VOTE NOW. Post count for marketplace access?

Arcade games, artwork, kit pieces...
Topics are pruned after 90 days of inactivity.

How many posts should someone have to access the marketplace?

Poll ended at October 10th, 2017, 4:43 pm

44%
20%
12%
18%
5%

Total votes: 166

DaveyD
eBay: Dr_Daph
Initials: DPD

Re: VOTE NOW. Post count for marketplace access?

Post by DaveyD » September 11th, 2017, 12:23 pm

You often see cross-forum for sale ads, so people have the same ad up on here, J+, and ukvac. If people can buy it elsewhere on the other forums, then it makes having to get a higher post count on here pointless

Stompp
eBay: uridium
Initials: DAD

Post by Stompp » September 11th, 2017, 12:23 pm

mythos wrote:limit access for sale but not for purchase.
Don't we already have that in a way? You need to have or be able to provide feedback from another site before you're allowed to sell. Or did I miss something? Honestly I think that is sufficient. I voted 25 but thinking of changing it for 1 :think:

Shadolf
eBay: 1984indigo

Post by Shadolf » September 11th, 2017, 1:00 pm

Is this about fewing the marketplace in general or just about selling stuff at the marketplace?
I voted for 10, but it´s a bit more complicated then just minimum of 10 posts, I think.
For seller there should be definately a minimum of 10 to 25 posts I think.
So someone with bad selling reputation can´t just open a new account every other day.
The first 10 posts or so should be checked by admins, to prevent people posting nonsense just to up the counter.

nem

Post by nem » September 11th, 2017, 1:16 pm

Shadolf wrote:So someone with bad selling reputation can´t just open a new account every other day.
Has this happened before?

gray117

Post by gray117 » September 11th, 2017, 1:53 pm

I like the idea of member-contributor access ... but there's going to be plenty of shier participants - especially non-english speakers - who drop in and will have very few posts. There's also some of the (less game orientated?) inclined innovators that come from elsewhere to offer products/services that it would be a shame to put a barrier in front of. Or just others more active on another forum/facebook/such kind of community only.

I think a lot of people's interaction with such a hobby comes from making the jump between having seen arcade kit around, to the 'oh I could have this at home' kind of realization. Let alone the images/lists in the marketplace threads which essentially give you much greater insight into how people go about this hobby.

So overall, I'd be inclined towards instant accessibility unless there are more concerns over the quality of posts/trades than is immediately obvious to me.

The only alternatives (to prevent post spamming) would be time of membership (similar issues imho in terms of accessibility), or some kind of direct application to marketplace - where users-to-be could point to their other interactions in other communities/feedback/project work etc. and thus get a shortcut to access - but I image this would be extremely time consuming for mods, and would likely be the de facto case for practically every account that gets requested/authorized for basic sign up...

cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools » September 11th, 2017, 2:13 pm

R2-2D wrote::D
cools wrote:
R2-2D wrote:Brits and their referendums..
We do love a good vote campaign.
FWIW the way it is currently set up is my personal preference and solely my decision originally. When I'm actively looking for something (arcade or otherwise) to buy, or if I'm trying to sell something of niche interest - I don't want a large barrier between me and the purchase/sale. I believe it's far healthier for this type of trading to be easy.

Open to bots/public viewing. Closed for 0 post members. Open for single post members (you've done the courtesy of at least saying hi). Rules take over then.

There have been lots of suggestions of post count restriction over the years and this poll is a way of seeing how people feel (no, yes, fascist) about it.

Capoz
eBay: Capozhwm

Post by Capoz » September 11th, 2017, 3:18 pm

IMHO is a very stupid thing,
many people start to approch to this hobby with the forum market, after many years we can't speak about the same game, the same system

if you put this system you will find many stupid post of people that have to reach the minumun for access to the market

LegoYoda
eBay: neomonster
Initials: AGD

Post by LegoYoda » September 11th, 2017, 3:49 pm

R2-2D wrote:Brits and their referendums..
We should really know we're not very good at them and stop... Now... ;)

geotrig
Potato!
eBay: ._.

Post by geotrig » September 11th, 2017, 7:05 pm

The more I think about ,I think the current way is fine ,and as cools put it makes sense.

I'd still like people to post once in a while is there a way to restrict by At least a post a month or 3 ?

mufunyo
eBay: mufunyo
Initials: MUF

Post by mufunyo » September 11th, 2017, 7:13 pm

Leave it at 1. If there are problems, fix those, don't try to bandage it with an artificial post barrier that will drive quality sales away from the AO marketplace.

Dache

Post by Dache » September 11th, 2017, 8:06 pm

I'd say leave it at 1 as well, or if there has to be an increase, then I'd say no more than 10 posts. There are those of us who check the forum daily and read most of the subforums and are very interested in the community and what happens here, but just don't post that much. I'm quiet on most forums and social media as a rule because that's just the kind of person I am, and it'd suck to be unable to see what cool and interesting things end up on the marketplace, even if I have no interest in buying most of it. Getting geeky goosebumps over obscure arcade hardware gets me through the day!

Rossyra
Supermod

Post by Rossyra » September 11th, 2017, 8:14 pm

That's the most compelling reasoning I've heard yet.

Dache

Post by Dache » September 11th, 2017, 8:36 pm

Well, on top of other good reasons already posted by others. :shifty:

PrincessPrinPrin
eBay: *mkl*
Initials: MKL

Post by PrincessPrinPrin » September 11th, 2017, 9:00 pm

Dache wrote:I'd say leave it at 1 as well, or if there has to be an increase, then I'd say no more than 10 posts. There are those of us who check the forum daily and read most of the subforums and are very interested in the community and what happens here, but just don't post that much. I'm quiet on most forums and social media as a rule because that's just the kind of person I am, and it'd suck to be unable to see what cool and interesting things end up on the marketplace, even if I have no interest in buying most of it. Getting geeky goosebumps over obscure arcade hardware gets me through the day!
I can agree for buyers... but for sellers? I hate to see sellers (mostly Italians and French) that constantly try to offload their stuff in the marketplace and never post in regular sections.

geotrig
Potato!
eBay: ._.

Post by geotrig » September 11th, 2017, 9:21 pm

I only hate it when it says very rare when in fact it's probably just shut :lol:

LEGENOARYNINLIA
Still pantless?
eBay: jeffrymcmild

Post by LEGENOARYNINLIA » September 11th, 2017, 10:04 pm

I've noticed in different hobbies that some regions just don't want to play along. There's no way Italians, French, etc can be forced to join the discussion.

I'm changing my vote to 1, but I stand by my wish that everyone would try to keep their post counts above their trader score.

richmal
eBay: rich28red
Initials: MAL

Post by richmal » September 12th, 2017, 4:36 am

Dache wrote:I'd say leave it at 1 as well, or if there has to be an increase, then I'd say no more than 10 posts. There are those of us who check the forum daily and read most of the subforums and are very interested in the community and what happens here, but just don't post that much. I'm quiet on most forums and social media as a rule because that's just the kind of person I am, and it'd suck to be unable to see what cool and interesting things end up on the marketplace, even if I have no interest in buying most of it. Getting geeky goosebumps over obscure arcade hardware gets me through the day!
This is me also :)
I've learned so much from this forum in particular just reading but not posting.

meyerli
eBay: meyerli0
Initials: MAN

Post by meyerli » September 12th, 2017, 7:11 am

I would also go for one post, but it should be within the introduction thread:
https://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=8775

But not sure if this could be handled automatically.

Shadolf
eBay: 1984indigo

Post by Shadolf » September 12th, 2017, 8:27 am

nem wrote:
Shadolf wrote:So someone with bad selling reputation can´t just open a new account every other day.
Has this happened before?
I don't know. I came to this thought After my last buying experience. At last I got my working system, but took me about 4 to 5 mounth. Cause ar last I got what I payed for, I don't gave bad feedback. But IT came to my mind how easy it World be for a seller with no much reputation at all to switch to a new account, in case he wants to rip off people.

Was just a thought. In general I'm for low access barriers.

Dracoel

Post by Dracoel » September 12th, 2017, 9:37 am

This vote should only be allowed to users with 500+ posts.

Just remove marketplace !
[+] Spoiler...
Then, choose a secret number (25, 50, +)
People will discovered the marketplace as a "bonus".
Marketplace will become a functionality offered by AO more than a front door : o)