Problems with Blast City monitor

For monitor related issues
Pilgrim_Pramsta
eBay: pilgrim_pramsta
Initials: JON

Problems with Blast City monitor

Post by Pilgrim_Pramsta »

Just got around to testing the cabinet I got from Tone's last order (yeah I know it was ages ago but it's been stored at my parents place). The marquee lights up, there is power going to the PCB and when I turn the volume up I can hear the static from the speakers but there is no picture. Have checked the connections and it's auto-sync. When I switch off there is a momentary flash on the monitor (a bright white solid square in the middle of the screen) but nothing else.

Anyone got any ideas what is wrong, ort what I need to do? Thanks.
grantspain
Tech Head

Re: Problems with Blast City monitor

Post by grantspain »

sounds like the +5 power supply voltage is missing,do you have a multimeter?
if so check between ground(jamma pin 1&2) and +5 (jamma pin 3&4) with the multimeter set to dc volts range 20v
Mr-Megalo
Please Continue...

Post by Mr-Megalo »

Jon,

are BOTH your Blasts MS29-31's ?
the one you got from me was, the one you from Tone, does it have the same remote board under the CP ?
Pilgrim_Pramsta

Mark - looks like the same remote board to me off the top of my head. The second Blast has a Toshiba monitor and a Nanao chassis (I think!).

Can take pics if this helps.
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

ahh,i wonder if you have lost the settings
you need to hold down 2 of the buttons for 10 secs and you should access a on screen menu
Pilgrim_Pramsta

Grant - just checked and am getting 5.14V reading on the multimeter.
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

Pilgrim_Pramsta wrote:Grant - just checked and am getting 5.14V reading on the multimeter.
well thats all good then

the flash from the screen usually means the monitor is running,try that button thing i mentioned
Pilgrim_Pramsta

Excuse my ignorance but do you mean the 'Test', 'Service' and 'Demag' buttons, or the "fire" buttons on the control panel. Do I need to hold them down before I power up, or any time after?

I have just tried all options, but nothing seems to be happening!
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

its the buttons on the monitor remote board,thats if it is a nanao 2931
Pilgrim_Pramsta

OK you lost me! Is that under the control panel or do i have to open up the back of the machine?

The controls for the 'H' and 'V' size and position are twist nobs as opposed to buttons (which I think I have on my other Blast). Sorry for being so obscure and stupid but the machines are at opposite ends of the country and I'm home for two days and just desperate to work out what's going wrong!
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

it should be under the cp panel and it should have 3 push buttons(i think)
Mr-Megalo
Please Continue...

Post by Mr-Megalo »

twisty knobs on remote board = MS29-30 this monitor does NOT auto switch resolutions

when you have the cab powered, hit demag, if it makes a demag noise at least you know the monitor itself is powered
word of warning, inputting the wrong frequency into the wrong input (ie 31k up the amp connector, or 15k up the VGA) can cause irrepairable damage to the chassis sync circuits on the 29-30 and you MUST have the dips on the remote board set correctly (dips which you cant see when the remote board is fastened into place)
good news is AFAIK you can run an MS29-31A chassis on the 29-30 tube
markedkiller78
Pony fucker
eBay: markedkiller78
Initials: MAL

Post by markedkiller78 »

Mr-Megalo wrote: word of warning, inputting the wrong frequency into the wrong input (ie 31k up the amp connector, or 15k up the VGA) can cause irrepairable damage to the chassis sync circuits on the 29-30 and you MUST have the dips on the remote board set correctly (dips which you cant see when the remote board is fastened into place)
good news is AFAIK you can run an MS29-31A chassis on the 29-30 tube
Eeek, that's a bit scary.

Is the one I'm getting ok to feed with 15k/31k without killing it?
Pilgrim_Pramsta

Well when I hit the 'Demag' button I can hear a clicking noise so if that's what you mean then ok. I think I'm going to leave it alone in case I do some serious damage! I'm not even remotely qualified to mess around with this stuff.

Is this something an electrical engineer could come out and investigate?
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

id the monitor correctly first,it may be a simple problem-if not then a professional jobby for someone like craig
Pilgrim_Pramsta

OK well I'm off back to London tmrw so haven't time to look into it. Guess it will have to sit and wait until I return!

Thanks for all your help guys. Until the next time!
Pilgrim_Pramsta

Grant - I took a pic of the sticker on the monitor through the back of the machine - would this allow a positive id?

MrMeg - do you have the dip settings? I did a quick internet search but couldn't find anything.

Thanks.
Mr-Megalo
Please Continue...

Post by Mr-Megalo »

dip settings should be on a sticker under your CP near the demag buttons and whatnot showing dip settings, unless of course the monitor has been swapped from an MS29-31 to an MS29-30 - in which case the sticker will differ IIRC

MS29-30 chassis, looks like an MS9 but with some extra pixie dust and magical trickery to do 31k incase Grants not seen one before
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

Mr-Megalo wrote:dip settings should be on a sticker under your CP near the demag buttons and whatnot showing dip settings, unless of course the monitor has been swapped from an MS29-31 to an MS29-30 - in which case the sticker will differ IIRC

MS29-30 chassis, looks like an MS9 but with some extra pixie dust and magical trickery to do 31k incase Grants not seen one before
i have only ever once seen a ms29-31 and never seen a 29-30 :?
Mr-Megalo
Please Continue...

Post by Mr-Megalo »

okay so after looking at Jon's pics
either he has a **** cab or he has a Nanao I've not seen before
the remote board looks like the one from an MS29-30, however, it could be an MS29-32 as I can't see the dips on the remote board
the chassis looks like an MS29-32
put it this way, if it is an MS29-31 then its not the same as the MS29-31's i've dealt with though thats for sure

anyone got any pics of the MS29-32 chassis at all ? I dont have one to compare it with, but the row of pots on the chassis are saying to me "thats an MS29-32 31k only chassis"
it looks to me like the MS29-30/29-31 tube (different curve to the MS29-32 and MS9 series - same curve as Sanwa or some of the Hitachi tubes and Toshiba tubes used in the Windy's) but it for some reasons reminds me of an MS29-32 chassis looking at it, which is 31k only!!

Tone's last order was a bit bizzarre, New Astro's with MS8's, Astro 1st gens with MS9's and Blasts with a potential MS29-32
looks like the supplier may have done some monitor swapping

edit to say
before anyone gets there knickers in a twist and starts saying that fingers are being pointed or someone is slagging off someone else and tittle tattle blah blah blah, read the post properly, there are no derogatory comments and bare in mind, we had similar issues with cabs having monitor chassis's that should't have been fitted to a specific cab, cab order = risky business - you get what they send