Monitor Swap - help needed :)

For monitor related issues
tetsujin
Hello, I say
eBay: kukki_86
Initials: AC.

Monitor Swap - help needed :)

Post by tetsujin »

Right, I am willing to admit when I am out of my depth and with monitors and electric shocks is where my talent runs right out!:D

Anyway.

I have a OK Baby cab with a working monitor. This monitor is on a metal frame (similar to the style sega monitors are) and I want to get thais fram off and put a NEW monitor and chassis in its place as this curent monitor has a bad picture.

So whats my steps to swapping the monitor from the frame and then adding the other monitor?? What can and cant I do? What can and cant I touch??

Im not worried about hooking it up just yet more the swap over.

Cheers
Adam :)
LOL Cats... stupid cats
EclipseEye

Re: Monitor Swap - help needed :)

Post by EclipseEye »

Adam

Just discharge the monitor first then all you're worries are gone, if you dont have a discharge probe you are welcome to loan mine. You know where I am.

Nad
JoeTeach
Please Continue...

Post by JoeTeach »

Thread resurrection!

Well it's the same cab in question, I have a spare monitor to go in it that I also got from Adam. It's a Brunswick one - from the Insert Coin show I think? I have no clue what I am doing, which is why it's not been swapped yet - now I've spent time cleaning the cab up I think I'd play on it more with a better screen.

I did manage to rotate the monitor a while back but a whole swap is daunting. Also don't want to blow myself up :)
Korszca
Assistant Librarian

Post by Korszca »

JoeTeach wrote:Thread resurrection!

Well it's the same cab in question, I have a spare monitor to go in it that I also got from Adam. It's a Brunswick one - from the Insert Coin show I think? I have no clue what I am doing, which is why it's not been swapped yet - now I've spent time cleaning the cab up I think I'd play on it more with a better screen.

I did manage to rotate the monitor a while back but a whole swap is daunting. Also don't want to blow myself up :)
To swap a monitor:
1. Power off machine and remove power cord.
2. Discharge monitor.
3. Unplug everything from the monitor.
4. Unbolt monitor from cab.
5. Most of these monitors pull straight out from the cab. I'm not 100% sure with the OK Baby, but that would be my guess. If not, you could always just disassemble the cab. I like to take the CP off the cab when I pull a monitor out so I don't crack the CP but it should not strictly be necessary.
Do this in reverse to install new monitor.

HTH
JoeTeach
Please Continue...

Post by JoeTeach »

That's great thanks, it does lift out when unbolted - it's the stage of discharging the monitor (I assume I'd have to do this for each monitor?) - I'm not sure how I'd go about doing this safely.
davewellington
The Librarian
Initials: DAV

Post by davewellington »

all your wiki pages belong to me
Buttonbasher
Please Continue...
eBay: Arcadejammaman
Initials: SPN

Post by Buttonbasher »

I swapped my sanwa monitor out my naomi for one of the monitors from IC09,thanks Franco. As long as you are careful its an easy swap and i didnt discharge the monitor!
virtvic
eBay: virtvic
Initials: VAC

Post by virtvic »

It all depends if the monitor is already in a frame with the chassis attached. If it is, it's easy peasy.

Otherwise - ALWAYS discharge it. Twice even, with a few minutes in between - just to be safe.
Buttonbasher
Please Continue...
eBay: Arcadejammaman
Initials: SPN

Post by Buttonbasher »

My Brunswick monitor wasnt in a frame and i used the one from my sanwa without discharging either!

I agree its best to do as others have said but i was careful and had no probs
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

the only time it's advisable to discharge the anode is when removing the chassis from the crt-if you are swapping over a complete monitor it really is not necessary
most important when swapping monitors is to make sure you disconnect all the cables from the cab to the monitor including earths and double check the depth of the crt compared to one you install,also check the size of the neck card-some cabs have restricted enclosures for the tubes
cabs like egret 3 you will need to discharge and disconnect chassis as they are not in a frame with the crt

when reinstalling a crt or monitor,if its a large crt,make sure you have help and make sure the cab can't move-i remember swapping out a naomi monitor once and when i went to put the new one in the cab started to go backwards,i had no choice but to follow it and ended up mashing up my arm in the process
davewellington
The Librarian
Initials: DAV

Post by davewellington »

Now on the wiki :) (feel free to edit/correct/expand!)
all your wiki pages belong to me
Korszca
Assistant Librarian

Post by Korszca »

davewellington wrote:Now on the wiki :) (feel free to edit/correct/expand!)
Boy that wording looks awfully familiar :awe: