Re: horizontal width coil, and other odd issues

Post by grantspain »

no schematics available plus do not have a deflection yoke for these
matt5cott
eBay: matt5cott
Initials: MAT

Post by matt5cott »

Issues remain and nobody is willing to work on it, got this 8 years ago from Wurstkopp and it's never worked properly, not sure what to do with it now tbh. :eh:
ImageImageImage
matt5cott

Post by matt5cott »

Update time, last year was mostly a write off due to illness but I'm slowly getting back to normal, anyway a brand new power supply was put in, so that's,

- Monitor re-cap
- Brand new power supply

Same issues remain, what else can I try? :wtf: I can solder confidently now (couldn't when I originally posted) so I may pull the chassis and see if any of the caps have been missed I guess, but iirc they've all been done :wtf:

My next steps!

- Grab an ESR meter and check the caps, replace if required, if so moan to person who I paid to change them :lol:
- If it's still goosed even after that find a different chassis that will work with the Toshiba A59JMZ90X (I believe TC-RM25T works as well as the TC-HV25LMK this one came with)
ImageImageImage
matt5cott

Post by matt5cott »

Update!

Caps seem fine, I had a lead on a chassis I could buy but it had already sold, unperturbed I started swapping out ICs on this board, 3 of the video ICs swapped out so far and it still looks pretty similar to the beginning of this story, that's life eh :shifty:

2019 (colours/brightness are all turned way down compared to 2010 pic)

The jailbarring is still there, it doesn't seem as bad though, also there's still a slight bit of interference on the screen as well as pumping/blooming*, so given I've swapped the PSU and the caps, I'm going to start swapping out the power ICs.

Also https://www.arcadepartsandrepair.com/st ... -nichicon/ there's a proper cap kit for this now, so I've purchased that, it says it comes with "Great instructions" worth the money if it highlights something I've missed!

If no joy from all of this, flyback I guess :problem: or https://www.arcadesolution.com/self-help/blooming/

* https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?t=517668 suggests pumping/blooming is from a poo setup with rubbish high voltage regulation, the screen itself is a Toshiba A59JMZ90X so hopefully it's not just down to that "being rubbish" :eh:
ImageImageImage
matt5cott

Post by matt5cott »

8 years, 10 months and 3 days after the OP...

(colours brightness still remain V low for testing)

GOODBYE JAILBARS.

Couple of iffy joints I spotted then re-soldered (it only became apparent when I moved the ICs) alas the image still pumps and there's still a little roll interference, but a step in the right direction.
ImageImageImage
matt5cott

Post by matt5cott »

Looks like the final jailbar issue was due to grounding, the line was grounded but I put another ground on the same line in order to discharge the monitor and it disappeared, so now I'm going to go through the cab and double ground everything if I have to!
ImageImageImage
radiantsvgun
Please Continue...
eBay: Radiantsvgun
Initials: RIC

Post by radiantsvgun »

Careful with these toeis, a lot of time the image stuttering/ shaking is the flyback going.

I have a toei TC-RM25S, and I had a lot of the same issues other than jailbars. Even after a recap the problems persisted. I ended up changing the flyback and almost all the issues finally disappeared.

There is almost no info on Toei's either. Its a shame since they have a really nice picture.
matt5cott

Post by matt5cott »

radiantsvgun wrote: April 30th, 2019, 1:31 am Careful with these toeis, a lot of time the image stuttering/ shaking is the flyback going.

I have a toei TC-RM25S, and I had a lot of the same issues other than jailbars. Even after a recap the problems persisted. I ended up changing the flyback and almost all the issues finally disappeared.

There is almost no info on Toei's either. Its a shame since they have a really nice picture.
Thanks for the tip 8-) I'm going to ground everything up again, change a few more ICs just incase then look at changing the flyback, which I have no doubt will be a massive pain as the chassis model I have seems to be a not very common toei
:mad:

Edit - this might work I guess https://www.arcadepartsandrepair.com/st ... j-flyback/
ImageImageImage
radiantsvgun
Please Continue...
eBay: Radiantsvgun
Initials: RIC

Post by radiantsvgun »

matt5cott wrote: April 30th, 2019, 10:09 pm
radiantsvgun wrote: April 30th, 2019, 1:31 am Careful with these toeis, a lot of time the image stuttering/ shaking is the flyback going.

Thanks for the tip 8-) I'm going to ground everything up again, change a few more ICs just incase then look at changing the flyback, which I have no doubt will be a massive pain as the chassis model I have seems to be a not very common toei
:mad:

Edit - this might work I guess https://www.arcadepartsandrepair.com/st ... j-flyback/
That is the one I used. Was surprised that it worked.
matt5cott

Post by matt5cott »

Cheers for your help radiantsvgun 8-)

The grounding issues now seem sorted, so the bars and minor roll appear gone, what's left is the screen not adjusting enough on the H.WIDTH as per the original posts, with that said I need to fiddle with some of the cables as one must jump between a generic wide/narrow setting (now I think about it, it's probably a red cable that plugs into 1 of 2 places I spotted not too far from the H.SIZE, this might be enough.)

(H.WIDTH/ferrite core threads,
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=31235&p=431176&
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=36966&)

There are some definite focus issues in the top right as the image is a little soft, I'd noticed before but it's more obvious now the others issues are being ticked off, the screen still pumps/bounces on a bright background so a flyback swap is next up, fingers crossed this as per what radiantsvgun said previously resolves the issues. I've emailed arcadepartsandrepair to see if they have any idea if their toei flyback is compatible with my TOEI TC-HV25LMK, I don't expect them to know really and I'll guess I'll just have to try it, but it's worth asking! *edit Peter Mortel replied, he says it's only tested on those models, so screw it I'll order and try :shifty:

With all this said, it's significantly more usable now than it's ever been, I played Metal Slug 3 last night for 45 minutes and it actually looked great, so progress is being made and I at least get to use it for a couple of weeks now whilst I wait on parts :)

edit - oh yes, still need to check the voltages coming out the PSU.
ImageImageImage
matt5cott

Post by matt5cott »

I thought the oversized screen might have been a simple case of the it being jumped to wide instead of normal/narrow, alas it's already on N :eh:
I found this mind, "H.CENT CN702"
I've a feeling this will rotate the image though, I'll tinker with it once I've done the following...

Flyback has now arrived and visually (although being shorter on top) seems to match up correctly to the PCB so this is encouraging :)

Whilst removing the chassis I noticed a stray brown wire dangling :problem: the only plausible place it can plug into is the degauss switch (it has 3 poles on it and 1 is empty) which is odd as the degauss did seem to be working OK prior :problem:
ImageImageImage
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

The brown wire doesn't go to the degauss switch. The third pole of the switch is supposed to be empty. You need to find out where the other end of the wire connects to before making guesses on what the wire is for.

As for the screen pumping on bright images, more than likely that's just the way the screen behaves. It's a characteristic trait of old CRTs. I have a bunch of MS8s and they all behave like that.

Personally I wouldn't swap the original working flyback for a possibly poor quality Chinese replacement.
matt5cott

Post by matt5cott »

nem wrote: May 17th, 2019, 4:43 pm The brown wire doesn't go to the degauss switch. The third pole of the switch is supposed to be empty. You need to find out where the other end of the wire connects to before making guesses on what the wire is for.

As for the screen pumping on bright images, more than likely that's just the way the screen behaves. It's a characteristic trait of old CRTs. I have a bunch of MS8s and they all behave like that.

Personally I wouldn't swap the original working flyback for a possibly poor quality Chinese replacement.
Thanks nem 8-) I'll have a good dig round to see where it's supposed to go, chances are it's been like that for a while but thanks for confirming it doesn't go on the degauss! Appreciated! :awe:

Regarding the flyback I completely agree on Japanese VS Chinese components but needs must, if I swap them out and it dramatically improves the picture then great, if it doesn't I'll swap them back.
ImageImageImage
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

The problem is that you don't know for certain if the flyback is compatible. An incompatible flyback can damage other components on the chassis. The horseshoe layout of the pins is common. It unfortunately doesn't mean that the specs match.
matt5cott

Post by matt5cott »

nem wrote: May 18th, 2019, 2:56 pm The problem is that you don't know for certain if the flyback is compatible. An incompatible flyback can damage other components on the chassis. The horseshoe layout of the pins is common. It unfortunately doesn't mean that the specs match.
Well either way they can update their sales page compatibility list :lol:

If the bounce/pump was trivial I wouldn't mind but it's pretty extreme, this coupled with some focus issues for me makes it worth trying.

I also traced that cable back and worked out that cable was "service" and is directly connected by another cable on the MVS harness, so is supposed to just do nothing, again my thanks for highlighting it's not supposed to go on degauss, there was a chance I'd have not bothered and just wired it up!
ImageImageImage
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

Short video of the KOF2003 intro running on a MS8. Look at the credit text in the bottom right. Is your monitor worse than this?
matt5cott

Post by matt5cott »

Yes unfortunately, there's an old video here, the "credit 00" will go entirely off the screen when it's a very bright background.
ImageImageImage
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

I don't see any difference. I admit the video I posted wasn't great, but if you look at the very last second of the video you can see the credit text going under the edge of the screen when Tizoc appears -- exactly like your monitor on a bright white background.

If you turn down contrast and brightness the effect is slightly less pronounced, but other than that, I don't think there's any fix for it.
matt5cott

Post by matt5cott »

Tried the new flyback, the anode cap doesn't seem to plug in quite as easily and doesn't feel quite as flush (had a few attempts at re-seating it) Anyway fired it up and it's just making a loud pitched whine, doesn't seem to even fire up and play blind, tried to video it but the noise is being filtered by the camera I think as you can't hear anything! :lol:
ImageImageImage
matt5cott

Post by matt5cott »

The saga continues, OK so today I thought to myself I'll put the original flyback in and hopefully it works, if so I'll just live with it as is and enjoy it for a few months before I bother to do anything else, well...
It was filthy so I cleaned it up a bit as it kept getting black on my fingers, GOOD JOB I DID! Lo and behold a previously thought white sticker turns out to have ultra faint printing on it, is this a model number? Upon searching, why yes it is!

It's a Y261751 flyback and one place seems to offer them http://www.technotronic-dimensions.com/Products2c.html

Hopefully I can get an order sorted 8-) In the meantime the old flyback does indeed work 8-)
ImageImageImage