Smoking Sanwa PFX?

For monitor related issues
Shinsengumi

Smoking Sanwa PFX?

Post by Shinsengumi »

I was playing some Mushihimesama on my Sanwa PFX that I installed a couple months ago in my Blast City when all of a sudden a small amount of smoke started to come out of the top of the monitor bezel and then the screen collapsed into a horizontal bar and then into a simple white dot in the center of the screen. Anyone have any idea what might have happened?

Thx!
grantspain
Tech Head

Re: Smoking Sanwa PFX?

Post by grantspain »

sounds like the flyback has failed
Shinsengumi

Post by Shinsengumi »

So where should I go from here? Is that fixable? Or am I looking at having to get a new chassis?
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

wells you takes your risk,it could be something else but tbh it sounds like flyback failure
you would need a new flyback and the skills to solder/replace the old one

of course another possibility is the yoke has completely fried-but thats unlikely
thchardcore

Post by thchardcore »

This is the 3rd time I have heard of this happening. Seems the PFXs that ebay seller had where junky.
15khz upscaled is cheating
Chi
Fire Extinguisher
Initials: CHI

Post by Chi »

I'm less than impressed with the build quality of the newer PFXs in general.

My one has a total inability to sync with composite sync signals, and even more than this, if it is fed a signal it can't handle it more often than not it will screech (and if you leave it like this you'll smell burning and see smoke) rather than shutting down and warning that the signal is out of range.
"TO THE untrained eye Christian Cooper might have been stamping out a small fire " - The Times, 7th Feb, 2004
bahamut

Post by bahamut »

Mine died after 10 hours too.
Flyback are impossible to find unfortunately... :|
thchardcore

Post by thchardcore »

PFX picture is amazing, but that sucks they are inconsistent in quality control/design.
15khz upscaled is cheating
andygeezer
Blue Skies Ahead
Initials: AGS

Post by andygeezer »

Sanwa, Rodotron, Wei-ya monitors are not consumer grade stock.. They are designed for one purpose only, to be as cheap as possible, certainly not suitable for people who expect professional retail product - i.e perfect colours, geometry and such.

The home user is not to be confused with the arcade operator, these are two different entitys, one wants everything to be spot-on, the other just wants the thing to work and make money!

The last decent monitor was the Toshiba PF monitor - this is in my eyes consumer grade stock - I've owned 3 from new, and all are 100% running to this day, all have perfect geometry, all have perfect convergence and colours. Even Mo @ Videotronics will testify that he has never seen such a good monitor (infact he has asked me on numerous times for these - he'd buy cabinets just for those monitors).

Sadly a lot of the spares are now out sourced to china or taiwan (till India is ready to overtake), look at all those PSU etc, all cheaply made, it's getting to the stage where your lucky to get 12months use out of any "new" arcade electrical replacement, built for cheap, but overal will cost more.. You'll never get these monitors lasting like the old work horse Nanao's, I've seen Nanao's from 1986 still working 100%, 24 years of work - impressive.
Say hello to my little friend...
goatboy
eBay: henknieborg

Post by goatboy »

Hmmm, Scary. Almost keeps me from buying a NOS PFX if i found one. I'm saying that now but when one pops up i'll be probably all over it. :) And yes Andy, I would also buy a cab just for a Tosh PF!! :awe: I'm looking for quite a while now for a tri-sync solution for my Nety City but i think i'll probably go for the good old Nanao way and tri-sync it myself.
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

i cannot believe that the flybacks for pfx are not available as they are such a recent product,anyone got the flyback number for me to check?
FrancoB
J+ member of the year finalist!
eBay: francosquashking
Initials: FRN

Post by FrancoB »

G840-P02A 7A25E is printed on the number on the back of mine, not sure if thats what you are after though :?
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

i don't think thats the number
FrancoB
J+ member of the year finalist!
eBay: francosquashking
Initials: FRN

Post by FrancoB »

How about:

FUH30A001
REV.0
BUGANG 071101A
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

i think thats the number,just found FUH29A001 online
Shinsengumi

Post by Shinsengumi »

So this may be a dumb question then... Will the FUH29A001 flyback work on a PFX? My blown flyback is labeled FUH30A001 like above... :(

Thx!
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

Shinsengumi wrote:So this may be a dumb question then... Will the FUH29A001 flyback work on a PFX? My blown flyback is labeled FUH30A001 like above... :(

Thx!
that i do not know without looking at the schematic diagram-of which i do not have
monouchi
Polishing his shaft
eBay: monouchi_jn
Initials: BUS

Post by monouchi »

When we are talking about the Tosh PF, does that mean the Tri-sync Nanao MS-2931 ?
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

monouchi wrote:When we are talking about the Tosh PF, does that mean the Tri-sync Nanao MS-2931 ?
no different