Nanao MS9-29A Video Interference

For monitor related issues
zed7
Please Continue...
eBay: zed7-82
Initials: zed

Nanao MS9-29A Video Interference

Post by zed7 »

Hello everyone, I'm quite lost on how to fix this predicament. I have got some sort of interference in the picture for this monitor, and I've been struggling to figure out what it is.

Here's a video of said interference.

What I've done: cap kit, minus 3 of the 100uf 35v capacitors, as I did not have them. This includes the filter.
Replaced the HOT

What I've looked into:
Confirm the PSU GND and Video GND are connected - they are via game PCBs.
Sync trace is intact, but solder mask is damaged. Continuity check between solder joints measured ~0.8-1.0 ohms.
Chassis should not be connected to earth ground as the New Astro City diagram does not call for E.G. to the frame of the monitor.
I am not using an isolation transformer.
I have not done the G1 voltage mod (yet), so there is a jumper connecting the G1 to ground. Read more about it here.
B+ is a perfect 76v.

There may be other things I may be forgetting, but I hope that helps with finding out my issue. The next steps I am about to take (when I can) is installing those last three caps, and then scoping the PSU circuit.

Thank you for any help!
Tecmo New Astro City
Ericthegreat
Please Continue...
eBay: ericthegreat777
Initials: ECM

Re: Nanao MS9-29A Video Interference

Post by Ericthegreat »

I had same issue but filter cap fixed it, I would be willing to bet it is those missing caps if they are some of the larger ones.
zed7
Please Continue...

Post by zed7 »

They're one tenth the size of the filter, so it is unlikely they will fix the issue; however, I do intend to replace them first before going more extensive routes to fix the monitor
Tecmo New Astro City
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

the 100uf 35v caps are critical in the vertical circuit so when you get a chance replace them

that wave going through the screen looks to be external, earth/ ground problem, dirty power source, interference in signal from game board, +5 far too high on power supply

if it were degauss or filter cap fault it would be more pronounced
zed7
Please Continue...

Post by zed7 »

grantspain wrote: October 15th, 2021, 5:42 am the 100uf 35v caps are critical in the vertical circuit so when you get a chance replace them

that wave going through the screen looks to be external, earth/ ground problem, dirty power source, interference in signal from game board, +5 far too high on power supply

if it were degauss or filter cap fault it would be more pronounced
Thank you for giving me this input, I should have the caps within 2 weeks. I believe I have had the 5v set to 5.1v on the power supply, so that may be an issue?

I confirmed that the tube does not go to earth ground in any way, so that should be fine. My Prof at school believes a regulator in the power supply circuit for the monitor may be the issue, which after caps, I intend to scope the monitor to see if I can find where the frequency is being let in.
Tecmo New Astro City
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

if the reg was bad the b+ would not be stable at 74-76vdc
zed7
Please Continue...

Post by zed7 »

Well... the monitor stopped working. I replaced the caps first to see if that was the issue, it was not.

Confirmed both MOSFETs I have should be fine, and not the issue either. Monitor stays in HV Shutdown and will chirp or click 1 or 2 minutes after turning off. The B+ seems to surge to 100VDC+ and then immediately lowers back down to around 30V or less. I suppose something in the primary PSU circuit was on its way out, letting AC ripple in, causing the interference. I'm not too sure where to start.
Tecmo New Astro City
mikejmoffitt
eBay: 7raster

Post by mikejmoffitt »

Is this chassis being used in its original cabinet and frame? If you are using one you got elsewhere, check that it isn't missing the two blue X capacitors underneath the large power resistor in the primary power supply section. I have had similar patterns when those were not populated, albeit with an MS9-29T variant.