all I get. Degauss button is still working. One time turning on the monitor in 31khz i got a flash of light for about 1 second as soon as it turned on when looking inside it, but that hasn't happened again, could have just been degauss going off. Also, in 15khz once when switching it off with the front power switch, I got what looked like vertical collapse when I turned it on again. I haven't been able to reproduce that again either.

I also tried turning the Screen+ pot up on the flyback, with no results.

At this point all I know to do is to short the hsync and vsync together (not sure how to do this, which pins on the jamma connector?) and to just discharge it and see if it pops. Besides those two things I haven't tired I'm completely lost. Any help is appreciated! Would love to get this monitor working again.