What Arcade Monitor should I get for Emulator like MAME on PC?

For monitor related issues
Forum rules
ArcadeOtaku forum introduction & rules
chriszhxi
eBay: chriszhxi

What Arcade Monitor should I get for Emulator like MAME on PC?

Postby chriszhxi » October 12th, 2017, 4:06 am

I'm planning to get a real arcade monitor for my emulators on pc, cause I want the real authentic image feeling of arcade.

My original thought was to buy a whole Japanese Cabinet, but it's too big for me right now.

I play various arcade games from late 80's to early 00's. I know there are a lot of different resolutions for those games, so I need a monitor capable of displaying them all or mostly.

I see some Cabinets like ATOMISWAVE SD, EGRET 3 TAITO JAMMA can display CGA/EGA/VGA, and also good for pc.

What monitors do those use? Can I get them somewhere? Or Is there any other monitor I can consider? Thanks.
spmbx

Re: What Arcade Monitor should I get for Emulator like MAME on PC?

Postby spmbx » October 12th, 2017, 6:11 am

Honestly a loose 29" monitor would take up just as much space as an entire cab. A loose monitor without housing would be very annoying (and potentially dangerous) too, and usually it's a pain in the **** to buy a loose monitor. If you want "authentic image" you will want to use the Original resolution, so you won't have a need for a trisync or 31k VGA monitor. Although connecting those with a PC on 640*480 fixed resolution and adding a scanline overlay is perfect and hassle-free.

I think your best bet would be to pick up a good CRT TV for a few pennies and connect a PC with rgbscart/crtemudriver. That will give you the authentic image in Original resolution for everything. The only downside, apart from setting it up, would be that it can be a pain in the **** to adjust the picture on a TV if you switch between a lot of different resolutions/game systems in MAME. On an arcade monitors you have handy pots for image size and position etc, on a TV you usually have to fiddle around in a service menu which gets old fast. Personally i game on a small 14" commodore monitor with easy adjustments, but that's not to everyone's tastes i think.
keropi
eBay: sainshov

Postby keropi » October 12th, 2017, 11:05 am

I agree with spmbx , an arcade monitor outside a cab is really a cumbersome thing. The Commodore 1084 monitors are a good solution - just like using a PVM/BVM monitor which can be bought in larger sizes than 14" but more expensive (but with better image quality as expected)
I used a 1084 in my tests before I went the crtemudrive/groovymame route for my cab and I was really pleased with the result.

a PVM/BVM would be the same but with better image quality (make no mistake though the 1084 is a really really nice 15khz rgb monitor, the photos don't do it justice)
spmbx

Postby spmbx » October 12th, 2017, 3:24 pm

A pvm/bvm, also depending on age and model etc, would definitely give a different picture than a commodore monitor. I wouldn't necessarily call it better. But yeah i completely forgot to mention pvm, bvm and similar grailmonitors. A good option too if you can get them for a good price (or feel like spending stupid money)
nem

Postby nem » October 12th, 2017, 3:31 pm

spmbx wrote:I think your best bet would be to pick up a good CRT TV for a few pennies and connect a PC with rgbscart/crtemudriver.

The problem with this is that OP is in the US. There are no cheap CRT TVs with RGB connectors.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Postby cools » October 12th, 2017, 4:00 pm

Don't bother with an arcade monitor, just grab any old broadcast monitor you can find with RGB input.
pubjoe wrote:Knowing kernow has hardened me.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Postby cools » October 12th, 2017, 4:30 pm

spmbx

Postby spmbx » October 12th, 2017, 8:58 pm

cools wrote:https://www.reddit.com/r/crtgaming/comments/73jn7u/crt_listings_oct_2017/

I'd rather play games through composite on an lcd than pay those prices.
Sunder
eBay: sunderaj82
Initials: SUN

Postby Sunder » October 12th, 2017, 9:31 pm

Prices aren't THAT bad.
Also you could potentially just mod your north american non-rgb CRTs for RGB use.
pubjoe
Fosters Political Ambitions

Postby pubjoe » October 12th, 2017, 9:34 pm

Container of UK CRTs to the US. :think:
markedkiller78
Not gay, "adventurous"
eBay: markedkiller78
Initials: MAL

Postby markedkiller78 » October 12th, 2017, 10:01 pm

spmbx wrote:
cools wrote:https://www.reddit.com/r/crtgaming/comments/73jn7u/crt_listings_oct_2017/

I'd rather play games through composite on an lcd than pay those prices.

I'd rather have a cyber razer cut than use ****.

There are as many at $10-50 as there are $400-1000 in that thread.
spmbx

Postby spmbx » October 13th, 2017, 5:42 am

I agree having a razorcut and using composite is a tough choice. Scanning through that thread i don't really get the idea there are that many $10-$50 pvm's or whatever inthere, but i admit i couldn't be bothered to keep count. If i look locally, various **** made it so that PVM's usually go for over 200.
markedkiller78
Not gay, "adventurous"

Postby markedkiller78 » October 13th, 2017, 5:58 am

It's the JVC and and assortment of non Sony CRTs that are cheap as chips.

PVM / BVM are "retro" now and have the price to match :problem: I didn't jump straight to BVM. I had a £30 Beovision first. I think a decent 17"-21" RGB monitor can be had for $50 or local equivalent if you have patience and are willing to travel a bit for pick up
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Postby cools » October 13th, 2017, 9:20 am

spmbx wrote:Scanning through that thread

There are a lot of questions in that subreddit that we generally take for granted as having "easy" answers. Quite surprising how much technical info is here.
yosai
280bpm's too slow

Postby yosai » October 13th, 2017, 10:40 am

chriszhxi wrote:I'm planning to get a real arcade monitor for my emulators on pc, cause I want the real authentic image feeling of arcade

If you want an attentive experience get a cab. A PFX sitting on your desk isn't going to improve your experience greatly. What after that? Getting an Astro control panel wired to a supergun then a PC?

Use your PC as is, enjoy it. When you've got the space get a cab.
kernow wrote:I'd have my mouth on her **** quicker than a tramp on chips
Rossyra
Supermod

Postby Rossyra » October 13th, 2017, 11:37 am

CRTs going begging isn't as prevalent a thing as it used to be, we're at least 10 years past the point where the majority of people were clearing them out. I don't believe that's even up for debate, like Mark says, it's now grail territory. All the big talk of 'get one locally for pennies' must be great for those falling over all these masses of CRTs on their doorstep.

If you can get one local for cheap/free, lucky you, but bringing one in from somewhere else might be the only realistic option if you must have a CRT and don't want to sit around for an indefinite amount of time waiting for one to fall into your lap.

I paid £350 delivered for my PVM 20L4 (from The Netherlands) and I would pay that again in a heartbeat. I was actively looking for any reasonable CRT (consumer or otherwise) locally for about 5 years. I found maybe 3-4, mostly worn out pieces of **** that ended up in the tip.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Postby cools » October 13th, 2017, 12:56 pm

markedkiller78 wrote:It's the JVC and and assortment of non Sony CRTs that are cheap as chips.

Only if they're not retro.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/jvc-dt-v1710c ... SwfrJZywcb
spmbx

Postby spmbx » October 13th, 2017, 1:19 pm

Rossyra wrote:CRTs going begging isn't as prevalent a thing as it used to be, we're at least 10 years past the point where the majority of people were clearing them out. I don't believe that's even up for debate, like Mark says, it's now grail territory. All the big talk of 'get one locally for pennies' must be great for those falling over all these masses of CRTs on their doorstep.

If you can get one local for cheap/free, lucky you, but bringing one in from somewhere else might be the only realistic option if you must have a CRT and don't want to sit around for an indefinite amount of time waiting for one to fall into your lap.

I paid £350 delivered for my PVM 20L4 (from The Netherlands) and I would pay that again in a heartbeat. I was actively looking for any reasonable CRT (consumer or otherwise) locally for about 5 years. I found maybe 3-4, mostly worn out pieces of **** that ended up in the tip.

Seems the market is different here than in your part of the UK. I can still pick up plenty of Sony CRT's for pennies and/or cheap. I'm pretty sure i could load up my car with CRT's if i took along 50 euros and drive around for an afternoon. PVM/BVM now that's a different story. I think the turning point came 1 or 2 years ago. Before that you could pick them up (not locally) for 20 to 50 eur, advertised in the professional AV sections. Nowadays usually they are usually already advertised as "retro aming monitor" usually having mario or something on screen for about 300 euros or sometimes more. Personally it's otten way past the point that i would find acceptable. For me personally speaking, i could justify the difference between a free consumer CRT or a 50eur PVM, but not between a free consumer CRT and a 350GBP PVM.

Edit: the only affordable PVM locally at the moment, you just have to hold the power button because the guy busted it. Seems to work fine if you do :)
https://www.marktplaats.nl/a/audio-tv-e ... efect.html

Anyway, getting off track here, i do wonder what the topicstarter is going to do...
Last edited by spmbx on October 13th, 2017, 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zak
eBay: hasan_matar

Postby zak » October 13th, 2017, 1:20 pm

cools wrote:
markedkiller78 wrote:It's the JVC and and assortment of non Sony CRTs that are cheap as chips.

Only if they're not retro.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/jvc-dt-v1710c ... SwfrJZywcb

Or used, but never used:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/sony-bkm-129x ... SwEKNZz8Ef
markedkiller78
Not gay, "adventurous"

Postby markedkiller78 » October 13th, 2017, 1:49 pm

Classic Rickmansworth, NOTNOS

Return to “Monitor Q&A”