Monitor is warped inward/distorted on the left side

For monitor related issues
DJ Long Cat

Monitor is warped inward/distorted on the left side

Post by DJ Long Cat »

I know this is a common problem with monitors but my new machine is the first to come across this so I wanna know if there is anything I can do to easily fix it.

Also its kinda distorted to the lower left.

Thanks
cRacKh0rN
Custom rank pending return
eBay: thecrunchieone
Initials: DAB

Re: Monitor is warped inward/distorted on the left side

Post by cRacKh0rN »

Hey there.

There are a few great monitor guys on here who know there stuff, but it really helps to have specifics about the monitor.
Could you state what the cab is and possibly take a look at the monitor frame for a model number?
DJ Long Cat

Post by DJ Long Cat »

I can't really get into the back without taking out the monitor which I really don't want to do unless I really have to.

Its US Die hard cabinet if that helps.
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

you need to id the monitor,look for a pincushion and trapezoid adjustment
bitkid

Post by bitkid »

I have a similar issue on my monitor. Mine is the Nanao monitor in a New Astro City cab (MS9?)
I have tried adjusting every pot on the chassis and the remote board but for some reason the top corners always seem warped inward.
The monitor is currently in TATE right now and I have uploaded a couple pics showing what I am seeing.

Asking around on IRC I was told that Grant is the person to ask about anything monitor related.
So far no amount of tweaking has completely eliminated the issue. I spent about an hour and a half tonight with a tiny screwdriver trying to figure this one out.

Thanks for any assistance.
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

adjust the vertical and horizontal size first to see if it affects the distortion
bitkid

Post by bitkid »

I tried adjusting the size controls but no matter how much I tweak it always seems like the top two corners (top as in if the monitor was in 4:3 orientation) always seem to bend inward. Geometry controls don't help it either.
The effect is as if the picture is wrapped around a cylinder slightly so that one side appears to pop out more than the other, but just slightly. The distortion is worse at the corners as I mentioned.
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

probably a leaky capacitor on the vertical deflection circuit-could not say what one though
check things like side pin cushion work
bitkid

Post by bitkid »

All of the monitor's controls do work. I managed to adjust it a little better tonight but there's still some distortion. I noticed that by increasing the brightness/contrast it straightens the picture out a bit, but its a fine line between way too bright and way too distorted. I also noticed that after the monitor has warmed up for a little while it gets somewhat better. Is that common?
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

bitkid wrote:All of the monitor's controls do work. I managed to adjust it a little better tonight but there's still some distortion. I noticed that by increasing the brightness/contrast it straightens the picture out a bit, but its a fine line between way too bright and way too distorted. I also noticed that after the monitor has warmed up for a little while it gets somewhat better. Is that common?
everything you have described points towards electrolitic capacitor failure-its very common on monitors