MS9 vertical collapse?

For monitor related issues
Daniel B.
Please Continue...
eBay: sanwaelephant
Initials: DAN

MS9 vertical collapse?

Post by Daniel B. »

I have this information in the cabs section as I was originally troubleshooting power issue years ago.

I've had this can for 15 years, but life and priorities have always prevented me from getting much done.

When I bought the cab, I am pretty sure there was a picture displaying on the tube, but it may have been a bit funky, I can't recall for sure.

I've cleaned the cab and managed to get the ms9 to fire up, but I'm suffering vertical collapse.

I immediately searched online for the issue, and found tons of good info from grantspain about the possible causes.

I ordered 2 replacement vertical ICs and replaced one yesterday, and this is what I get.
20210516_171336.jpg
I see it as a win. Because I'm not the best guy with an iron. I did discover there's some other things to consider, and I may have a bad replacement part.

I am unsure what to do next. I pulled the chassis again to inspect parts near the vertical area. Lots of damage it looks like. (Posting from mobile, see attachment)

I also discovered this, have no idea.
20210516_133133.jpg
I'm willing to do some basic stuff, maybe reheating or adding solder to pads, maybe replacing some likely components but I don't want to do too much for fear of creating a bigger issue for someone more trained to do such repairs.

I know I likely have $200 worth of repairs if I ship it off to arcadecup but I'd be keen to get some ideas of what I could try prior to this.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
grantspain
Tech Head

Re: MS9 vertical collapse?

Post by grantspain »

you will need to replace the electrolytic capacitors and have at hand a couple of 220ohm and 100ohm 1 watt metal oxide resistors
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

Get it sent away for a full service. 8-)
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

yes if your soldering skills are not top notch then send it away or you will make it worse
Daniel B.
Please Continue...
eBay: sanwaelephant
Initials: DAN

Post by Daniel B. »

Thanks for helping me keep my sanity with this process. I've waited so long for this, I'll not rush it and screw the entire thing up.

Really grateful for your opinions and time.