VOTE NOW. Post count for marketplace access?

Arcade games, artwork, kit pieces...
Topics are pruned after 90 days of inactivity.

How many posts should someone have to access the marketplace?

Poll ended at October 10th, 2017, 4:43 pm

44%
20%
12%
18%
5%

Total votes: 166

Monstermug
eBay: Monstermug
Initials: SON

Re: VOTE NOW. Post count for marketplace access?

Post by Monstermug » September 12th, 2017, 8:59 pm

I was going to choose 100 but realised that I wouldn't be allowed to sell anything :oops:

landisama
eBay: cameliacomicfan
Initials: AND

Post by landisama » September 13th, 2017, 11:02 am

Sellers should have more posts than buyers.
It's not a problem that a person buys something on this forum. He pays in advance for his item to be delivered. He doesn't need credibility.
For a seller it is completely different. You have to have some credibility in order to sell items that generally cost hundreds (thousands) euros.

Michaelm

Post by Michaelm » September 13th, 2017, 3:15 pm

landisama wrote:Sellers should have more posts than buyers.
It's not a problem that a person buys something on this forum. He pays in advance for his item to be delivered. He doesn't need credibility.
For a seller it is completely different. You have to have some credibility in order to sell items that generally cost hundreds (thousands) euros.
In essence a very good point but credibility is not equal to a high post count.
Someone can have 1K+ posts all about good stuff but still not be reliable in trade.
Also if it would be someone's very first sale ever he or she has no way of showing some credibility in that sense.

I've voted for 1 if that wasn't clear already :)

landisama
eBay: cameliacomicfan
Initials: AND

Post by landisama » September 14th, 2017, 10:53 am

I don't think so. In theory, a user with 100+ posts on Arcade Otaku can be as fraudulent as a person with 1 post, as you said. However, I do not think that a member who put a lot of time into the forum by reading and writing various posts would be ready to be banned from the community with the same hobby as his own.

Wurstkopp
Mister Dick Statue
eBay: nachmittagsprogramm
Initials: NIK

Post by Wurstkopp » September 14th, 2017, 7:04 pm

Changed my mind, voting for 100 posts minimum.

zak
eBay: NA

Post by zak » September 14th, 2017, 7:15 pm

Wurstkopp wrote:Changed my mind, voting for 100 posts minimum.
Hahahahaha! :lol: Beat me to it :D

Flinnster
eBay: flinnster
Initials: KID

Post by Flinnster » September 14th, 2017, 7:19 pm

If there are issues with multiple sellers **** off the community then sure, some barriers can be put in place to try and discourage them, but as others have mentioned most of these things can be bypassed in one way or another. The minimum post count would at least stop people creating multiple fake accounts to sell stuff however, which seems a good thing in theory.

Ultimately though, the community is usually pretty good at voicing concerns and calling out when stuff goes wrong, and warn others on getting burnt in the same way from the same people.
So really, karma tends to even it all out in the end...?

Also I'm on some other forums (non arcadey stuff) where the trading areas are pretty much stone cold dead. Having such lively trade / sell / want areas are a really interesting part of the arcade scene I think, and provide a lot of the energy in keeping it all alive (not to mention getting people meeting in person 'IRL' and then discovering all manner of other stuff in the process) :D

slugflyer

Post by slugflyer » September 15th, 2017, 7:32 am

10 posts. If you haven't done 10 posts then you really aren't a member of this community, even if you just browse - 10 posts isn't a lot to ask.

Spectrexcwk
eBay: Spectrexcwk
Initials: Nwb

Post by Spectrexcwk » September 15th, 2017, 8:46 am

bagheera369 wrote:Im gonna say that if its not broke, don't fix it.

That being said, I keep up with AO, Neo, KLOV, and ArcProj, at least every couple days, if not every day.

I do float in the markets mostly, but do my best to share info, or chime in on things where I have the time, and the knowledge, outside of them.

We don't really have anything but our rep....and even if you have 1,000 posts, you can still be a dick...or be bad for the market.....and you can have 2 posts, and still provide a good home for someone's sale item, or have something worth selling here that people need.

Pushing folks out of the market, drives those buyers and items to ebay, and other places, where the price is usually higher, the risks of **** buyers and sellers is definitely higher, and the group mentality that exists here is totally gone.

No one wants leaches, but being overly protective of the market is just as bad. All of us would like to see new items in the market, and all of us are looking for that next board, or part, or poster...whether we can afford it at the moment or not. Putting all of that behind a huge post count, will slow the influx of new stuff, or people sharing their collections or items at all....and the market will stagnate. We are a niche market to start....any stagnation here will be harmful to the community in the long run.

I dont have the years here that alot of folks have, but I have years in the hobby, and in the business, so let that count for what it may.

That's my 2 cents....like it, love it, or leave it.
I fully agree with this. I think more than 1 post is potentially harmful. If someone joins just to sell me Cadillacs and dinosaurs that IS a contribution to the community. That would enable me to post high scores and engage with other c&d owners. If someone here needs $$ to buy a grail, they are likely to turn to the marketplace to offload less important stuff. If a 1 post member buys that, it’s also a contribution to the forum. The seller can now have their grail and post in the gallery, log a high score, or ask for help getting it working.

Unless the market consists solely of 1 post buyers and 1 post sellers, we should see a net gain to the site overall.

LEGENOARYNINLIA
Still pantless?
eBay: jeffrymcmild

Post by LEGENOARYNINLIA » September 15th, 2017, 9:32 am

slugflyer wrote:10 posts. If you haven't done 10 posts then you really aren't a member of this community, even if you just browse - 10 posts isn't a lot to ask.
But would 10 posts of spam verify someone as a member of this community? Sure, 10 posts isn't a lot to ask in theory, but if everyone's post count was reset to 0 and they had to make those 10 posts just to see what's on sale right now I have to admit that I'd personally feel like I was literally spamming. I did it at Jamma+ and it was a very awkward experience.

What about limiting the ability to send private messages until a certain post count has been reached?

SuperPang
Master or Universe

Post by SuperPang » September 21st, 2017, 2:16 pm

Bump to page 1.

Rossyra
Supermod

Post by Rossyra » September 21st, 2017, 5:07 pm

Current snapshot:

Keep it as is: 66 (43%)
Raise it: 86 (57%)

SuperPang
Master or Universe

Post by SuperPang » September 21st, 2017, 5:18 pm

Only 5% off a Brexit!

Spectrexcwk
eBay: Spectrexcwk
Initials: Nwb

Post by Spectrexcwk » September 24th, 2017, 11:50 am

Just want to give a real life example of my defense of 1 post.

Pianela has like 4 posts. 1 of them was a response to my request for a netdimm and gdrom setup. That hardware now sits in my room. Once I get a new bios eeprom (potentially from a pianela post again) I can post in the gallery, and discuss my inability to get to the final stage of border down.

I’ve aready got a group of friends ready to come over and play cvs2 once I get the bios.

Is this not contributing to the community?

This is a pretty niche hobby. This forum imo is predominantly focused on a small part (candy cabs and Japanese games) of an already small hobby. Why put up any barriers between people crazy and passionate enough to be here?

cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools » September 30th, 2017, 10:50 am

Not long to go!

geotrig
Potato!
eBay: ._.

Post by geotrig » October 2nd, 2017, 12:43 pm

so is it 4 options added against 1 ?

SuperPang
Master or Universe

Post by SuperPang » October 2nd, 2017, 12:47 pm

No.

Capoz
eBay: Capozhwm

Post by Capoz » October 2nd, 2017, 2:26 pm

Spectrexcwk wrote:Just want to give a real life example of my defense of 1 post.

Pianela has like 4 posts. 1 of them was a response to my request for a netdimm and gdrom setup. That hardware now sits in my room. Once I get a new bios eeprom (potentially from a pianela post again) I can post in the gallery, and discuss my inability to get to the final stage of border down.

I’ve aready got a group of friends ready to come over and play cvs2 once I get the bios.

Is this not contributing to the community?

This is a pretty niche hobby. This forum imo is predominantly focused on a small part (candy cabs and Japanese games) of an already small hobby. Why put up any barriers between people crazy and passionate enough to be here?
:slowclap: :slowclap: :slowclap: :slowclap: :slowclap: :slowclap: :slowclap: :slowclap:

SuperPang
Master or Universe

Post by SuperPang » October 12th, 2017, 5:34 pm

Business as usual then. Thanks for your input.